Wechat wallet

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Just went Shanghai. Still no avail to use wechat and Alipay. Tried paying with Alipay at kfc also cannot.

The staffs there really don’t like cash payment. Can’t blame them. I also don’t like cash payment

u tried opening mainland bank account at shanghai?

really kumgong sia..in china, everyone use wechat to pay

but then how to encourage foreigners/tourists to pay if dont let them create wechat wallet?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning to visit Shanghai... This thread has been ongoing since 2017. Has a solution been found? Can we use Singapore icbc or boc cards with alipay?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 7 using GAGT

yhw22

Master Member
Reaction score

but then how to encourage foreigners/tourists to pay if dont let them create wechat wallet?
It is just anti foreigner usage. U need a local bank with proper document then can open an account. Who will do so meh.

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

This is regulation, to prevent money laundering and also money from leaking out of china.

If any foreigner can use their foreign bank to withdraw, many tiongs will just transfer u their rmb, and withdraw to deposit in Singapore

beanstalk6

Reaction score
It is their sovereign right to maintain capital control over their financial system and limiting foreign access to their system. They are willing to forgo your money as opening up means exposing them to national security risks, financial market instability and capital flight.

No choice. Bring RMB cash.

Benjamin91

Master Member
Reaction score
Just went Shanghai. Still no avail to use wechat and Alipay. Tried paying with Alipay at kfc also cannot.

The staffs there really don’t like cash payment. Can’t blame them. I also don’t like cash payment

No choice, but they can't reject cash.
In fact, i did get discount when they do not have the exact change.

siaoboy

Reaction score
Not sure why it didn’t work for you. I create an account , verify my identity with passport and it works like charm.

Basically you can get other to TOP up and use the balance but you can’t transfer the money out unless you have China account

SibehHL

Reaction score
When’s the last time you use the wallet to pay or send / receive red packets?

Not sure why it didn’t work for you. I create an account , verify my identity with passport and it works like charm.

Basically you can get other to TOP up and use the balance but you can’t transfer the money out unless you have China account

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
This is regulation, to prevent money laundering and also money from leaking out of china.

If any foreigner can use their foreign bank to withdraw, many tiongs will just transfer u their rmb, and withdraw to deposit in Singapore

waliew, other countries not so scare of this problem

It is their sovereign right to maintain capital control over their financial system and limiting foreign access to their system. They are willing to forgo your money as opening up means exposing them to national security risks, financial market instability and capital flight.

No choice. Bring RMB cash.

for moi, I want to invest in forex now with US China trade war
Use SGD to change for RMB but without bank fees
i.e. do informal trade via alipay/wechat wallet and give SGD cash in person

but now, I cannot receive RMB from china friends...all use alipay or wechat and foreigners like singaporeans cannot have have alipay/wechat

maybe not cannot; but very troublesome wor

jin sad

SibehHL

Reaction score
waliew, other countries not so scare of this problem

for moi, I want to invest in forex now with US China trade war
Use SGD to change for RMB but without bank fees
i.e. do informal trade via alipay/wechat wallet and give SGD cash in person

but now, I cannot receive RMB from china friends...all use alipay or wechat and foreigners like singaporeans cannot have have alipay/wechat

maybe not cannot; but very troublesome wor

jin sad

Can share which country "not so scare" and hence does not regulate transfer of funds and setting up of accounts? Maybe can consider using if I ever need to launder money.

I am local sinkie and I do have legit wechat wallet account, in fact, I have two. You just have to do it legally.

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Can share which country "not so scare" and hence does not regulate transfer of funds and setting up of accounts? Maybe can consider using if I ever need to launder money.

I am local sinkie and I do have legit wechat wallet account, in fact, I have two. You just have to do it legally.

can share how to create legit wechat wallet? Please share as I really need a alipay or wechat wallet...a quick one will do

USA, Singapore, or any countries with free market
I mean in countries like Singapore, you are not subjected to capital controls

These countries are tough on money laundering but they don't cause inconvenience majority of legit users

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
can share how to create legit wechat wallet? Please share as I really need a alipay or wechat wallet...a quick one will do

These countries are tough on money laundering but they don't cause inconvenience majority of legit users

I have 2 legal wechat wallet too, you just need to go china and open a bank account and that’s very easy done

SibehHL

Reaction score

You ask your ATB friend without Singapore residence permit to register for PAY LAH! and see how?

Get yourself a Chinese Bank account OR use your gf account, unless your are transferring ten of thousands daily but I guaranteed you will get caught almost immediately.

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
I have 2 legal wechat wallet too, you just need to go china and open a bank account and that’s very easy done

hokay thanks, i know need china mobile number and identity documents

how about the rest? need residencial address also to open bank account?

You ask your ATB friend without Singapore residence permit to register for PAY LAH! and see how?

Get yourself a Chinese Bank account OR use your gf account, unless your are transferring ten of thousands daily but I guaranteed you will get caught almost immediately.

thats not capital control

i can use transferwise and have a wallet no problem...RMB is subject to capital controls

tbh, i dont know why are u so triggered

dont know what happen but wish u happy everyday

Benjamin91

Master Member
Reaction score

I heard from my fren, that need at least 6 mths reside in China to open an account, how do you open one?

SibehHL

Reaction score
Lol 😂 you are right, I need to refrain from responding to dumb posts. Good luck to your forex business. 🤣

hokay thanks, i know need china mobile number and identity documents

how about the rest? need residencial address also to open bank account?

thats not capital control

i can use transferwise and have a wallet no problem...RMB is subject to capital controls

tbh, i dont know why are u so triggered

dont know what happen but wish u happy everyday

Taxiboy

Reaction score
It works. I used it in Hangzhou before for shops that accept union pay. Just need to let them scan the QR code in the netspay app.

Wow best. But I wonder what's the acceptance rate for union pay code in China

sesame246

Reaction score
It works. I used it in Hangzhou before for shops that accept union pay. Just need to let them scan the QR code in the netspay app.

when did you use it? China changes their rules & regulations often. previously can transfer $ to wechat wallet now can't.

Great if netspay works, I dont mind paying the transaction fee for small purchases so long as it is convenient.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.