HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #31
Supremacy Member

Yeah. Canít imagine the nagging for 10 years every time we put in the car seat.

Indeed CX5 was at going below 120k on the July bid for premium. TKE no longer carry 2.5 model. CX5 top trim is still going at 15-18k pricier than Forester.

Forester 2020 comes with apple car play.
Happy wife, happy life!

Actually for most people, the car seat is gonna be like there "permanently" after you install until you need to reconfigure or "upgrade" when they grow up, unless you're gonna always ferry others at the backseat without the baby. Or unless you are using those travel system which you detach and secure it every time. I used to use the travel system style, its ok but not the most secure since it doesn't use ISOfix, upgraded to a seat that suits from 0 to 7YO and never looked back.

If you really have to install/uninstall the child seat on a frequent basis, i think you really should consider Forester as the door opening is much wider which helps a lot by not getting in the way, of course you must be parked somewhere which allows the door to be fully opened to utilise this feature.

Another thing to note, for Subaru, you can't install window tint on the windscreen as it'll obstruct the eyesight cameras and will cause problem
Conan1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #32

Subaru drivetrain can last longer than most think and fc is probably on par with cx-5. For the safety, you will appreciate more if you go msia often with its adaptive cruise. Size is generous. Can tint front window too since MI has confirmed with jp. Subaru devised this cvt had help them to improve on FC.

Happy wife, happy life!

Actually for most people, the car seat is gonna be like there "permanently" after you install until you need to reconfigure or "upgrade" when they grow up, unless you're gonna always ferry others at the backseat without the baby. Or unless you are using those travel system which you detach and secure it every time. I used to use the travel system style, its ok but not the most secure since it doesn't use ISOfix, upgraded to a seat that suits from 0 to 7YO and never looked back.

If you really have to install/uninstall the child seat on a frequent basis, i think you really should consider Forester as the door opening is much wider which helps a lot by not getting in the way, of course you must be parked somewhere which allows the door to be fully opened to utilise this feature.

Another thing to note, for Subaru, you can't install window tint on the windscreen as it'll obstruct the eyesight cameras and will cause problem
anytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #33

I’m in the same boat as TS. Looked at both Forester and CX-5, in the end I went for Forester due to it’s space, safety features and best bang for bucks.

CX-5 does looks nicer and better than forester and it depends on what you want or like. For me, I went on practicality.

Window tint at the windscreen is possible and confirmed as well by MI. You can also top up a bit to get the Apple/Android headunit. Features wise, forester has its better than CX-5.

My kids are growing up in sizes and would prefer better space at the back.
cloudwane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #34

Iím in the same boat as TS. Looked at both Forester and CX-5, in the end I went for Forester due to itís space, safety features and best bang for bucks.

CX-5 does looks nicer and better than forester and it depends on what you want or like. For me, I went on practicality.

Window tint at the windscreen is possible and confirmed as well by MI. You can also top up a bit to get the Apple/Android headunit. Features wise, forester has its better than CX-5.

My kids are growing up in sizes and would prefer better space at the back.
Thanks. Exactly my predicament. I would have crossed the line with CX5 with the sportier design. But in practical sense, on you grow the family, or even with a small family but the need to ferry parents, CX5 just doesnít make the cut (CX9 is perfect but price is beyond my reach).

So I tested forester. Verdict:
1. Able to accommodate rear facing infant seat. Not one but two. If you 6foot / 180cm, you still have 1-2 inch to spare from the child seat frame.
2. Space is very generous. Can accommodate stroller, travel luggages, huge boxes without struggle.
3. Overwhelmed by the amount of info and buttons. Just too heavy information download.
4. Sunroof gives an impression the car is spacious.
5. Large windows - like omg it makes the entire car well lit for a morning / afternoon drive.
6. Felt slightly underpowered - though it is a 2.0, it takes a while to gradually pick up speed (with accelerator floored).
7. Rear seats can fit 3 adults reasonably comfortable.
8. Finishing is ďplastickyĒ. Lack of soft touches.
9. Apple CarPlay only comes with ďupgradeĒ.
10. Relatively large SUV, and if your spouse is driving this, may be a challenge.

Immediately after, I paid a visit to CX5, the rear does feel claustrophobic with a child seat. The middle seat might be too compact for a comfortable ride if an adult is seating in between. But CX5 finishing has an ďatasĒ factor undeniably.
crazythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #35
Master Member

U can try MG HS
Kia7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #36

Thanks. Exactly my predicament. I would have crossed the line with CX5 with the sportier design. But in practical sense, on you grow the family, or even with a small family but the need to ferry parents, CX5 just doesnít make the cut (CX9 is perfect but price is beyond my reach).

So I tested forester. Verdict:
1. Able to accommodate rear facing infant seat. Not one but two. If you 6foot / 180cm, you still have 1-2 inch to spare from the child seat frame.
2. Space is very generous. Can accommodate stroller, travel luggages, huge boxes without struggle.
3. Overwhelmed by the amount of info and buttons. Just too heavy information download.
4. Sunroof gives an impression the car is spacious.
5. Large windows - like omg it makes the entire car well lit for a morning / afternoon drive.
6. Felt slightly underpowered - though it is a 2.0, it takes a while to gradually pick up speed (with accelerator floored).
7. Rear seats can fit 3 adults reasonably comfortable.
8. Finishing is ďplastickyĒ. Lack of soft touches.
9. Apple CarPlay only comes with ďupgradeĒ.
10. Relatively large SUV, and if your spouse is driving this, may be a challenge.

Immediately after, I paid a visit to CX5, the rear does feel claustrophobic with a child seat. The middle seat might be too compact for a comfortable ride if an adult is seating in between. But CX5 finishing has an ďatasĒ factor undeniably.

Now you would have a better comparison on both cars. Safety comes to mind with the kiddos.

I do agree that wife would have trouble driving but itís more on parking and manoeuvre Iím close spaces as there are certain multi-stories carpark which can be harder. For driving on the road, itís should be easier to accommodate as itís a matter of getting used to the car.

Coming from continental car, Iím going to try Japanese car for another time. Ultimately, itís what you want.

CX5 price is higher and Forester as well and Mazda did not give a good deal on my current car trade in as well. So thatís another consideration point for me
Old 12-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #37

U can try MG HS
Looks good!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #38
Master Member

Looks good!
MIC car.
With the price can have lotz of other options. This brand a come back kid, suggest you wait and see.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #39
Supremacy Member

Buy outlander.. cheap and good
Interior dated but its value for money
Sg cnt drive too fast also
Able to cruise at 100-110 easily
emo3lmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #40
Master Member

Looks good!
Ya looks good but maybe too good to be true
Old 13-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #41
Master Member

U can try MG HS
This car looks good esp interior & review was pretty good. 1.5T @ 9.9s to 100kmh is quite decent. Only thing is whether people can get pass the MIC.
mel1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #42
Master Member

This car looks good esp interior & review was pretty good. 1.5T @ 9.9s to 100kmh is quite decent. Only thing is whether people can get pass the MIC.
Ya, the interior looks quite conti. Low road tax with good performance

If only MG can provide a 5-10yrs warranty, and the price can be more competitive then I guess they can have more market share in SG.
Old 14-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #43

From test drive I was really impressed with forester suspension. Over bumps and drain covers the forester really shines in terms of comfort.

The low CG (boxer engine and AWD) allows them to use softer springs without sacrificing on body roll.

Also if you prefer agent servicing, Mazda definitely not the cheapest. For example, 60k servicing for mazda3 is about $800. Regular service is about $300. May be good idea to negotiate for servicing package until warranty over.

Spare parts wise I hear from mechanics that mazda parts tend to be more expensive. But couldn't verify as the parts seem to last very long.

Last edited by dibromoethene; 14-07-2020 at 01:17 PM..
dibromoethene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

Itís very true Mazda AD servicing is expensive and IMO not worth it. Do outside workshop can easily save 50%. Subaru AD servicing also expensive but not as crazy.

What really turns me off at Mazda is that my service officer who dgaf, some others are much better and can plainly see the difference.
Conan1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #45
Master Member

From test drive I was really impressed with forester suspension. Over bumps and drain covers the forester really shines in terms of comfort.

The low CG (boxer engine and AWD) allows them to use softer springs without sacrificing on body roll.

Also if you prefer agent servicing, Mazda definitely not the cheapest. For example, 60k servicing for mazda3 is about $800. Regular service is about $300. May be good idea to negotiate for servicing package until warranty over.

Spare parts wise I hear from mechanics that mazda parts tend to be more expensive. But couldn't verify as the parts seem to last very long.
The a/c con parts - 3 years up lorry. Hearsay from air con shop.
My colleague ride, NA version, 3rd +, cooling coil up lorry. Thirsty car as is heavy.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.