Taxi Driver Lip Lai

ft7001

Reaction score
I just took my TDVL exams yesterday. Passed all my 4 Modules on my first attempt at Singapore Taxi Academy. I don't intend to become a full time taxi driver as I only want the license to keep in my pocket for rainy day. Maybe become relief driver and drive only a few days of the week to earn some pocket money.

Well done bro. Anyway, I just started my 2nd module this evening. Final test will be 4th April. Yeah, intend to keep the lisence too. If time permits, maybe drive PT for the fun of it. Make some spare cash too.

Geminian1970

Reaction score
I know many taxi drivers earned at least $5K-$7K/mth as a OMO because they showed me their proof of earnings via screenshots of their MDT but they also told me that it is very easy to chalk up demerit points under the DIPS and VLPS. So it is really tough to make a living as a taxi driver because the more you drive, the higher the chance for accidents and being caught by LTA for various offenses like picking up and dropping off passengers at prohibited spots as the passengers insist on being picked up or dropped off at those spots.

You will be suspended immediately for at least 2 weeks once you hit 6 demerit points. And you will face an additional 2 weeks suspension for the next 3 demerit points thereafter and 4 weeks suspension once you accumulated 11 points & above. No wonder so many of the 100K+TDVL holders are not active.

Geminian1970

Reaction score
Well done bro. Anyway, I just started my 2nd module this evening. Final test will be 4th April. Yeah, intend to keep the lisence too. If time permits, maybe drive PT for the fun of it. Make some spare cash too.

Thanks :) I guess it was easy for graduates like me to pass the exams but it was a struggle for many of my course mates especially the older ones. Good luck with your exams. For module 3, it is important for you to practice flipping through the street directory. I scored 49/50 and finished the test in under 50 minutes. The reason why I didn't get 50/50 was because one of the test questions had no correct answer. The problem was highlighted to the invigilator during the test but he said it is only one error out of 50 and no big deal. :eek: Hello!!!WTF! Some who took the test failed by 1 question and this could have been a life saver for them.

ft7001

Reaction score
Thanks :) I guess it was easy for graduates like me to pass the exams but it was a struggle for many of my course mates especially the older ones. Good luck with your exams. For module 3, it is important for you to practice flipping through the street directory. I scored 49/50 and finished the test in under 50 minutes. The reason why I didn't get 50/50 was because one of the test questions had no correct answer. The problem was highlighted to the invigilator during the test but he said it is only one error out of 50 and no big deal. :eek: Hello!!!WTF! Some who took the test failed by 1 question and this could have been a life saver for them.

Yeah. Module 3 will be a nightmare. It's literally, 1 question - 1 min to answer. So speed is the name of the game.
I have some 'uncles' in my course. Can't speak English well and such, I really think they will struggle like hell.

Soccer Ball

Suspended
Reaction score
I know many taxi drivers earned at least $5K-$7K/mth as a OMO because they showed me their proof of earnings via screenshots of their MDT but they also told me that it is very easy to chalk up demerit points under the DIPS and VLPS. So it is really tough to make a living as a taxi driver because the more you drive, the higher the chance for accidents and being caught by LTA for various offenses like picking up and dropping off passengers at prohibited spots as the passengers insist on being picked up or dropped off at those spots.

You will be suspended immediately for at least 2 weeks once you hit 6 demerit points. And you will face an additional 2 weeks suspension for the next 3 demerit points thereafter and 4 weeks suspension once you accumulated 11 points & above. No wonder so many of the 100K+TDVL holders are not active.

wonder how many hours daily u got to drive in order to achieve 7k? guess it also got to be daily..........

shared

Master Member
Reaction score
Driving 12 to 14 hours daily, getting 5 to 7k is really tiring. Somemore no bonus. CPF, benefits.

To think those office fresh grads are also getting 5k-6k all in. Still have leave, medical benefits all these.

Geminian1970

Reaction score

Actually, if you are self-employed, it is much better to go for the full time course rather than the part time course as the part-time course is too tedious and take a whole freaking month to complete. I cannot tahan having to show up for evening class everyday from Monday-Friday from 7 pm - 10 pm for an entire month :eek:

Geminian1970

Reaction score
wonder how many hours daily u got to drive in order to achieve 7k? guess it also got to be daily..........

Yup, definitely has to be daily. Better to drive taxi part-time and just for fun only. If go full time, your health will surely suffer. Too many arsehole drivers and passengers on Sg roads nowadays.

Leave No Men Behind

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I not familiar with route. Is that module 3?? Heard is Wat landmark to landmark. I am going to enrol, keep and do part time also

ft7001

Reaction score
Actually, if you are self-employed, it is much better to go for the full time course rather than the part time course as the part-time course is too tedious and take a whole freaking month to complete. I cannot tahan having to show up for evening class everyday from Monday-Friday from 7 pm - 10 pm for an entire month :eek:

Yeah. But too bad, I'm just an employee. Lucky I end work at 530pm so can make it for the PT evening classes.
And yes, it's just tidious to do this mon to fri for an entire month. I'm already feeling the 'burn' now. And yes, there have been instances where I took a short nap. 😁

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Taxi driving is dying lah..u make enough for day to day and have nothing for saving.

The high rental kill profit and pax are getting lesser.

Let say u collect $300 omo. $133 for rental and $30 for fuel..less erp of say $10. Ur cost is $173. U are left with $127 at the end of the day.

U take 4 days off a month..that will cost you $532.

133 x 28 = $3724 rental
30 x 24 = $720
10 x 24 = $240
Total cost = $4684

U collect 300$/day

300 x 24 = $7200
$7200 - 4684 = $2516 - 532 = $1984

$1984 for one mth..each day 12 hrs on the Rd..is that a lot?

That assuming u can hit $300/day.

There are drivers who can hit $200 - $250 in 6 hrs..but that is a minority in a sea of taxi driver.

Taxi driving are low income job.

No stress? Everyday, you started off in debt and spend the next 6hrs trying to clear it.

The best earning veh are the 80$/day veh..those are already in their 7 and 8 yrs, going to be phased out.

The next cheapest will be prime premio at $103 but that is a petrol veh..at current petrol cost, ur 400km per day will cost you $40 fuel assuming u avg 10km/l of petrol.

To all up and coming taxi driver..beside cdg, there are other taxi coy worth a look.

If really want to drive, drive black or white..less trip, less hr, mostly better class of pax, better earning. Black also want to no more leow btw.

Morning peak hr, you can hit $30/hr, sometime more if you are lucky but once peak is over at 0930 or should I say erp is over, there will be jam jam jam..frm the time 0930 to 1030, you might collect as low as $15/hr despite many pax around..thereafter, your collection will avg around $20/hr, peaking out at around $25/hr till about 5 - 6pm..less demand for cab around 8 - 9pm..crazy for the next 1.5hrs then is fight for pax again.

Premier taxi call booking fee is crazy at peak hr..$4.5booking, cbd $3. Start meter $12 within cbd at evening peak hr.

Last edited:

jury_pack

Master Member
Reaction score
Taxi driving is dying lah..u make enough for day to day and have nothing for saving.

The high rental kill profit and pax are getting lesser.

Let say u collect $300 omo. $133 for rental and $30 for fuel..less erp of say $10. Ur cost is $173. U are left with $127 at the end of the day.

U take 4 days off a month..that will cost you $532.

133 x 28 = $3724 rental
30 x 24 = $720
10 x 24 = $240
Total cost = $4684

U collect 300$/day

300 x 24 = $7200
$7200 - 4684 = $2516 - 532 = $1984

$1984 for one mth..each day 12 hrs on the Rd..is that a lot?

That assuming u can hit $300/day.

There are drivers who can hit $200 - $250 in 6 hrs..but that is a minority in a sea of taxi driver.

Taxi driving are low income job.

No stress? Everyday, you started off in debt and spend the next 6hrs trying to clear it.

The best earning veh are the 80$/day veh..those are already in their 7 and 8 yrs, going to be phased out.

The next cheapest will be prime premio at $103 but that is a petrol veh..at current petrol cost, ur 400km per day will cost you $40 fuel assuming u avg 10km/l of petrol.

To all up and coming taxi driver..beside cdg, there are other taxi coy worth a look.

If really want to drive, drive black or white..less trip, less hr, mostly better class of pax, better earning. Black also want to no more leow btw.

Morning peak hr, you can hit $30/hr, sometime more if you are lucky but once peak is over at 0930 or should I say erp is over, there will be jam jam jam..frm the time 0930 to 1030, you might collect as low as $15/hr despite many pax around..thereafter, your collection will avg around $20/hr, peaking out at around $25/hr till about 5 - 6pm..less demand for cab around 8 - 9pm..crazy for the next 1.5hrs then is fight for pax again.

Premier taxi call booking fee is crazy at peak hr..$4.5booking, cbd $3. Start meter $12 within cbd at evening peak hr.

Lol? Your calculation a bit wrong? ERP is paid by passenger?

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
like tat jin chuang ah. no wonder u say dun do unless really bo bian.
So you no relief??

No point..my is 80$ rental after rebate, dun need relief.

This days..I am slanted toward spilt shift..I start before 6am and end first half at 11am..take a nap and out of house by 3pm to 11pm..

On Fri and weekend..full day..6 - MN..

But overall depend on mood..mon, I also drive full day coz night taking not so good..

So basically, Tues to Thursday spilt shift
.Fri to mon full shift.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
An update on the TDVL course.

At present, it is still a 60-hour course with 3 MCQ Modules - Module 3, 1 and 2 - and 5 practical tests. Yes, that dreaded Module 4 on 40 routes is no longer tested in MCQ. Instead, it is replaced with two practical oral tests one week before the MCQ tests. All practical tests are easy.

It remains to be seen how the new 25 hr syllabus will be.
Getting a TDVL is an invaluable safety and investment tool.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.