Wechat wallet

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh noooooooo

so foreigners cannot wechat pay anymore ?
alamak im going next week sia

and i just found out like a few mins ago, it uplory =/

kierai

Reaction score
Last night, I received RMB100 top-up in my wallet using WeChat PC version. But my friend in China highlighted that I still cannot make transaction if my account is not verified. And you will need a china-based bank card to do verification. I’m heading to China in November.

comex_1

Reaction score
Wechatpay wallet account can be verified with foreign Passport and Bank Credit Card.

Last night, I received RMB100 top-up in my wallet using WeChat PC version. But my friend in China highlighted that I still cannot make transaction if my account is not verified. And you will need a china-based bank card to do verification. I’m heading to China in November.

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to use foreign passport and credit card?
Got step by step instructions mah ?

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you happen to know whats the limit that you can received using this method ?

I do not think there is an official number since now WeChat Pay officially requires you to have a mainland China back card in order to use the service to receive money using red packets or transfer or QR code.

Numbers for the limit are floating around the websites like RMB2000 or RMB20000.

I have transactions (send plus receive) more than RMB25000 over the past 4 years for my main WeChat account. But now it stopped working for receiving red packets or transfer or through QR code payment. I do not know which triggered the prompt for me to link to a mainland China bank card, but I know that eventually you will be triggered. For my two other WeChat accounts, the prompt was triggered very fast which make them useless to me. I had less than RMB100 initially for both and later I spent the money and now leave only RMB5 for both accounts.

I still have RMB2400 in my balance for my WeChat account and I can still pay using the balance— just can not top up. Recently I paid for 2 years of QQ Music VIP (绿钻豪华版) using the balance since they had the offer.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Example prompt for mainland China bank card

rjJe3ih.jpg

So far I have no issues to continue paying money (to send red packet, transfer out, pay street vendor through QR code) but can not receive money.

Anyway, no harm to get verified using Singapore Credit Card. If it works then good. If it is not working, you can try 3rd party service. Worse case just remove the card.

Last edited:

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Example prompt for mainland China bank card

rjJe3ih.jpg

So far I have no issues to continue paying money (to send red packet, transfer out, pay street vendor through QR code) but can not receive money.

Anyway, no harm to get verified using Singapore Credit Card. If it works then good. If it is not working, you can try 3rd party service. Worse case just remove the card.

sorry do you mean 3rd party service to transfer money into your wechat account?

ccmheoa

Master Member
Reaction score
The netspay doesn't function like wechwt can directly deduct from debit card right? Netsoay have to top up the wallet and then can only use what's in the wallet and only with unionpay

Also money that is in the wallet cannot be withdrawn

Am in China now again. Used netsPay in supermarket and some convenient stores which accept union pay. Still working. Rest just use cash not too much of a problem still widely accepted.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry do you mean 3rd party service to transfer money into your wechat account?

Yes. I have not tried them but apparently they do work -- just the exchange rate is not that good.

You can try to top up by receiving money from your friends first to see if that works.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The netspay doesn't function like wechwt can directly deduct from debit card right? Netsoay have to top up the wallet and then can only use what's in the wallet and only with unionpay

Also money that is in the wallet cannot be withdrawn

If you do not have a mainland China bank card, you can only use the wechat pay wallet balance and not through the bank card. And you can not transfer the balance to your Singapore bank card either.

ccmheoa

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes the 1st time I tried to use netspay was at a Huawei shop in huaqiangbei that doesn't take Visa/master.

But failed as didn't realised "*All UnionPay payments will be deducted from the wallet.You will need to have sufficient funds in the wallet before making payment
"

Unionpay isn't as widely used in china especially the smaller shops, frequently only take wechat

If you do not have a mainland China bank card, you can only use the wechat pay wallet balance and not through the bank card. And you can not transfer the balance to your Singapore bank card either.

XER

Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wechat screen looks nothing like the one shown in that URL is there anything i must do to get there?

Try this.

Wechat -- Me 我 -- Wechat Pay 支付 -- Wallet 钱包 -- Cards 银行卡-- Add Card 添加银行卡

If you do not even have the Wechat Pay option in “Me" screen, ask your friend to send you red packet RMB 1 to see if you can get that option.

You may also try to change the Wechat language to Chinese to see if that helps.

Official Tencent Info here
https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/160212aMfaQB160212nMrm6j.html?from=

https://kf.qq.com/touch/faq/160212NB7nua160212myIrma.html

Last edited:

chameleon20

Reaction score
UaLs0Gx.jpg

I already opened China bank account using Singapore passport last year and linked to Wechat pay and used a few times during my trips to China.
When I tried to withdraw red packet via my Wechat pay today, it required me to verify my account via submitting proof of identification and only HK, Taiwan and China passports/identification cards are accepted - see image
I have balance in my Wechat and can’t even withdraw until I verified my account.
Anybody encountered this problem and have you tried submitting using Singapore passport?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I already opened China bank account using Singapore passport last year and linked to Wechat pay and used a few times during my trips to China.
When I tried to withdraw red packet via my Wechat pay today, it required me to verify my account via submitting proof of identification and only HK, Taiwan and China passports/identification cards are accepted - see image
I have balance in my Wechat and can’t even withdraw until I verified my account.
Anybody encountered this problem and have you tried submitting using Singapore passport?

It does not say Chinese passport at all, just proceed and verify with your Singapore passport. It is just saying that people from the Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan regions can use other form of ID like 回乡证,港澳居民居住证,台胞证,台湾居民居住证.

Take note WeChat wallet is really meant for Chinese citizen (Chinese ID card and China bank card) and foreigners living in China (foreign passport and China bank card). So foreign passport is accepted.

Ref:
https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/160718RJ7FFN160718m6r6nE.html

BTW, not so sure why you get triggered to add the passport info, supposedly with the China bank card added you can already use the money from the bank card to quite a big number.
https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/151210NZzmuY151210ZRj2y2.html?pla

Are you paying from your balance 微信零钱instead? Then the limit is lower. I think the RMB1000 limit for Category I accout is not really enforced but you should use the bank card to pay. You can top up your China bank card easily using the remittance services here in Singapore.

https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/170608iamQZV170608VjQnEv.html?scene_id=kf1744&from=wap&platform=15

Following website is the official knowledge base from Tenchat. They are more and more following the rules as the Chinese authorities strengthen the control of capital outflow.
https://kf.qq.com/touch/product/wxpaysm_app.html?scene_id=kf1744&from=wap

Last edited:

SibehHL

Reaction score

One of my WeChat wallet account is linked to Singapore phone number + Singapore passport + Chinese bank card opened with the same passport. Everything's working well so far, used it to pay for downloading games in Steam....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.