HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

广州 GuangZhou Nov 2018 trip report

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

Spent the whole afternoon walking around this old liwan street area plus went into one of their shopping mall walk walk but nothing interesting to buy

around old liwan street, many shops selling food

Have many many shops selling freshly made wan ton

Another famous shop for 肠粉 but not today

fireduke86 likes this.
FireEmblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #17

Thanks for sharing! That plate of pig intestine/beef horfun looks really good!
bluestone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

walk and walk, soon it is time for dinner

Saw this store which has high rating for boat porridge so went in ordered one set, hmm tasted normal only, imo not worth high rating

fireduke86 likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

After light pre dinner, went back to beijing road walk walk again as previous day just walk abit only

Saw a pet shop in one of the shopping malls selling mainly rabbits so took a photo

In Guangzhou, they have ear picking service which few days later i tried it out but like nothing much. Maybe my ear poop are the very hard and dried type so cannot dig much out

Hmm this place supposedly sells very good Si Chuan cuisine but nah dun want to eat high chilli food and risk spoil stomach for trip

Found a Hong Kong style Cha Chan Ting which incidently i met the most rude people ever here while in Guang Zhou. The girl waitress like not interested and like practically throw your food at your table once reaching.

The guy waiter worst, i was eating half way, then you know you are resting your elbow on the table while using chop sticks to eat, i was eating half way when that waiter reached under my armpit (triangle area between resting elbow armpit and body) to reach for my receipt see if i have ordered something he was holding and never said a word like it was normal to do so really really super super rude. All the while when i was actually eating

the food sucks too, so highly highly not recommended.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

Choose this store (was at random but checked that rating was average so just tried) as have not eating 烧蜡 yet in GuangZhou yet and since saw one store, just walked in

I had never eaten roosted goose before and since young watching Hongkie show had always wanted to try it, this is my virgin roasted goose and choose a leg which was very expensive at $16 sgd for this plate of rice.

Sucks siah

Also order a plain wanton soup, also not nice. Also ordered a hong kong style milk tea which is also average. Total cost me like $25.00 and i got lousy food and super rude service.

After eat finish, walk walk more around beijing road then is take subway back to hotel already

Chen Clan academy at night

This area around Chen Clan academy comes is a very lively area in the evening, many people come with their kids to play or the adults were dancing etc

fireduke86 likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Day 3

Woke up late like 9.30 am, out in the street 10.30am. Din researched much on where to go today and first thing thought i will get something to eat first. With the previous day experience of finding a really great dim sum totally out of random, i thought dim sum in Guangzhou must be in general high standard.

Saw this and thought why not? Regretted soon enough. The porridge is super watery, not much taste.

The Char Siew Bao like no filling in it, 90% of it was the flour only, wtf....

The Siao Long Bao looks totally nothing like the delicate versions we have here. Ate it and was not fresh at all

The har gow, omg while eating the last piece detected a chow sng prawn not fresh taste.

Sucks till max. If you are in GZ and ever this see Dim Sum Prince, dun even think of trying, sucks so badly

Char Siew Bao? Hahaha like no filling inside....

Lmao, They dare to call this xiao long bao, so roughly made. When first arrive, i din even know what the hell they are and have to ask the server....

Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

After finishing that disaster dim sum brunch, went to see see a market. Hua Di wan market. This market is where you want to go if you are super into aquarium/fish tank stuff etc. Think over 100 shops selling ornament fishes, fish tanks, accessories etc etc.

They also have like bout 6 to 7 shops selling pet dogs and cats but are really badly run. Supposedly the doggies here are fed stimulants so they will look lively and people will buy them (Only for them to die a few days after people brought them).. the meow meows are mostly kept in cages and they look sad

One of the shop was so smelly and it was a shop full of cages holding the poor cats inside The cats looks in bad condition

These meow meows are in the best kept conditions there as they are the most expensive

Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok din stay long at the market. Off to the subway to next destination.

Sun Yat Sen memorial, surprised the communist recognized him to be the proper founder of modern China

fireduke86 likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for sharing! That plate of pig intestine/beef horfun looks really good!
yeah, it sure is. It is a must eat. At Xihua Street. Many good food there including the best dim sum i had during the trip
Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #25

Visitors to Guangzhou may want to check out Xiguan, in Liwan district, which has the best preserved original feel of old Canton. The culture is supposedly most traditional, down to the residences, many of which have unique barriers across the main door and have very narrow frontages, with very long depths.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

Visitors to Guangzhou may want to check out Xiguan, in Liwan district, which has the best preserved original feel of old Canton. The culture is supposedly most traditional, down to the residences, many of which have unique barriers across the main door and have very narrow frontages, with very long depths.
yup and if i am not wrong, Bruce Lee's ancestor home is over there

Last edited by FireEmblem; 12-12-2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sun Yat Sen memorial took bout 1 1/2 hours.

Next is Yue Xiu Park, which is just beside the memorial

Has some bamboo path

Sun Yat Sen's dying instructions to the country

GZ is also known as 五羊城, as rumours was GZ was a wasteland like 2000+ years ago and one day 5 celestial goats descend from the heaven to bless this land and then turned into stone and GZ was thus nickedname 5 goat city.

fireduke86 likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Finish Yue Xiu Park, now is time for some hiking at 白云山

View from mid mountain

Delicious beef balls after slowly walking up the TAR road for bout 1 hour u. I was quite hungry and abit tired by now so it tasted extra good.

In Guangzhou, if you want to buy mineral water, likely they will ask you which brand you want which at first i din know so i told the auntie anything. This is one of the brand 百岁山

Next is to climb up to the Peak Mo Xiing Peak, still need to pay extra 5 rmb to carry on

Super long flight of stairs up, took me like 20-30 mins i think, super tired lol

p
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

Climbed all the way up, finally reached the peak and it was sunset timing already

For lovers to declare their love is secured and use a lock to lock it forever. This one super kiasu using super super big lock

fireduke86 likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

Coming down from the peak, need to walk down like 2 hours +

Funny GZ people like to do hiking in the dark, after sunset when i was coming down still got many people slowly walking up.

Finally saw one restaurant selling food, time for dinner

Supposedly selling very good lamb dish but meh meat was super tough and can only taste the condiments and super salty. Yucks

The waitress was also surprised why i was taking photos of the food and asked if i was in the food biz and then if i was here to copy ideas for my new restaurant lol

Told her i am a tourist and she like dun believe ask tourist why know how to speak Putong Hua even thou i told her i am a overseas Hua qiao 华侨

Damn i think they use $$$ buy these awards, food sucks real bad

Supposedly only make 1000 skewers per day but i doubt it, anyway any satay in SG or MY will win this. This was super tough and super salty, dun even have the natural sweet taste of meat.... Also my most expensive meal in the trip 45 sgd and also the most lousy tasting....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.