Wechat wallet

SibehHL

Reaction score
do you mean use their china bank card to tie to my wechat? anyway, for this solution i need create new wechat right? cause i read that once the wechat tie to a name it cannot be remove >.<

Can tie the account to more than one card

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am heading to HK and Shanghai soon - Shall I do Alipay or WeChat credits?

Either one should be okay if you can get anyone to work.

Personally I use only wechat pay because it works for me whereas Alipay does not work at all without linking to a mainland China bank card. On the other hand looks like Wechat is also tightening so in the end I may need to get a proper bank card from my relatives to set up Wechat pay if it stops working.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also facing same problem, please let me know if you have solution for that. Thanks.

No solution for now. Unless you get a Chinese friend to lend you the ID card information or the bank card information. That friend has to trust you enough to do that.

If you have such friend or relative, you can probably ask him/her to set up a bank account and a Chinese SIM card with low monthly charge for you and pass you the bank card and sim card to you to manage the bank card by yourself. You can remit to that account from Singapore using S$ to top up that bank card when the balance goes low.

piglovepanda

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. But one question, how if i use Singapore phone number but tie to his China credit card? will this work?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply. But one question, how if i use Singapore phone number but tie to his China credit card? will this work?

You will need a Chinese SIM card number for the Chinese bank card. It is pretty cheap at around RMB5-18 per month which allow you to receive SMS verification in Singapore.

And you should get a deposit accout /debit card and not a credit card for obvious security reasons.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best solution is to get a china friend to borrow you their ID. You will use their ID for the wechat. But it has better to be someone reliable as well.

Some say that ID 身份证 is good enough, some say mainland bank card is necessary. Some say you can use both but then can unlink the bank card.

It is quite confusing. I tend to think either one is okay.

Last edited:

brx1987

Reaction score
Yup just maintain about 500 RMB inside.

Btw take note that many remittance services now can only remit funds to China accounts registered to mainland China IDs. Before last weekend BOC sg can still transfer to China accounts opened with passports. Apparently there was a new regulation in China few days ago. The ones below will not work:

- DBS China remit
- BOC sg RMB pre-settlement account
- Worldremit
- Transferwise
- Worldfirst

Xendpay still works for now.

hmm xendpay looks good, I see there is a creditcard option,

i wonder if do transfer to china account,

any idea how bad is the exchange? how bad is it? any1 tried before can share?

by paying the xfer using credit card using usd, does it is oversea usage and awarded point as oversea spending?

Last edited:

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm intending to go in a couple of weeks time... please advice me on the wechat wallet function. First time visiting China and am confuse on top up function.

Understand tt not many places accept credit card, and I read thru this forum oso realize tt wechat wallet or alipay is the way to go. So how do I go abt using tt?

Seems like there are some limitation to wechat wallet now?
1) Can I use a relative's bank acc to link to my wechat wallet?
2) Best way to xfer the $ spent to my relative? Isit queue at the Chinatown remittance service than remit to his bank? seems like tt way oso need ID iirc.
3) if I use rmb, will I be out of place there?

___

payment aside, which hotel do u guys suggest for a first timer vistor? Am looking at stay ard updown9 and Beijing road. budget <100/night

SibehHL

Reaction score
I'm intending to go in a couple of weeks time... please advice me on the wechat wallet function. First time visiting China and am confuse on top up function.

Understand tt not many places accept credit card, and I read thru this forum oso realize tt wechat wallet or alipay is the way to go. So how do I go abt using tt?

Seems like there are some limitation to wechat wallet now?
1) Can I use a relative's bank acc to link to my wechat wallet?
2) Best way to xfer the $ spent to my relative? Isit queue at the Chinatown remittance service than remit to his bank? seems like tt way oso need ID iirc.

___

payment aside, which hotel do u guys suggest for a first timer vistor? Am looking at stay ard updown9 and Beijing road. budget <100/night

WeChat wallet function is a payment tool; e.g., Paynow, Paylah etc in Singapore except that this system is much more advance and widely used in China with Alipay & Wechat wallet.

Before topping up, are your wallet functions still functioning? Have you performed a Card Linked procedure to your Wechat account (实名认证)Some users here were saying they are unable to receive red packets or money transfers.

Remittance at Chinatown is quite easy just need the address/bank account/Chinese ID details etc of the receiver, sender address/NRIC details and finally the purpose of remittance.

Which city are you heading to in China? Almost every city has a road called Beijing Road.....

beanstalk6

Reaction score
WeChat wallet function is a payment tool; e.g., Paynow, Paylah etc in Singapore except that this system is much more advance and widely used in China with Alipay & Wechat wallet.

Before topping up, are your wallet functions still functioning? Have you performed a Card Linked procedure to your Wechat account (实名认证)Some users here were saying they are unable to receive red packets or money transfers.

Remittance at Chinatown is quite easy just need the address/bank account/Chinese ID details etc of the receiver, sender address/NRIC details and finally the purpose of remittance.

Which city are you heading to in China? Almost every city has a road called Beijing Road.....

Exclusive10 plans to visit Guangzhou.

I would advise travellers to China not to fret over cash-less payment. RMB cash is still universally accepted over there and cannot be refused.

Last edited:

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score

Yes thanks beanstalk, im heading to GZ. Thanks didn't know abt Beijing Road in every city.

Nv had a my wechat wallet link to anybank. But don't know thru games or taobao or what, inside seem to have a few dollars. Since cash is ok, I think best to stick with cash.
In case any issues cropped up then all gone to waste.

Any hotel recommendation in GZ? Budget < 100 ? First time solo visiting abit nervous and anxious.

I believe 7-11 got sell the alipay topup or smth? always see on anti scam advert. Can I get 1 of those and gift for ppl there. Chinese colleagues there sure v 好客 one, will snatch to treat. Or better to change RMB n join in the snatch ... ? haha

Exclusive10 plans to visit Guangzhou.

I would advise travellers to China not to fret over cash-less payment. RMB cash is still universally accepted over there and cannot be refused.

Thks :) beanie for clarifying. I think I've make up my mind to use cash since cashless so much doubts over it. 比较好安全过对不起

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Yes thanks beanstalk, im heading to GZ. Thanks didn't know abt Beijing Road in every city.

Nv had a my wechat wallet link to anybank. But don't know thru games or taobao or what, inside seem to have a few dollars. Since cash is ok, I think best to stick with cash.
In case any issues cropped up then all gone to waste.

Any hotel recommendation in GZ? Budget < 100 ? First time solo visiting abit nervous and anxious.

I believe 7-11 got sell the alipay topup or smth? always see on anti scam advert. Can I get 1 of those and gift for ppl there. Chinese colleagues there sure v 好客 one, will snatch to treat. Or better to change RMB n join in the snatch ... ? haha

Thks :) beanie for clarifying. I think I've make up my mind to use cash since cashless so much doubts over it. 比较好安全过对不起

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...end-things-eat-shop-sight-see-5569556-27.html for a recent discussion on hotel choice in Guangzhou. Since you also posted there, look up that thread in its entirety.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/china-316/guangzhou-nov-2018-trip-report-5950574.html
I'm not sure if a gift of Ali-pay topup card is a good idea. Never noticed these are for sale at convenience stores.

WaSiLiaoLeh

Reaction score
how come now i am not able to received the wechat money at all, the sender want to send me the money but seem its say i need a china id/bank card. but few month ago i also can send/received the money, anyone can help?

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
how come now i am not able to received the wechat money at all, the sender want to send me the money but seem its say i need a china id/bank card. but few month ago i also can send/received the money, anyone can help?

if I am not wrong, is a new regulation started this month. All wechat wallet now must link with a bank acc.

WaSiLiaoLeh

Reaction score
if I am not wrong, is a new regulation started this month. All wechat wallet now must link with a bank acc.

wah like that how sia? anyway to solve this problem? don't think i can go there create a bank account right, at least need something or what

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah like that how sia? anyway to solve this problem? don't think i can go there create a bank account right, at least need something or what

A few possibilities.
1) You should still be able to use up whatever amount in your WeChat Pay and Alipay balance even if you are hit by the new regulations and can not top up any more.

Take note not all are hit by this new regulation yet.

2) Some 3rd party top up service may still work for WeChat and Alipay

3) Visa/Master Credit /debit cards are accepted in big cities and places with many foreign tourists.

4) BOC or ICBC dual currency card which allow you to get RMB cash in China

5) Nets Flashpay is said to be accepted in some places

6) Cash is still good.

I used both WeChat Pay and cash in my Dec 2018 trip to Fujian. But I used only cash in my Dec 2017 trip to Fujian. In my June 2017 business trip to Shanghai I used combinations of company credit card (hotel) and cash and actually not too bad to use cash even though I can see most of people do not use cash to pay street vendors.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if i use wechat in sg, got charge a not? friend own me alot rmb

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i use wechat in sg, got charge a not? friend own me alot rmb

What do you mean by charge here? Your friend is in China? How much is a lot of RMB? A lot means 100k or 200k or more?

Do you have a proper mainland China bank card? If yes just ask your friend to transfer the money to your account through bank transfer. There is a limit to transfer money through wechat and there is a fee to transfer money out of wechat 微信零钱 to the linked back account so wechat may not be a good choice if a lot of money is involved.

Wechat payment limit for various mainland China bank card look linked to wechat
https://kf.qq.com/touch/faq/151210NZzmuY151210ZRj2y2.html

Wechat balance transfer to bank fee 微信零钱提现费用
https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/160301Vf6FvY160301BFNbIB.html?hidetool=1&from=wap&platform=14

If you do not have a mainland China bank card, then no point talk about wechat already. Just ask your friend to send money to you in cash if he is here in Singapore or through banks if he is in China. He needs to have good reasons convincing the bank it is for legitimate reasons because of the measures in place to control the exit of fund (资金外流). There are fees involved as well.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.