VPN Router from Changi Rec

Cynn2016

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone used the new VPN wifi router from Changi rec? Im heading to gz this coming week. But isnt sure if i should get a sim card there or just the wifi router will do. I will need access to facebook, ig and whatsapp.

Please advise

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
If you want to access FB, IG and WhatsApp then forget about local sim card or even wifi there. It'll all be blocked, including Googlemaps.

you need to get something from overseas - or just roam.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want to access FB, IG and WhatsApp then forget about local sim card or even wifi there. It'll all be blocked, including Googlemaps.

Confirmed. When using hotel WiFi have to use WeChat instead of WhatsApp to communicate with my tour mates.

Thayvia

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone used the new VPN wifi router from Changi rec? Im heading to gz this coming week. But isnt sure if i should get a sim card there or just the wifi router will do. I will need access to facebook, ig and whatsapp.

Please advise

I used the wifi with vpn from changi rec on my last trip to SH and i was able to use google, whatsapp and ig. Think it would be blocked on local SIM card or other routers with no vpn so safer to get the changi rec one. It's a bit more ex but tiagong they now got promo give 2 free days

SibehHL

Reaction score
Easier to just get a Starhub Happy Roam card. Can access directly all the Apps and Google etc. Card starts from $15

https://topup.starhub.com/preorder/

Can preorder or buy from Starhub shops. There are a few knowledgeable guys over in Mobile Comms Section (under prepaid cards) who can offer good advice too.

SomeoneLikeYou

Reaction score
I used the wifi with vpn from changi rec on my last trip to SH and i was able to use google, whatsapp and ig. Think it would be blocked on local SIM card or other routers with no vpn so safer to get the changi rec one. It's a bit more ex but tiagong they now got promo give 2 free days
Hi, thought of renting from CR. Did you face any problems with it ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rotting@desk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, thought of renting from CR. Did you face any problems with it ? Thanks in advance.

using CR in GZ nw

can access all mentioned just that sometimes signal very weak when inside buildings
but guess u just gotta live with it for the fb ig n whatsapp access

Cynn2016

Reaction score
Hi all, back from guangzhou. The router was great, fast and running for whatsapp fb etc. Have problems going live, otherwise its all good. Whatsapp video call no issue as well :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes. For my current short trip in China, I use 1GB Starhub prepaid data roaming (S$11 for 1GB for 30days ). I need to have 8 days , if not I can save S$3 to get the 1GB 7days for S$8.

Local.Sim card or local WiFi will have Facebook, WhatsApp, Google, YouTube, etc , blocked.

YCT_49

Reaction score
Hi all, back from guangzhou. The router was great, fast and running for whatsapp fb etc. Have problems going live, otherwise its all good. Whatsapp video call no issue as well :)

Hi, wouldn't bringing a router into China will prompt Chinese officers asking a lots of questions? Will a vpn installed in the hand phone do the trick? btw, how is the router rental like?

Regards,

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, wouldn't bringing a router into China will prompt Chinese officers asking a lots of questions? Will a vpn installed in the hand phone do the trick? btw, how is the router rental like?

Regards,

I do not think it is a problem to bring a router.

As for VPN, only a handful VPN are known to work in China.

Easiest is still the roaming data which is guaranteed to work.

roger595

Reaction score
CR not preloaded with vpn right ?

Traveling with relatives , 4 old aunties and unkers

Thought of getting one to hotspot

High usage expected because they watch videos all the time, long road train journeys and such :s13:

Alternative is starhub roam but hope to keep my SIM card / number in case of urgent calls for work

Any recommendations pls ?

Last edited:

killachicken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been using the VPN one at GZ for the past 3 days... speed is slow and if you are indoors it gets even worse.

Luckily my hotel wifi is super fast and can access all websites and apps

Not a satisfactory experience for me

Useful for whatsapping or using google maps / Baidu maps/ didi

Cynn2016

Reaction score
Chinese officers did not ask anything. I keep it with me on handcarry.

Regards,

Cynn2016

Reaction score
CR vpn router has no issues on whatsapp but have issues on playing videos or watching live videos. My friend used the starhub data roaming is better without as much lags than CR vpn router. But if you only need it for normal fb scrolling, whatsapp, CR vpn is okay for me :)

CR not preloaded with vpn right ?

Traveling with relatives , 4 old aunties and unkers

Thought of getting one to hotspot

High usage expected because they watch videos all the time, long road train journeys and such :s13:

Alternative is starhub roam but hope to keep my SIM card / number in case of urgent calls for work

Any recommendations pls ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can try expressVPN.

Yes Express VPN sure works in China. It is a bit pricey though.

Copy from my post to the VPN thread.

From.what I gathered from various websites:

VPN vendors consistently working in China well over the years are limited.

Express VPN
Nord VPN
Astrill VPN
VPN.ac
Vypr VPN

Sometimes working sometimes not working
Pure VPN
CyberGhost

Usually not working in China:
Windscribe
Private Internet Access

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.