HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Cloud computing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
Master Member

Cloud computing advice

I gt a diploma in info-com 15yr back and had lost touch doing It. I am thinking to take up some it courses to refresh myself and also to look for a job in the it sector. Heard cloud computing is highly in demand now. What's the route i should take if I am going for cloud computing? Another thing is that I am not really into programming, is cloud computing very dependent on programming? What about ccna? Still worth going for it?
orhanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:47 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

I gt a diploma in info-com 15yr back and had lost touch doing It. I am thinking to take up some it courses to refresh myself and also to look for a job in the it sector. Heard cloud computing is highly in demand now. What's the route i should take if I am going for cloud computing? Another thing is that I am not really into programming, is cloud computing very dependent on programming? What about ccna? Still worth going for it?
I won’t be able to recommend which cloud computing route you should go. However as a cloud architect, I will say the skill to be able to program is highly recommend in a cloud environment.

Without understanding the nitty gritty of software development, the only way you can treat cloud computing is only as a static infrastructure. But that wouldnt differentiate between hosting company and cloud providers like Azure, AWS and GCP right? Clearly cloud computing must have offer more than just a typical hosting company, otherwise why would it even be a hot topic?

Some examples will be, how are you going to automate the consolidation of logs and analysis of the logs without some programming skill set writing codes that could be run in the managed services? How would you be able to appreciate how horizontal scaling automation works in cloud environments without understanding how load balancers works, the security concerns, balancing the requests, sticky or not, choosing between TCP or HTTP(S) load balancing and how it affects the software. How to access all the various services from a programmatic perspective which is why cloud providers shine, unless you knows how to use the SDK provided, and cli tools or utilities. All these are normally Restful APIs invoking authentications and authorisations etc.

While one can be partially functional in cloud environments like setting up servers and services, that is not why cloud computing becomes a hot topic. Much of why it is flexible and elastic is because of the programmatic automation, the devops and large scaling development and deployment concepts and tools. The gel to put all these together and interoperate effectively is knowing a software development disciplines and concepts. If you don’t even like programming, then it will be hard for you to pursue advance topics in cloud computing and to provide services that can truly benefit from it.

CCNA stuff I will let other posters to dwell on it. There are security aspect of cloud computing, but IMHO, the fundamentals of programming is still very much required. It will determine how far and deep you can go into the area. Hope it helps
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Master Member

I won’t be able to recommend which cloud computing route you should go. However as a cloud architect, I will say the skill to be able to program is highly recommend in a cloud environment.

Without understanding the nitty gritty of software development, the only way you can treat cloud computing is only as a static infrastructure. But that wouldnt differentiate between hosting company and cloud providers like Azure, AWS and GCP right? Clearly cloud computing must have offer more than just a typical hosting company, otherwise why would it even be a hot topic?

Some examples will be, how are you going to automate the consolidation of logs and analysis of the logs without some programming skill set writing codes that could be run in the managed services? How would you be able to appreciate how horizontal scaling automation works in cloud environments without understanding how load balancers works, the security concerns, balancing the requests, sticky or not, choosing between TCP or HTTP(S) load balancing and how it affects the software. How to access all the various services from a programmatic perspective which is why cloud providers shine, unless you knows how to use the SDK provided, and cli tools or utilities. All these are normally Restful APIs invoking authentications and authorisations etc.

While one can be partially functional in cloud environments like setting up servers and services, that is not why cloud computing becomes a hot topic. Much of why it is flexible and elastic is because of the programmatic automation, the devops and large scaling development and deployment concepts and tools. The gel to put all these together and interoperate effectively is knowing a software development disciplines and concepts. If you don’t even like programming, then it will be hard for you to pursue advance topics in cloud computing and to provide services that can truly benefit from it.

CCNA stuff I will let other posters to dwell on it. There are security aspect of cloud computing, but IMHO, the fundamentals of programming is still very much required. It will determine how far and deep you can go into the area. Hope it helps
I don't need to become a true expert knowing the beyond. Just enough to earn my rice bowl can liao.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don't need to become a true expert knowing the beyond. Just enough to earn my rice bowl can liao.
What I described above is “enough”. But if you feel there is a “lesser”, feel free to try out.
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Master Member

What I described above is “enough”. But if you feel there is a “lesser”, feel free to try out.
Oic. Thanks for the advice. Very honour to see your reply here. In my past, I did try out learning programming, while learning, some of the cases examples involved a lot of advanced maths which I wasn't able to understand. So I didn't continue. 😑
Old 05-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

it is a never ending learning process, people will replace u if u dont keep up.
Phen8210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #7

Cloud computing is quite a wide. Basically there are a few tracks:
1) Infrastructure
2) Cloud Development
3) AI
4) Data

A good way to find out what's in-demand is to go thru the job ads descriptions.

I feel that Cloud Infrastructure is useful to get you started, as it covers compute engines, data, networking, security, and some cloud development.

Go for AWS / Azure / Google Cloud Associate certification to start.

I passed my Google Cloud Associate early this year. I wanted to use the credentials to apply for jobs. But none has been forthcoming. Maybe I am no longer young, or not having enough experience in cloud.

Anyway, good luck for your learning & certification!
jackoats.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.