HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wechat wallet

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #211
Great Supremacy Member

It is because their MAS didn't open up to visa and master. It is not as common as Union pay

Last year or so, China wayang that they going to give approval and make it more common.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/03/new...ina/index.html
seowbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #212

For those with WeChat wallet setup or Alipay with 3rd party money transferred in, did you tried to pay through merchant? I have my alipay setup with my friend transferred money in, I can transfer money in/out no issue with others. However I tried this in Singapore but failed with merchant supporting alipay, message that real-name authentication is required.

Any advice?
wualex_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #213

you can log into your Alipay account on windows computer and submit your document(your IC copy).

For those with WeChat wallet setup or Alipay with 3rd party money transferred in, did you tried to pay through merchant? I have my alipay setup with my friend transferred money in, I can transfer money in/out no issue with others. However I tried this in Singapore but failed with merchant supporting alipay, message that real-name authentication is required.

Any advice?
HoGnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #214
Supremacy Member

It is because their MAS didn't open up to visa and master. It is not as common as Union pay

Last year or so, China wayang that they going to give approval and make it more common.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/03/new...ina/index.html
Visa MasterCard is uncommon in China. Every time I use, the staff need to call their manager down settle. Last I ate hai di lao in Shenzhen, they also took some time to find the manager and special wireless machine for my visa. Unionpay on the other hand is widely accepted.
madcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #215
Great Supremacy Member

I still have my china bank account from 2003 but no longer have any china mobile number, can use wechat pay? someone just sent me a red packet
Old 11-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #216
Great Supremacy Member

I still have my china bank account from 2003 but no longer have any china mobile number, can use wechat pay? someone just sent me a red packet
for bank side, that atm card most likely it's locked and maybe the card already expired therefore you can't add $ or withdraw $ to your china atm card
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #217
Supremacy Member

Baidu / WeChat etc are simply copied Google / WhatsApp etc.
Their ‘success’ are simply because the later are banned in China but huge population.

And almost other countries are not using these 翻版 .

It is because their MAS didn't open up to visa and master. ]
Mergui219067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #218

Hi
Any reason you're suggesting to use Unionpay credit card?

Have wechat but hardly use that, most friends and contacts are on whatsapp

I have been using samsung pay for a while now...i have credit cards set up there and also GPay.

I think it has become a habit now, I don't have to go through the hassle of looking into my handbag to dig out my wallet to get my card. I use credit for everything here in Singapore... but overseas use there's the exchange rate misc charge etc

I thought for travelling using mobile payment RMB for street food and small price items is very convenient, not having to show any money figuring out which is what how much?!?!
UP is the only cashless alternative to Wechat Pay or AliPay, which most of us in Singapore have no access to unless we have a China-based bank account and mobile number. UP is widely accepted in major cities. It saved me the trouble of withdrawing cash from the ATM (not all of them are on the Plus or Cirrus network).
galacticnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #219

UP is the only cashless alternative to Wechat Pay or AliPay, which most of us in Singapore have no access to unless we have a China-based bank account and mobile number. UP is widely accepted in major cities. It saved me the trouble of withdrawing cash from the ATM (not all of them are on the Plus or Cirrus network).
IMHO, above summarises the current situation nicely.
WeChat/Alipay requires China bank account and mobile to be able to pay cashlessly in China.

This means for tourists to China like us, we have to rely on cash still, and on occasion, UnionPay, Visa/Master, Amex in order of availability.

Suck thumb. We just have to accept their norms.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #220

To use WeChat, you need to link to to a China issued debit card and have a local number.

For alipay, I managed to link it to my Citibank credit card to TOP up my China mobile phone, but I could not transfer money or make payment in China at the roadside stalls. Not sure why.

Even if you have union pay cc, it has to be a China issued one, it is not accepted in most places unless big international hotels.

When I travel to China, I will park a sum of money in BOC dual currency debit card. Then go over there to withdraw small amounts if the need arises.
jywy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #221

For overseas transaction, NETSPay applies the foreign currency exchange rates provided by our global payment network partner, UnionPay International. The transaction amount will be converted to SGD and deducted from your NETSPay prepaid wallet.
A 1% admin fee for overseas transaction also applies.

There is QR code inside the Netspay app. Work kinda like wechat but with Singapore nets card

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT
Taurus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #222
Master Member

For overseas transaction, NETSPay applies the foreign currency exchange rates provided by our global payment network partner, UnionPay International. The transaction amount will be converted to SGD and deducted from your NETSPay prepaid wallet.
A 1% admin fee for overseas transaction also applies.

There is QR code inside the Netspay app. Work kinda like wechat but with Singapore nets card

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT
I tried this today in China. 40rmb I got charge 8.01 sgd. Rate is quite ok at 4.993.
tazzi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #223

i dun see 'wallet' - any idea?
Scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #224

i dun see 'wallet' - any idea?
oh manage to resolve it. how do i top up my wallet?
Scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #225
Supremacy Member

The only convenient app to use in China is their cab hailing app Didi Chuxing. It links to your credit card and use it as how Grab/Uber does. Simple.

But for Wechat and Alipay is still a hurdle. If regular visitor, trader, business, working in China, of course will keep a China number, open a China bank account, have a China address. Why would a 5-day trip tourist do the above mentioned?? These one-off tourist is better off paying in cash.
Your second para is what most Singaporeans who don't work in China but only go there for a one week holiday for eg want to know.

You see something selling for 10 yuan. You don't have Wechat/Alipay or whatever, you can't scan the QR code, but you have a wad of RMB 100 notes which you just changed in Singapore. And the shop does not have RMB 90 for change...so, what do you do? Pay RMB 100 cash and forget about the change? Or forgo all your shopping?

There are so many pages at this thread which make it really way too time consuming to find those posts to find the answers, if anyone had already posted about what they should do.
Papermate is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.