HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wechat wallet

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #571

I just came across this thread. So going by this news, can I assume that once my Citibank visa has been verified, I can immediately use WeChat to pay if I go to China next week?

Apologies for this newbie question but the last time I was in CN was 5+ years back & cash & credit cards were still widely accepted then.
Cash is still widely accepted. Foreign credit cards are accepted in certain places.

As for wechat pay, you will not be able to top up or pay street vendors. Only selected merchants accept this types of wechat pay linked to foreign credit card.

So in your case, bring enough cash.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-07-2019 at 12:15 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #572
Arch-Supremacy Member

Cash is still widely accepted. Foreign credit cards are accepted in certain places.

As for wechat pay, you will not be able to top us or pay street vendors. Only selected merchants accept this types of wechat pay linked to foreign credit card.

So in your case, bring enough cash.
Ok thanks a lot. So even if I open a RMB a/c in Bank of China & get a credit card there I guess it won’t work either right?
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #573

Ok thanks a lot. So even if I open a RMB a/c in Bank of China & get a credit card there I guess it won’t work either right?
May consider Bank of China Union Pay debit card. By banking in RMB in sg into account, u may use any BOC ATM in china to withdraw without addition charge. Can also use union pay for purchases as it is more widely accepted then VISA/MASTERS.

I opt for this option as carrying cash around in china is damn lek chek where by their biggest note is 100. So with the ATM card can jus withdraw on the go.

My 2rmb =)

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT
Beno777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #574
Arch-Supremacy Member

May consider Bank of China Union Pay debit card. By banking in RMB in sg into account, u may use any BOC ATM in china to withdraw without addition charge. Can also use union pay for purchases as it is more widely accepted then VISA/MASTERS.

I opt for this option as carrying cash around in china is damn lek chek where by their biggest note is 100. So with the ATM card can jus withdraw on the go.

My 2rmb =)

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT
Ok thanks a lot. I’ll go to bank of China & open a/c & ask more questions there then.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #575

Correct for wechat pay.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #576
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok I just found out that we can use Alipay in China linked to our Singapore credit cards. So no need the headaches associated with WeChat. This article shows how to do it:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/article...ay-this-is-how

I’ll test in S’pore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. I’ve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #577

Ok I just found out that we can use Alipay in China linked to our Singapore credit cards. So no need the headaches associated with WeChat. This article shows how to do it:

Iíll test in Sípore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. Iíve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.
From the link, "You can add foreign debit and credit cards here too, but to add funds into your Alipay balance youíll need to add the Chinese one first."

Does it mean I still need to apply for a Bank of China credit card and open RMB acct? If so, then I dont need to add my SG credit card as I can link the Alipay to the BOC acct? Is my understanding correct?
ixora2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #578
Arch-Supremacy Member

From the link, "You can add foreign debit and credit cards here too, but to add funds into your Alipay balance you’ll need to add the Chinese one first."

Does it mean I still need to apply for a Bank of China credit card and open RMB acct? If so, then I dont need to add my SG credit card as I can link the Alipay to the BOC acct? Is my understanding correct?
Seems like it. I’m gonna open a RMB a/c in BOC & get their Union Pay debit card & add it onto my Alipay as a backup.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #579

I’ll test in S’pore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. I’ve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.
Forget about it. It will not work for you if you do not have a mainland China bank card.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #580
Arch-Supremacy Member

Forget about it. It will not work for you if you do not have a mainland China bank card.
But my Visa card was readily accepted & I’ve also got my QR code now.

If cannot use in China, there should be a prompt saying I need a mainland China card right?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #581

But my Visa card was readily accepted & I’ve also got my QR code now.

If cannot use in China, there should be a prompt saying I need a mainland China card right?
Just try it -- ask your friend with proper Alipay account to send you RMB1 to see if you can receive it or not. The app will prompt you then to add a mainland China bank card. Anyway that was my experience with Alipay. So I gave up on Alipay.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-07-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 20-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #582

WeChat users in Hong Kong have their own separate wallet system denominated in HKD

Apparently, this WeChat Pay HK version can work in the rest of China, according to this Cantonese article:

https://www.eprice.com.hk/nb/talk/1141/25995/1/
Old 22-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #583

But my Visa card was readily accepted & Iíve also got my QR code now.

You can use it to pay vendor but cant transfer funds between users.
yamenaidepure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #584
Arch-Supremacy Member

Iíll test in Sípore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. Iíve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.
How is the testing
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #585
Supremacy Member

Seems like it. Iím gonna open a RMB a/c in BOC & get their Union Pay debit card & add it onto my Alipay as a backup.
Itís 1 month already. Howís the review? Does it work??
madcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.