HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Should I take CompTIA to get into the IT industry ? What other certs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Should I take CompTIA to get into the IT industry ? What other certs?

Hi shifus! I am 30 this year and will like to change my career into the IT industry. I am not able and will not like to go into degree courses as I have to work full time. I will like to do self studying and do online courses during my free time. What certs should I go for as a beginner. I will like to start as an IT support first and go into cybersecurity in the future. I am person of integrity.
yvonnelim1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

Look into the 'soft' side of IT, e.g. Linux system admin, computer networking, cloud computing, software development.

If you're good in people skills, you can consider project management & sales.

Read job ads in mycareersfuture.sg to find out what you like to do, and the relevant certification if any required for the job.

Hi shifus! I am 30 this year and will like to change my career into the IT industry. I am not able and will not like to go into degree courses as I have to work full time. I will like to do self studying and do online courses during my free time. What certs should I go for as a beginner. I will like to start as an IT support first and go into cybersecurity in the future. I am person of integrity.

Last edited by jackoats.sg; 22-08-2020 at 04:57 PM..
jackoats.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #3

Look into the 'soft' side of IT, e.g. Linux system admin, computer networking, cloud computing, software development.

If you're good in people skills, you can consider project management & sales.

Read job ads in mycareersfuture.sg to find out what you like to do, and the relevant certification if any required for the job.
ok thanks!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Master Member

I'm looking at taking this route too. Have you found any useful info so far?
dango_daikazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #5

It is about commitments.

A couple of years ago, i took my private degree while working full time. And i was not alone taking this route. You can fail the modules but you have to bite through the bullet and ensure you get the degree / qualification.

If you have heavy commitments, self studying and do online courses can easily drain you off by 1-2 months (in some extends 6 months). You may end up giving up half way. Alot of people gave in to commitments and they stop self studying.

Here are my career path:
call center -> IT support (desktop) -> IT support (service desk) -> Security.

You have to remember, in cyber security, if you study and you did not pass, it wont boost your resume up.

Failure is the success of mother. Dont give up if you fail.
Old 15-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

if you dont forsee yourself doing support, you can skip that and go straight to cybersecurity.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

It is about commitments.

A couple of years ago, i took my private degree while working full time. And i was not alone taking this route. You can fail the modules but you have to bite through the bullet and ensure you get the degree / qualification.

If you have heavy commitments, self studying and do online courses can easily drain you off by 1-2 months (in some extends 6 months). You may end up giving up half way. Alot of people gave in to commitments and they stop self studying.

Here are my career path:
call center -> IT support (desktop) -> IT support (service desk) -> Security.

You have to remember, in cyber security, if you study and you did not pass, it wont boost your resume up.

Failure is the success of mother. Dont give up if you fail.
ok thanks for your advice! may i know which private degree did you go for?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #8

if you dont forsee yourself doing support, you can skip that and go straight to cybersecurity.
i dont think its that easy haha
Old 09-10-2020, 11:08 PM   #9

I heard wollongong is quite a good private degree for cybersecurity in the market.
b0ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

if you have a STEM degree, you should try Cyber Security Agency's Cybersecurity Development Programme (CSDP) for the next batch ..

Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Passion and demonstrated aptitude in cybersecurity.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
Effective team player who is also able to work independently.
Fresh graduates or working professionals with a passion in cybersecurity may apply.
Only Singaporeans may apply.

https://www.mycareersfuture.gov.sg/j...commendedJobJD

And you should also look out for this next year. Should try your luck for these programme as the government or related entities are pumping money to offer training with reasonable allowance for people to career switch to tech industry. Of course, not everyone will get it, but if you don't try, there's no chance.

https://www.ibf.org.sg/programmes/Pages/TFIP.aspx

Last edited by Lastexile; 11-10-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Lastexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #11

I am in the same boat as you. Intending to career switch to cyber security industry and i realise in all the job description it's either years of experience, minimally of 3 years and above to enter security roles or you have to have STEM degree to qualify for interview at least.

I am only a dip holder, and I took all the basic compTIA certs including ITF+, A+, Security+ and Network+. I think the only way to enter smoothly and securely is to get into IT support for 3 years, meanwhile getting a IT security degree to move up the ladder.

Of course, best is all those attachment programs or whatnot to boost up the knowledge and see if they are able to help us get into the career path that we want. Just stepping in it without zero experience at all is tough. Haha
Alfdorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.