www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Cars & Cars (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/)
-   -   Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5 (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/subaru-forester-mazda-cx-5-a-6329565.html)

crazythen 08-07-2020 12:32 AM

Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5

Car enthusiasts,

I am comparing the two above and couldnít cross the line. Key considerations:
- 1st car
- SUV
- Small family of 3
- Weekdays drive to send spouse to Jurong East to work and myself to CBD (from Northeast)
- occasional drive trip to Malaysia
- infant car seat rear facing (this is safer?)
- good handling and suspension
- affordable spare parts
- Reasonable fuel consumption
- good noise insulation
- safety
- eventually ideal for a family of 4
- Apple carplay

Based on the two above SUVs, which one should I opt for? Thanks.

sinistral 08-07-2020 07:14 AM

If you bring in fuel consumption, you have to strike off the Forester already. :s13:

If you don't mind a slightly smaller SUV, I would go for the CX-30 instead.

sanzhu 08-07-2020 07:31 AM

Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat Is the World's Most Powerful SUV

warr 08-07-2020 10:33 AM

CX-5: small space of essentially a 4-seater. more luxury fitting. more engaging drive. 2.0L engine for such a small car attracts unnecessarily higher road tax.

Forester: spacious interior, rugged style inside and outside, road presence. less luxurious interior than CX-5. boxer engine not efficient (not reliable in the past, but not sure now). high insurance. high fuel due to unnecessary AWD in city SG.

I'd choose Forester out of the above. Luxury interior gets old and forgotten quickly after 6 months, but space and road presence lasts forever. and CX-5 design is boring. Forester strikes out and ticks for me.

you should consider one more: Hyundai Tucson 1.6Turbo if it fits in the budget. better than CX-5 or Forester.

stylechap 08-07-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warr (Post 128304267)
you should consider one more: Hyundai Tucson 1.6Turbo if it fits in the budget. better than CX-5 or Forester.

Tarkson worse CO2 emissions of all 3
Still want to recommend

zzt231 08-07-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylechap (Post 128306138)
Still want to recommend

Worry about emission ,buy hybrid or ev...

Posted from PCWX using never on bended knees

oddeye82 08-07-2020 12:09 PM

I think most of people donít care abt CO2 emissions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylechap (Post 128306138)
Still want to recommend

stylechap 08-07-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzt231 (Post 128306293)
Worry about emission ,buy hybrid or ev...

Posted from PCWX using never on bended knees

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddeye82 (Post 128306912)
I think most of people don’t care abt CO2 emissions.

Let me quote him again :s13:
So both of you want to kill thousands prematurely also?

Quote:

Originally Posted by warr (Post 128186241)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq-sGQdzYGU

To quote his comment on VW Audi Skoda:
another mass extinction now: Numbers 3, 4 and 5: Volkswagen, and related shitbox brands Audi and Skoda. This is the company decided it was OK to kill thousands of people prematurely by cheating emissions regulations in a massive, global criminal conspiracy.

2359_hrs 08-07-2020 01:02 PM

Maintenance for Boxer engine is going to be more expensive in the long run. Like changing the spark plugs have to take out so many things to access the spark plugs because of the way the engine is positioned.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT

warr 08-07-2020 01:04 PM

Don't bring that into the topic. Wait until the "eco friendly" gov policy allows Tesla to sell tesla3. :s13:

Anyway, you can only wish the 10K carbon tax on Tucson is well spent by the gov to promote eco practices. At the same price with the carbon tax, it's a better choice.

crazythen 08-07-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warr (Post 128304267)
CX-5: small space of essentially a 4-seater. more luxury fitting. more engaging drive. 2.0L engine for such a small car attracts unnecessarily higher road tax.

Forester: spacious interior, rugged style inside and outside, road presence. less luxurious interior than CX-5. boxer engine not efficient (not reliable in the past, but not sure now). high insurance. high fuel due to unnecessary AWD in city SG.

I'd choose Forester out of the above. Luxury interior gets old and forgotten quickly after 6 months, but space and road presence lasts forever. and CX-5 design is boring. Forester strikes out and ticks for me.

Thanks. I will take a look at Tucson. The be fair I was looking at CRV and RAV4 as well before eliminating them for various reasons. The CX5 caught my attention. There is some novelty to the interior and exterior as well as the handling and ride. However, as a family car I am just concerned with the rear space. Particularly to fit in infant seat, rear facing. I am not keen on the eboxer though because you lose a spare tyre which is important for road trips in Msia.

Though is not politically and morally correct to say I am not worried about CO2 emission, I believe as an individual I have a negligible impact.

crazythen 08-07-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2359_hrs (Post 128308249)
Maintenance for Boxer engine is going to be more expensive in the long run. Like changing the spark plugs have to take out so many things to access the spark plugs because of the way the engine is positioned.

Thanks. Another reason to worry. But I heard they are ready to offer for 10 years warranty.

crazythen 08-07-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinistral (Post 128301082)
If you bring in fuel consumption, you have to strike off the Forester already. :s13:

If you don't mind a slightly smaller SUV, I would go for the CX-30 instead.

Is the Forrestsr FC really that bad? The eboxer is supposed to mitigate this, but it comes with its own problem that I am not ready to commit.

ktyandkyc 08-07-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazythen (Post 128309414)
Thanks. I will take a look at Tucson. The be fair I was looking at CRV and RAV4 as well before eliminating them for various reasons. The CX5 caught my attention. There is some novelty to the interior and exterior as well as the handling and ride. However, as a family car I am just concerned with the rear space. Particularly to fit in infant seat, rear facing. I am not keen on the eboxer though because you lose a spare tyre which is important for road trips in Msia.

Though is not politically and morally correct to say I am not worried about CO2 emission, I believe as an individual I have a negligible impact.

Y eliminate rav4? Harrier?

Sent from Xiaomi MI A3 using GAGT

2359_hrs 08-07-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazythen (Post 128309453)
Thanks. Another reason to worry. But I heard they are ready to offer for 10 years warranty.

That's for the engine block only right? The wear and tear parts like belts, chains, engine mounts, all these will cost more in terms of labor

Also the previous gen Forester are famous for aircon compressor failure and lower arm also wear out prematurely. Not sure whether they rectify for current gen. All these even if covered by warranty is quite frustrating and time consuming.