LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #331
Master Member

Cross-posted from the Alipay thread

Detail Alipay steps: for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/alipay-forei...reate-account/

Detail steps of WeChat pay for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/wechat-payme...t-kill-alipay/

I tend to think WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China are meant for people living in China, including Chinese citizens and foreigner working and studying in China.
With the Chinese regulations you need to use real name for bank transactions and that is why the requirement for the real name verification.

Just like Singapore is more and more accepting Union Pay and WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China accout to attract Chinese tourists, more and more places will start to accept Visa/Master Credit/debit card but that takes time. And WeChat has opened up a bit to allow foreign credit/debit card to be added to pay for quite some services like Ctrip, 12306, Didi, etc. Hopefully Alipay will follow.

More and more Chinese service providers will also start to accept foreign credit card, an example is DiDi. But the process takes time.

There are loopholes in WeChat and Alipay so that you can use 3rd party (friends or colleagues who has China WeChat Wallet and Alipay accout, or 3rd party online services, or some shops in China), after that you can use the balance to pay goods and services.

But without real name verification, basically you have to live with various constraints and limitations and it is not really convenient. So in the mean time still prepare enough cash for your trip.

Last edited by xiaofan; 24-11-2018 at 02:26 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #332

If status is verified leh, how does payment work for wechat in China?

If I ask someone from China send me some RMB, can I use that amount to pay vendors/shop owners in China and how to do it?
ilovetoeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #333
Master Member

If status is verified leh, how does payment work for wechat in China?

If I ask someone from China send me some RMB, can I use that amount to pay vendors/shop owners in China and how to do it?
Real name verification needs China bank account and China SIM. In that case you can either pay through your China bank or the balance.

Even without the real name verification, you can still pay by the balance once you have the RMB money in the WeChat China wallet (adding a SG Credit card/debit card first before you can have the wallet activated).

Steps:
WeChat — Me — Money — Pay Vendor — OK

You will see the bar code and 2D code, vendor can scan your bar code or 2D code.

Your default payment method will be “Balance” if you do not have China bank card.
Old 28-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #334

Real name verification needs China bank account and China SIM. In that case you can either pay through your China bank or the balance.

Even without the real name verification, you can still pay by the balance once you have the RMB money in the WeChat China wallet (adding a SG Credit card/debit card first before you can have the wallet activated).

Steps:

You will see the bar code and 2D code, vendor can scan your bar code or 2D code.

Your default payment method will be “Balance” if you do not have China bank card.

Mine still asks me to add a bank card despite adding my cc

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F
Desolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #335

Steps:

hmm I don't have those but somehow, my name is verified. But still no way to top up my wallet then unless I get someone from China to top up for me
ilovetoeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #336
Master Member

hmm I don't have those but somehow, my name is verified. But still no way to top up my wallet then unless I get someone from China to top up for me
Interesting, you can not top up by yourself without a China bank card. Still you can always ask friends here to top up — I have quite some colleagues who can do that for me if I need.
Old 28-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #337
Master Member

Did you see Wallet in “Me —Wallet ”?

If not, adding the CC and then ask somebody who can send WeChat Ang Bao to send you RMB1 to activate the wallet.

If this does not work then I do not know how.

The whole thing is a bit confusing. I myself went through a few rounds as well.

Initially no CC added and was able to see Wallet option after changing language to Chinese. Can send/receive Ang Bao as well.

Later suddenly can not receive or send Ang Bao.

Later added Singapore CC and can send receive Ang Bao again.
Old 28-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #338

So cool right. What is the most expensive thing you have purchased?
prisleongsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #339
Master Member

So cool right. What is the most expensive thing you have purchased?
Nothing expensive, just bought some local food stuff, a few 100s RMB. Shanghai was too expensive for me.

Edit: colleagues in Shanghai mostly buy things from online stores like Jingdong, Tmall, Taobao , Yihao Dian, etc (other than fresh food items). They also say no need to buy things in the shops. End of edit.

Same for a few trips to Bangalore last year — things were too expensive for the big shopping center near to hotel and feel not safe to go to other places.

When traveling to US then yes all of us bought lots of stuff in Factory Outlet, usually several hundreds of USDs. But that was quite some tears ago and never really liked to go to US — long flight and the jet lag back and forth for a short trip was really tiring. Luckily no need to go after 2013.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-11-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #340

Same issue. Already added a singapore cc. But when my friend send me the angpow. It still insist I need a China cc to accept the fund.
dolphins_rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #341
Master Member

Same issue. Already added a singapore cc. But when my friend send me the angpow. It still insist I need a China cc to accept the fund.
So looks like the things change again. This thing is very fluid.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #342
Master Member

So looks like the things change again. This thing is very fluid.
Indeed it changed in 2018
https://www.17chongzhi.com/article.php?id=27

So it was a loophole in 2017 that you can use Singapore Credit/Debit card and receive WeChat Ang Bao. The loophole is now fixed in 2018...

首先要明确几点:
1, 最新版的海外微信账户,是不能绑定海外国际信用卡的,只能绑定国内大陆银行的储蓄卡,同时要填写银行预留手机号。只有卡号和手机号匹配,才能添加。同时微信会发送验证码到该手机号,用户在微信上输入该手机验证码才能完成绑定!

2, 去年,也就是2017年的时候,有些用户可以不用绑定大陆的银行卡,而是海外信用卡,那时候的确可以操作。但是今年微信是不能绑定海外信用卡了,而是只能绑定国内的银行卡,这是因为海外信用卡存在拒付的功能,是一个严重的漏洞,微信之前没有考虑到国外的信用卡拒付是一个巨大的支付漏洞,由于用户可以像信用卡公司申诉信用卡被盗用,导致微信不得不关闭信用卡绑定的功能!

3, 对于微信发红包如果累计超过1000元,就要进行实名认证,实名认证必须上传中国大陆身份证,海外证件是无法完成实名认证的。

因此对于需要大额微信转账的朋友,无法完成实名认证的海外用户,只能通过第三方进行代付了!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #343
Master Member

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zfinance/n...0180612-866512

Local 3rd party WeChat pay balance transfer: subject to MAS regulations

我国近期出现一些商家和网站提供支付宝或微信钱包充值服务,若业者没有持相关执照,业务有可能违法。

新加坡金融管理局发言人回答《联合早报》询问时说,按照外币兑换与汇款业法令,在本地接受款项并为国外户头汇款或充值的业务是有可能构成“汇款业务”(remittance business)。

金管局发言人说:“经营这类汇款业务的业者是需要获得法令下的执照。”

微信支付与支付宝等无现金付款方式近年来在本地逐渐普及化,不少业者通过实体店面或网络支付方式提供充值服务。

《联合早报》记者发现,网上有超过10个海内外网站,可让用户为支付宝或微信钱包充值,本地至少有六个业者提供这项服务。

Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #344
Arch-Supremacy Member

Explains why I can't link my local credit cards.

As I'll only be in Guangzhou for 3 days next month. Will just have to rely on using cash.
s7460597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #345
Master Member

Explains why I can't link my local credit cards.

As I'll only be in Guangzhou for 3 days next month. Will just have to rely on using cash.
Cash is still king. :-)

Still you should be able to use Singapore credit card in bigger hotels and shops in big city like Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou/Shenzhen.

Next option is to use Union Pay Credit/Debit Card from Singapore branch of BOC or ICBC.

Then cash.

Or you can try the 3rd party WeChat Pay service providers for smaller amount as well.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.