HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

First cert for IT info sec

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #1

First cert for IT info sec

Hi I am currently an undergraduate in IT
Info security and thinking of the first cert to get during my term break.

1. I am hoping to get an IT cert that is general in nature, and useful to certain extent.

2. I am not strong in network and pentesting side, thinking about project management/ compliance side

Which would be a good starting cert for me?
poppy_py is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Can try PMP for project management I Guess and Secuirty + from COMPTIA for compliance. Though COMPTIA might not be so recognised in SG but will give pretty much a general overview of infosec.

Other than these. CISSP is a pretty good cert to have in the industry for management. But need 5 years experience in infosec to get the cert.

Hi I am currently an undergraduate in IT
Info security and thinking of the first cert to get during my term break.

1. I am hoping to get an IT cert that is general in nature, and useful to certain extent.

2. I am not strong in network and pentesting side, thinking about project management/ compliance side

Which would be a good starting cert for me?
SajiAkihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Can try PMP for project management I Guess and Secuirty + from COMPTIA for compliance. Though COMPTIA might not be so recognised in SG but will give pretty much a general overview of infosec.

Other than these. CISSP is a pretty good cert to have in the industry for management. But need 5 years experience in infosec to get the cert.
Thanks for your input.. But 3 years in polytechnic under IT course and 2 year in uni for ict course counted as 5 years experience?
Old 22-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Nope. Must be working experience. I was intending to aim for CISSP too haha but realised that needed 5 yrs working experience. After all it’s a management level cert.

Can see SSCP also, little brother of CISSP but not as well recognised. Needs 2 years working experience. Not sure if internship counts (though I think should be). Both issued by ISC2

Thanks for your input.. But 3 years in polytechnic under IT course and 2 year in uni for ict course counted as 5 years experience?
Old 22-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

don't worry about experience, just ask someone to endorse you
Lastexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

Nope. Must be working experience. I was intending to aim for CISSP too haha but realised that needed 5 yrs working experience. After all it’s a management level cert.

Can see SSCP also, little brother of CISSP but not as well recognised. Needs 2 years working experience. Not sure if internship counts (though I think should be). Both issued by ISC2
What are some of the starting management cert currently? Cisa?
wetporridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #7

Yeah this is another requirement. Get some connections in the field as well haha. But all in all still need to study and pass that exam 😄

don't worry about experience, just ask someone to endorse you
Old 22-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #8

If I’m not wrong, correct me if I am haha. Most people in infosec management level usually have CISA, CISM and CISSP. I wouldn’t say it’s something someone with no experience will have, but if you meet the requirements put forth by the Organizations, these 3 would be a good stepping stone to management.

But do explore other technical cert options as well, haha personally I really enjoy doing certs with hands on examinations rather than a theory test 😂 but if company is sponsoring or $$ is not an issue, just take as many as you can haha after all more knowledge gained the better

What are some of the starting management cert currently? Cisa?
Old 29-04-2018, 02:49 AM   #9

If I’m not wrong, correct me if I am haha. Most people in infosec management level usually have CISA, CISM and CISSP. I wouldn’t say it’s something someone with no experience will have, but if you meet the requirements put forth by the Organizations, these 3 would be a good stepping stone to management.

But do explore other technical cert options as well, haha personally I really enjoy doing certs with hands on examinations rather than a theory test � but if company is sponsoring or $$ is not an issue, just take as many as you can haha after all more knowledge gained the better
Hi what about comptia security± I feel that it is of the core in it security and difficulty should be manageable for a graduate? Not too sure.. How you feel of it?
Old 29-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #10

For Sec+, it’s difficulty is more than manageable for almost anyone. Just borrow a Sec+ revision guide from someone or the library, within a week you should be able to pass the exam.

I wouldn’t say core of infosec, but I would say it’s more of an introduction to it? Like a brief introduction to the many areas of information security. This is based solely on my personal opinion.

Hi what about comptia security± I feel that it is of the core in it security and difficulty should be manageable for a graduate? Not too sure.. How you feel of it?
Old 29-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #11

What about pmp? Seem like it's not a good cert for fresh grads?
Old 30-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

Wouldn’t recommend it for fresh grad though, and it’s not very aimed at infosec industry though I do see managers in infosec having them.

But in my opinion, it’s not one of the things that people will look at when hiring in the infosec industry. Do correct me if I’m wrong though.

What about pmp? Seem like it's not a good cert for fresh grads?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.