HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

IT support looking for Cyber Security course

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

IT support looking for Cyber Security course

I am the IT support and have few years experience.
I am finding the cyber security course to study but no idea which course is suitable for me.

Any recommendations that i should study a foundation or a specific certificate?
Thanks
ongzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:43 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

need more information to give you better advice..

What kind of IT support are you doing and what are the technologies you are working with?

Also interest for any specific cyber security domain - Security Operations, Security Testing, Compliance, Incident Response and Forensic etc.
Lastexile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

need more information to give you better advice..

What kind of IT support are you doing and what are the technologies you are working with?

Also interest for any specific cyber security domain - Security Operations, Security Testing, Compliance, Incident Response and Forensic etc.
Hi
Something like Desktop support/hardware support.
My first job is IT helpdesk and now is Service delivery engineer
I had read and watch free intro of cyber security, so i have confused that should I study foundation of cyber security or certain part of cyber security I interested?
I hope i can change it career to security engineer etc.

Thanks
Old 13-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Master Member

What’s your highest qualification? Can consider doing part time degree in information security or even security certs like CISSP, GSEC, etc.
Cryophoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi
Something like Desktop support/hardware support.
My first job is IT helpdesk and now is Service delivery engineer
I had read and watch free intro of cyber security, so i have confused that should I study foundation of cyber security or certain part of cyber security I interested?
I hope i can change it career to security engineer etc.

Thanks
Security Engineer is pretty broad ranging from people write code and develop security tools and products to people just deploying firewall and security solutions.

I suppose the latter will fit you better. From how I see, you need to have proper understanding of networking since a lot of security solutions and products have to be integrated into the network. Then you need to understand what are the security solutions out there like Firewall, Proxy Server, IPS, VPN, WAF, SIEM, EDR, AV, Patch Management systems etc.

I would recommend going for generic security certification such as Security+, SSCP or CISSP to give you some theoretical knowledge of security and where those products sit. Hopefully you can your foot into the door.

I won't recommend taking product based certs since if you are working for a company, the company would normally send you go training because you will be working with whatever products the company is working.
Lastexile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

I am the IT support and have few years experience.
I am finding the cyber security course to study but no idea which course is suitable for me.

Any recommendations that i should study a foundation or a specific certificate?
Thanks
Security is getting wider.

Previously it was only pen test. audit, implementation, management, forensics.

I think now it getting broader such as reverse engineering, threat hunting etc.

Back to your question, what is the recommendation? It depend on your goal. Will you be a happy man if I throw you to face C-level and interview them as auditor? Or will you be a happier man by facing tons of words that will churn out into application etc.

SSCP is similar to CISSP. The questions are pretty direct. But compare to Security+, it is tougher. And this build your foundation better if you are heading towards CISSP.
Old 16-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #7

What’s your highest qualification? Can consider doing part time degree in information security or even security certs like CISSP, GSEC, etc.
Hi there
My highest qualification is just an IT diploma...
Yea, i need decide whether study part time full course or security certificates.
Old 16-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #8

Security Engineer is pretty broad ranging from people write code and develop security tools and products to people just deploying firewall and security solutions.

I suppose the latter will fit you better. From how I see, you need to have proper understanding of networking since a lot of security solutions and products have to be integrated into the network. Then you need to understand what are the security solutions out there like Firewall, Proxy Server, IPS, VPN, WAF, SIEM, EDR, AV, Patch Management systems etc.

I would recommend going for generic security certification such as Security+, SSCP or CISSP to give you some theoretical knowledge of security and where those products sit. Hopefully you can your foot into the door.

I won't recommend taking product based certs since if you are working for a company, the company would normally send you go training because you will be working with whatever products the company is working.
Hi there

Many thanks for your recommend.
Kaplan, horizon or NTUC also can get the certificate eg SSCP or CISSP to study right?
Old 16-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

Security is getting wider.

Previously it was only pen test. audit, implementation, management, forensics.

I think now it getting broader such as reverse engineering, threat hunting etc.

Back to your question, what is the recommendation? It depend on your goal. Will you be a happy man if I throw you to face C-level and interview them as auditor? Or will you be a happier man by facing tons of words that will churn out into application etc.

SSCP is similar to CISSP. The questions are pretty direct. But compare to Security+, it is tougher. And this build your foundation better if you are heading towards CISSP.
Hi there

Now I am always faced C-level and would be choose the latter...
I had do some free question of security+ on ComptTIA
And i feel i can pass the exam if i study the security course.
Old 16-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #10

Hi there

Many thanks for your recommend.
Kaplan, horizon or NTUC also can get the certificate eg SSCP or CISSP to study right?
Dont waste money go for SSCP / CISSP training class cause you can self learn.

SSCP & CISSP both is theory . Just self study 2-3 month and practice will get you to pass .

i have a few friends work as sales and get CISSP within half year .
paper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Hi there

Now I am always faced C-level and would be choose the latter...
I had do some free question of security+ on ComptTIA
And i feel i can pass the exam if i study the security course.
CompTia Security + is good for build foundation .

Better dont dump and pass by yourself .
paper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

Dont waste money go for SSCP / CISSP training class cause you can self learn.

SSCP & CISSP both is theory . Just self study 2-3 month and practice will get you to pass .

i have a few friends work as sales and get CISSP within half year .
Your sales friends quite power.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.