HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Tampering of Odometer

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Tampering of Odometer

I, recently, bought a second-hand car from InCarz of Commonwealth Avenue less then 2 months ago.

I sent it recently to the authorised dealer workshop today and found that the car's odometer had been adjusted from 140,000 in Sep-2012 (last service record) to about 60,000+ at point of purchase.

What are my options?
saysuzu likes this.
walterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #2

idk but since you already bought the car, there isnt much you can do without all the hassle. if its working fine then so be it i guess. asian cars should be able to pull off better and higher mileage imo, if its a conti car, really good luck with all the wear and tears.
saysuzu and solelabel like this.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

I, recently, bought a second-hand car from InCarz of Commonwealth Avenue less then 2 months ago.

I sent it recently to the authorised dealer workshop today and found that the car's odometer had been adjusted from 140,000 in Sep-2012 (last service record) to about 60,000+ at point of purchase.

What are my options?
common tricks to tamper. very very dishonest.

1) Go back to InCarz and bang table - Hopefully they can give you some discount/refund. (Maybe 1 x full servicing to change all the wear & tear)

2) LL suck thumb, live with it and blacklist InCarz
something and saysuzu like this.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #4

1) Go back to InCarz and bang table - Hopefully they can give you some discount/refund. (Maybe 1 x full servicing to change all the wear & tear)

I not sure whether it was InCarz that was at fault or the seller.

Surprised that InCarz isn't pursuing the matter with the previous seller or have not responded to me on this issue.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

I feel you bro.
A sad plus upset news to know that the mileage is more than 2 times of the amount shown.
You do have a case but pursuing maybe a challenge as far as I know there is not 'law' protecting the pre-owned car buyer ba although we have this 'lemon' law which do not know how it is applicable to re-sales vehicle as dealer will surely chui pattern de..
saysuzu likes this.
AL5509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Surprised that InCarz isn't pursuing the matter with the previous seller or have not responded to me on this issue.
so you think its the previous owner that tampered
saysuzu likes this.
Old 17-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #7

so you think its the previous owner that tampered
Don't know yet as InCarz hasn't revert back to me. InCarz should pursue with the previous car owner if it was so. Contractually, I can only pursue InCarz on this matter.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 17-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Don't know yet as InCarz hasn't revert back to me. InCarz should pursue with the previous car owner if it was so. Contractually, I can only pursue InCarz on this matter.
Think a lesson learnt, try to purchase any pre-owned car with AD's servicing records whereas possible.
However, as a driver too, many do not go back to AD for servicing once the warrenty period is over.
So really goto buy at your own risk.

Yet I will like to know what more can be done for such dishonest acts either by the dealers(99%) or direct sellers(1%).
saysuzu likes this.
Old 17-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Master Member

In some occasions, both parties are fudging the mileage.

The previous owner altered it before selling it to the 2nd hand dealer, the dealer altered it again before selling it.

As the TS indicated, original mileage of 140k wind back to 60k, it is possible it has been wound back twice.
Supersen, saysuzu and adrianwang74 like this.
Chalkycliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

go bang table ask them to change all belts, water pumps etc for free loh.
saysuzu likes this.
jittery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

In some occasions, both parties are fudging the mileage.

The previous owner altered it before selling it to the 2nd hand dealer, the dealer altered it again before selling it.

As the TS indicated, original mileage of 140k wind back to 60k, it is possible it has been wound back twice.
How to value a car of same make and year with a 140K mileage and 60K mileage? Assuming the car is high end model.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 17-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
tk
Supremacy Member

Most cases of odo tampering is done by 2nd hand car dealers.. only very very very very rarely would a private seller tamper..
saysuzu likes this.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Think a lesson learnt, try to purchase any pre-owned car with AD's servicing records whereas possible.
However, as a driver too, many do not go back to AD for servicing once the warrenty period is over.
So really goto buy at your own risk.

Yet I will like to know what more can be done for such dishonest acts either by the dealers(99%) or direct sellers(1%).
I second that option... for a car at 140K a lot of wear and tear and maintenance required...

TS should go back to the dealer and if necessary go to CASE.
saysuzu likes this.
trd2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Pls share the car make and model. Which sales man u got it from? Saw a car there before..and din get a gd impression of them...
saysuzu likes this.
tennisball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

I second that option... for a car at 140K a lot of wear and tear and maintenance required...

TS should go back to the dealer and if necessary go to CASE.
Heard lot of stories, buyers went back to dealers after discovered it being tampered.
End up, just a few thousands the most as an act of compensation.
I personally find all these are 8u S#T!
But sad but true that the law is not really stepping in and press hard on such dishonest act.
That is the reason why it is still happened.
:-(
saysuzu likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.