Possible routes for o level holder?

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure how bad is your O Level scores ... have you given it a try. Entry-level requirements for some poly IT diplomas are not so high. Perhaps you can try again. Try Republic Polytechnic, where they are more 'user' friendly.

To ensure your poly success, try for a full-time course and later, as an IT diploma holder your job opportunity will be greatly enhanced. There is a tremendous shortage of qualified IT people in Singapore.

Certifications alone without an academic platform will not fly.

My o level results do not qualify for the course, checked their website

b0ring

Reaction score
Its never too late. Go ITE, study IT is alright as well. If you do well, you can go poly after and then degree. If not private diploma, which is much costlier but you can do work full time and study part time. Its all hardwork and discipline.

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
Its never too late. Go ITE, study IT is alright as well. If you do well, you can go poly after and then degree. If not private diploma, which is much costlier but you can do work full time and study part time. Its all hardwork and discipline.

Cannot afford the time to study for so long because i also need to work and help my family pay off debt.

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
From skillsfuture,
There is a comptia a+ course on udemy for ard 100 sgd while another one which is classroom-based is $3000. Any difference between the 2? Should i go for the classroom based or udemy one? The classroom one seems quite expensive. 35 hours of teaching only for $3000

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
From skillsfuture,
There is a comptia a+ course on udemy for ard 100 sgd while another one which is classroom-based is $3000. Any difference between the 2? Should i go for the classroom based or udemy one? The classroom one seems quite expensive. 35 hours of teaching only for $3000

Go for udemy

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can take express it cert. make sure.you study hard because not eveyone manage to graduate after 6 months. costs $4000 after singaporean subsidy, or less than $1000 if you are 40 years old. if you got edusave can pay off. or can try apply skillsfuture grant (additional free money)
https://www.lithan.com/international/exp-it

with this cert put your resume at monster they will start calling you.

ntuc pays like $2400. pccw pays up to $3000. some bank call center pays $3500 for night shift. private hospital pays $2800~3000. monitoring server shift work also pays up to $3500. work at checkpoint shift work is $2600+$400 shift bonus.

of course this work may not be for everyone. most gov contract job start from 2500 doing admin. that is an easier life, plus $100 increment every year

Last edited:

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
you can take express it cert. make sure.you study hard because not eveyone manage to graduate after 6 months. costs $4000 after singaporean subsidy, or less than $1000 if you are 40 years old. if you got edusave can pay off. or can try apply skillsfuture grant (additional free money)
https://www.lithan.com/international/exp-it

with this cert put your resume at monster they will start calling you.

ntuc pays like $2400. pccw pays up to $3000. some bank call center pays $3500 for night shift. private hospital pays $2800~3000. monitoring server shift work also pays up to $3500. work at checkpoint shift work is $2600+$400 shift bonus.

of course this work may not be for everyone. most gov contract job start from 2500 doing admin. that is an easier life, plus $100 increment every year

Why the job not for everyone?
Stressful?
Long working hours?
The pay looks quite good to me
Btw what happens if fail to graduate after 6 months, have to pay 4k again to retake?

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
Why the job not for everyone?
Stressful?
Long working hours?
The pay looks quite good to me
Btw what happens if fail to graduate after 6 months, have to pay 4k again to retake?

For me i dont like shift work

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
No depends on what job you want to be. What job do you want?

For now i can only think of desktop engineer.

Or those sim lim square that type, help people build a pc.

Or singtel those technicians, go to people house setup router etc also can...

Not quite sure about the career paths... but i don't really like office work where i just sit down the whole day editting data, having to deal with politics..

Is comptia a+ or the express it from lithan better?

Last edited:

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
For now i can only think of desktop engineer.

Or those sim lim square that type, help people build a pc.

Or singtel those technicians, go to people house setup router etc also can...

Not quite sure about the career paths... but i don't really like office work where i just sit down the whole day editting data, having to deal with politics..

Is comptia a+ or the express it from lithan better?

Comptia a+ is a certificate, entry level
Lithan IT is a course which prep you for network+ since you want to work as desktop engineer go for a+ then

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
Comptia a+ is a certificate, entry level
Lithan IT is a course which prep you for network+ since you want to work as desktop engineer go for a+ then

Ok thanks... just not sure if the udemy course will teach me enough to pass the exam. If im o level with comptia a+ cert, will i be able to get a it job easily?

Is the info listed here accurate?

https://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Certification=CompTIA_A%2B_Certification/Salary

I am able to look for these jobs if i have the comptia a+ cert?

Last edited:

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks... just not sure if the udemy course will teach me enough to pass the exam. If im o level with comptia a+ cert, will i be able to get a it job easily?

https://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Certification=CompTIA_A%2B_Certification/Salary

Go for Professor messer there is free videos and you want to make your own notes , if you want pdf format probably go for Jason Dion at udemy.
Based on https://www.comptia.org/certifications/a, seems like helpdesk, it support, desktop engineer

b0ring

Reaction score

Nope its not accurate. Just think about why ppl went through ite, poly and then degree to get a starting pay of 3k plus. If they can get this salary with just o level and comptia a+ 5 day course, life would be so much easier. There is no shortcut in life, its all about hard work, grinding, build your foundation, learn from years of experience, and finally achieving it 1 day.

Last edited:

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
I checked with some school that provide comptia a+ training... $904.50 after deducting skillfuture and citrep funding for 5-day training and including examination fee...not sure if i should take the udemy or this one.

Is the exam hard?

Last edited:

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
I checked with some school that provide comptia a+ training... $904.50 after deducting skillfuture and citrep funding for 5-day training and including examination fee...not sure if i should take the udemy or this one.

Is the exam hard?

Hmm i suggest go for udemy is cheaper

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.