HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Getting a prepaid SIM card in China

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Getting a prepaid SIM card in China

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is easy and cheap to buy a pre-paid sim card in China. Visiting for just 5 days, and need a sim for data and voice calls.

Anyone had recommendations and price?

Cheers,
ahyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Master Member

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ch...-new-post.html

M1 have data passport, but expensive for 5 days use in China. For Postpaid
Starhub Happy Roam on their Prepaid.
$20 for 3.6GB that last 30 days.
But need min $8 in the prepaid account.

It's not easy to get prepaid SIM in China.
If you only want Data, other alternatives are better.

If you need a China number, get one that is cheapest. Do note you need to physically go back to the shop to Terminate your prepaid SIM. Else you'll be black listed.

Also do Note VPN services are currently curbed by China. So you can't use Google services and Facebook.
zzxxzzxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

sorry for the blur / noob question. i'm visiting China soon and wondering how I enable the Happy Roam service. Just buy Happy prepaid, subscribe to a dataplan and can use in China? I'll be using on a dual-sim to use SG local number also. So anything to consider as I'm worried if enabling data roaming will charge to my local SG number also. Thanks.
muthiahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is easy and cheap to buy a pre-paid sim card in China. Visiting for just 5 days, and need a sim for data and voice calls.

Anyone had recommendations and price?

Cheers,
Yes, it is quite easy to buy pre-paid sim in China. Most China airports have telecom counters that sell the sim card. Price varies from 80 to 150 rmb which will allow you to use for at least 1 week.

Outside the airport, you can also get to buy from telecom sales office or authorised dealers. Sometimes can be time-consuming to look for them so my recommendation is to buy from the airport.
SkyBlueCheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Master Member

http://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/543126.html?ref=

Baidu Prepaid SIM 百度圣卡

RMB$9 - No Free Stuff
- RMB$15/1GB/Month (Whole China)

RMB$19 - Free 1GB/Month (Whole China)
- RMB$10/1GB/Month (Whole China)

RMB$59 - Free 4GB/Month (Whole China) + 200 Minutes Outgoing
- RMB$10/1GB/Month (Whole China)

RMB$0.10/Minute Outgoing
RMB$0.10/SMS
RMB$1/500MB/Day/Province

But reading through, only local can get it.
Old 14-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
Master Member

i can't use m1 data passport as my phone plan is not eligible. does anyone know if hotmail is accessible in china? what vpn can i use to bypass the firewall? thanks!
twinklingstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Master Member

Yes, it is quite easy to buy pre-paid sim in China. Most China airports have telecom counters that sell the sim card. Price varies from 80 to 150 rmb which will allow you to use for at least 1 week.

Outside the airport, you can also get to buy from telecom sales office or authorised dealers. Sometimes can be time-consuming to look for them so my recommendation is to buy from the airport.
can foreigners buy these sim cards?
xchampsx likes this.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
Master Member

Most major airport sells prepaid(?) SIM @ around RMB$180 for 4GB data plus some minutes.
Foreigners are able to get it.

Can be seen even before you exit the custom.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
Master Member

i can't use m1 data passport as my phone plan is not eligible. does anyone know if hotmail is accessible in china? what vpn can i use to bypass the firewall? thanks!
The the easiest thing to do, just grab a Starhub Prepaid SIM from Singapore Changi Airport. SGD$15 for $18 credit.

Can use for $5/1GB/3Days * 3 = $15/3GB/9Days
Longer Trips can go for $10/1.2GB/30Days, or $15/2.4GB/30Days
Old 15-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Master Member

I just reached beijing, got the starhub prepaid card at changi airport. It has 2GB data which i can use overseas. I turned on my mobile data and data roaming, but i couldn't make any calls nor access the internet. Any idea why?
Old 15-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just reached beijing, got the starhub prepaid card at changi airport. It has 2GB data which i can use overseas. I turned on my mobile data and data roaming, but i couldn't make any calls nor access the internet. Any idea why?
Need to activate it.

Last edited by dilphinus; 15-09-2017 at 07:35 PM..
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #12

starhub prepaid in China

Hi, would like to check if anyone has tried roaming in Beijing with starhub prepaid? a friend tried 2 weeks ago and his feedback is good... because can access to google and facebook. anyone can share experience? needed a 2nd opinion

Thanks in advance
bulb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 01:06 AM   #13
Master Member

If you've purchased the $32GB prepaid card from Singapore Changi Airport, it comes with 2GB Roaming Data for 10 Days.
The $50 card gives 5GB for 30 Days of Data Roaming.

I'm not sure why you can't use it.
1. Was the card activated in Singapore?
2. Did you download the Happy Prepaid App?
3. Did you activate Data Roaming?
4. Did you set the APN on your phone?
5. Where you able to connect to the China network?
6. Do you see 2G/E/H/H+/3G+/4G?

I'd advice to get the counter to setup the Prepaid App on your phone with all settings done.
Like activating the card, download the prepaid app, activate auto roaming, checking if you are on the 2GB *Free Roaming Plan, etc.

If you did not have a data plan, and you turn on Data Roaming, you stored value will wipe out in just few mins.
I've got a colleague did a top up, not sure if he's gotten a data plan, but when i tried to use USSD method to check, the balance was $0.

Hi, would like to check if anyone has tried roaming in Beijing with starhub prepaid? a friend tried 2 weeks ago and his feedback is good... because can access to google and facebook. anyone can share experience? needed a 2nd opinion

Thanks in advance
I've used Starhub Prepaid for 2 trips in China, Used in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Hefei (An Hui).

All worked as i expected. Since always have signal, but not always 4G.
FB/Google/Anything can access.

Last edited by zzxxzzxx; 16-09-2017 at 01:16 AM..
Old 16-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Master Member

Need to activate it.

Hi, the second and third option has been activated. Should i activate the first as well even though I'm not using it locally?

I got my card at T3 basement. The staff told me everything has been set up and i would be able to use whenever i turn on the mobile. Not sure why it's not working.
Old 16-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, the second and third option has been activated. Should i activate the first as well even though I'm not using it locally?

I got my card at T3 basement. The staff told me everything has been set up and i would be able to use whenever i turn on the mobile. Not sure why it's not working.
You have to pay for whichever plan you activate. Why waste $15 for the nbr 2 call time when you dont intend to use it in SG?

Starhub website has the procedures and faq.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.