HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wechat wallet

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #496

Hi,

just came back from Beijing yesterday. I went a few banks to try applying for a card.

1. ICBC Bank at 5th ring - reject immediately when enquire
2. Bank of China at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
3. ICBC Bank at 2nd ring (Chong Wen Men) - Can apply but waiting time is 2 weeks. You leave your name/contact number to the bank, they will call you about 2 weeks later for an appointment to go down to apply for a card (mentioned too many foreigners on waiting list)
4. ABC Bank at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
5. China Construction Bank at Terminal 3 Airport departure. Can apply on the spot but need Passport + Identity Card + Income Tax Statement.

All the above are enquired as a tourist on 30 days visa. I left without getting a card because I didnt have my ID with me.
Good info.

It seems to me in the end only No 2 ICBC Bank at 2nd Ring seems to be possible if you can wait for two weeks. What documents do they require?

For No 5, I feel a bit strange about the ID Card and the Income Tax Statement requirements. Are they really asking for your income tax statement in Singapore? Or they are asking about your income tax statement in China?

For people on 15 day visa free to China, looks like very difficult to get a mainland bank card in big cities like Beijing.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #497

Lol even simple act of changing currency at bank also need income statement n employment status. But over here in SG, everywhere accept wechat/alipay.
juxtaposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #498

Lol even simple act of changing currency at bank also need income statement n employment status. But over here in SG, everywhere accept wechat/alipay.
Better to change RMB cash in Singapore since you will get better rate.
Old 19-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #499

I agree la - Better to change RMB cash in Singapore since you will get better rate. And you can easily go to anywhere with out worry liao.
Old 19-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #500

Good info.

It seems to me in the end only No 2 ICBC Bank at 2nd Ring seems to be possible if you can wait for two weeks. What documents do they require?

For No 5, I feel a bit strange about the ID Card and the Income Tax Statement requirements. Are they really asking for your income tax statement in Singapore? Or they are asking about your income tax statement in China?

For people on 15 day visa free to China, looks like very difficult to get a mainland bank card in big cities like Beijing.
I did not ask for more info for ICBC because normally I dont stay so long over there.

China construction bank mentioned that passport alone is not sufficient, need more documents to prove your identity thus requesting for IC. For income tax statement I assumed it is referring to our local statement.

There are much convenient with cashless payment especially their largest notes is $100. Usually I bring SGD 3000-4000 worth of RMB over and they caused a bulge in pockets.

For small amount, DBS remit offers $0 fee with reasonable exchange rates
For larger amount, Chinatown remittance company charges $18 per transfer with better than market rate exchange rate.

It is still worthwhile to try getting a bank card in China and remit money into that account for spending.

Many restaurants allow self-order for food. You scan the QR code using your phone to browse, order and pay.

The most annoying part is whenever you use cash, they will check the notes if they are counterfeit before accepting it.
seowbin likes this.
TheV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #501

I agree it is good to use cashless payment in China. Luckily my main wechat account is still working for wechat pay even though it is not linked to a mainland China bank card. But I am not so sure how long it will continue to work.

Cash is still okay despite the hassle. Anyway Wechat Pay and Alipay are getting more stringent so most of the people here will not get them working. So no choice has to use cash. Frequent travellers can try the dual currency bank card from ICBC and BOC since you can deposit RMB here in Singapore and get RMB cash from ATM in China.

Not sure if 3rd party top up service for Wechat Pay and Alipay are still working for people without a mainland China bank card.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #502

I managed to open an ICBC account 2 years ago in Yunnan province. Guess you need to try the more remote 2nd or 3 tier cities.

I usually bank in to my local BOC account so that I can withdraw cash there and then bank into my ICBC China account. Very troublesome, but better than carrying loads of cash around.

All our banks in Singapore cannot transfer Chinese Yuan to China, even for BOC, unless you have a chinese ID.

The only way is via money changer but got to pay for service charge.
jywy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #503

Those who wish to convert SGD to wechat or wechat to SGD feel free to pm me
Old 22-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #504
High Supremacy Member

Was in china few dayz ago

Try to pay cash as i do not have alipay or wechat pay
To my surprise store got no small change
Kitaro9202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #505

Those who wish to convert SGD to wechat or wechat to SGD feel free to pm me
So looks like there are still tricks for 3rd party to provide such services.

Not so sure how it works for those new wechat users without a mainland China bank card.

I understand this may be your trade secret still just curious to ask if you temporary link a mainland China bank card to the wechat card to top up and then unlink the card, right? No need to answer if you feel uncomfortable to answer...
Old 23-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #506

Was in china few dayz ago

Try to pay cash as i do not have alipay or wechat pay
To my surprise store got no small change
My experiences of using cash in small towns were still okay as there are still old folks and students using cash. But yes using WeChat Pay was so much more convenient...

There were posters in front of the banks asking merchants not to discriminate cash, which means cash (small amount) is really being discriminated...

Last edited by xiaofan; 23-03-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Old 23-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #507

Not so sure how it works for those new wechat users without a mainland China bank card.

I understand this may be your trade secret still just curious to ask if you temporary link a mainland China bank card to the wechat card to top up and then unlink the card, right? No need to answer if you feel uncomfortable to answer...
can link sg debit/credit card too....
Ghost^recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #508

can link sg debit/credit card too....
No, no longer works for new users and some existing users.
Old 23-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #509

I have links with many China people in Singapore
Old 27-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #510
Great Supremacy Member

got link to buy their IC/bank account, bank token and mobile sim card?

like that solve all the problem liao for those who can't open a bank account in china

This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.