广州 GuangZhou Nov 2018 trip report

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 3

Woke up late like 9.30 am, out in the street 10.30am. Din researched much on where to go today and first thing thought i will get something to eat first. With the previous day experience of finding a really great dim sum totally out of random, i thought dim sum in Guangzhou must be in general high standard.

Saw this and thought why not? Regretted soon enough. The porridge is super watery, not much taste.

The Char Siew Bao like no filling in it, 90% of it was the flour only, wtf....

The Siao Long Bao looks totally nothing like the delicate versions we have here. Ate it and was not fresh at all

The har gow, omg while eating the last piece detected a chow sng prawn not fresh taste.

Sucks till max. If you are in GZ and ever this see Dim Sum Prince, dun even think of trying, sucks so badly :s22:

J0lNlZOl.jpg

BAMIAZbl.jpg

GgyUDsMl.jpg

Char Siew Bao? Hahaha like no filling inside....

CpOdjAfl.jpg

Lmao, They dare to call this xiao long bao, so roughly made. When first arrive, i din even know what the hell they are and have to ask the server....

GT6YVTBl.jpg

hCINl3Zl.jpg

tPYwuyOl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After finishing that disaster dim sum brunch, went to see see a market. Hua Di wan market. This market is where you want to go if you are super into aquarium/fish tank stuff etc. Think over 100 shops selling ornament fishes, fish tanks, accessories etc etc.

uWK6vMMl.jpg

bOs2L78l.jpg

cz61AG4l.jpg

They also have like bout 6 to 7 shops selling pet dogs and cats but are really badly run. Supposedly the doggies here are fed stimulants so they will look lively and people will buy them (Only for them to die a few days after people brought them).. the meow meows are mostly kept in cages and they look sad :(

One of the shop was so smelly and it was a shop full of cages holding the poor cats inside :( The cats looks in bad condition

dgzp8ACl.jpg

These meow meows are in the best kept conditions there as they are the most expensive

wbcYsUhl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok din stay long at the market. Off to the subway to next destination.

Sun Yat Sen memorial, surprised the communist recognized him to be the proper founder of modern China

pkLXmqEl.jpg

reH0EPAl.jpg

AI19fByl.jpg

OxxMQEml.jpg

fVKG22el.jpg

FGnIsXfl.jpg

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Visitors to Guangzhou may want to check out Xiguan, in Liwan district, which has the best preserved original feel of old Canton. The culture is supposedly most traditional, down to the residences, many of which have unique barriers across the main door and have very narrow frontages, with very long depths.

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Visitors to Guangzhou may want to check out Xiguan, in Liwan district, which has the best preserved original feel of old Canton. The culture is supposedly most traditional, down to the residences, many of which have unique barriers across the main door and have very narrow frontages, with very long depths.

yup and if i am not wrong, Bruce Lee's ancestor home is over there

Last edited:

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sun Yat Sen memorial took bout 1 1/2 hours.

Next is Yue Xiu Park, which is just beside the memorial

4CqfIxll.jpg

Has some bamboo path

3agAbWkl.jpg

Sun Yat Sen's dying instructions to the country

d9rqZRIl.jpg

M7NLIDml.jpg

6iOi5UZl.jpg

GZ is also known as 五羊城, as rumours was GZ was a wasteland like 2000+ years ago and one day 5 celestial goats descend from the heaven to bless this land and then turned into stone and GZ was thus nickedname 5 goat city.

Lp0uRSbl.jpg

Y07cZiNl.jpg

Bm0OHLOl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finish Yue Xiu Park, now is time for some hiking at 白云山

ZWaJpe3l.jpg

View from mid mountain

DXhTxMDl.jpg

Delicious beef balls after slowly walking up the TAR road for bout 1 hour u. I was quite hungry and abit tired by now so it tasted extra good.

FKZUUrYl.jpg

In Guangzhou, if you want to buy mineral water, likely they will ask you which brand you want which at first i din know so i told the auntie anything. This is one of the brand 百岁山

ySGmmC5l.jpg

Next is to climb up to the Peak Mo Xiing Peak, still need to pay extra 5 rmb to carry on

dsri2jHl.jpg

YaGUuryl.jpg

Super long flight of stairs up, took me like 20-30 mins i think, super tired lol

p
nKGkt8kl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Climbed all the way up, finally reached the peak and it was sunset timing already

Vr9ljKpl.jpg

3gwRagQl.jpg

vsmG31dl.jpg

For lovers to declare their love is secured and use a lock to lock it forever. This one super kiasu using super super big lock :s13:

0MmCYjHl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Coming down from the peak, need to walk down like 2 hours +

Funny GZ people like to do hiking in the dark, after sunset when i was coming down still got many people slowly walking up.

Finally saw one restaurant selling food, time for dinner

Supposedly selling very good lamb dish but meh meat was super tough and can only taste the condiments and super salty. Yucks

The waitress was also surprised why i was taking photos of the food and asked if i was in the food biz and then if i was here to copy ideas for my new restaurant lol :s13:

Told her i am a tourist and she like dun believe ask tourist why know how to speak Putong Hua even thou i told her i am a overseas Hua qiao 华侨 :s13:

qsyoRxQl.jpg

Damn i think they use $$$ buy these awards, food sucks real bad

3HwsF1ll.jpg

Supposedly only make 1000 skewers per day but i doubt it, anyway any satay in SG or MY will win this. This was super tough and super salty, dun even have the natural sweet taste of meat.... Also my most expensive meal in the trip 45 sgd and also the most lousy tasting....

ips007vl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmrNJpGl.jpg

This is lamb steak zzz, super super salty and tough meat

MsSMhgil.jpg

Lamb skewers, i had a hard time finishing these as they are so tough and dry and can only taste the condiments, totally no meat taste

pdob4MOl.jpg

Only this was better, dou miao

iHTKkqkl.jpg

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Ok din stay long at the market. Off to the subway to next destination.

Sun Yat Sen memorial, surprised the communist recognized him to be the proper founder of modern China

In fact we have a rather interesting situation now. The mainland claims legitimacy in succeeding his full legacy (it helps that he was vague about voting in democracy) while the ROC at Taiwan under the current DPP is uncertain about how to regard him.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
yup and if i am not wrong, Bruce Lee's ancestor home is over there

In the adjacent city of Foshan, where his ancestral roots are, there is a museum dedicated to him, martial arts and its other exponents (Wong Fei Hung, Ip Man, Fong Sai Yuk, etc). For your next trip, perhaps.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the adjacent city of Foshan, where his ancestral roots are, there is a museum dedicated to him, martial arts and its other exponents (Wong Fei Hung, Ip Man, Fong Sai Yuk, etc). For your next trip, perhaps.

I'm going to Shunde for 3 days in January. :)

If anyone has contact for passenger van rental with driver there would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Your accommodation at the hutong looks interesting. How would you rate this hotel?
Most of the hotels in China are quite decent and affordable. Do you have the name in Chinese?

Last edited:

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your accommodation at the hutong looks interesting. How would you rate this hotel?
Most of the hotels in China are quite decent and affordable. Do you have the name in Chinese?

Oh it near the hutong area. Name is 景都. Cheap hotel like 30 sgd per night. I took it for the sole reason there is a fridge in the room and I can't find any other room within + 100% room cost extra.

Not too clean as I got one batch of bites halfway my stay there on the underside of my forearm, only one time thou. They also have smoking rooms and the smoking rooms has window opening to main corridor so zzz smoke did.came.into my room one night. If I ever fo.back to gz, it is a no go.and will.not recommend it to people.

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative and mouth-watering photos on food on Guangzhou. Do you find the food more expensive than Hongkong?

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Spent the whole afternoon walking around this old liwan street area plus went into one of their shopping mall walk walk but nothing interesting to buy

around old liwan street, many shops selling food

Another famous shop for 肠粉 but not today

xqm7owfl.jpg

银记's in Singapore too~ :s12:

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.