HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wechat wallet

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #736

Wechat pay still won't work in China with a Singapore credit card. It's greyed out in my wallet... despite the announcement last week. Alipay's tourpass is the only option but bear in mind of the 3% exchange rate (somebody in this forum pointed put better rate with Youpay?). Tried paying for coffee and it didn't work.

Plus, the limit is RMB2,000. Once your spending maxed out, they won't allow you to top up anymore. I finished 2K in just a week on a shoestring budget. It isn't practical but it's a good start. Cash is still widely acceptable.
icycokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #737
Master Member

Ask your friend with Wechat wallet to send you RMB1.0 and then try real name verification by adding the Singapore Band Card, and probably Passport and Selfie photo. This should enable the Wechat Pay.
I just did that for one of my wechat account love linked to a Starhub prepaid sim and a OCBC credit card. They are asking for Passport Number but did not ask for uploading the document.

Now the wallet function is activated. But the international credit card use cares are limited. I just tried, can not top up using Red Packet or Transfer (grayed out), so in reality not very useful now.

Ref:
https://kf.qq.com/touch/sappfaq/1807...=singlemessage

Last edited by xiaofan; 17-11-2019 at 04:37 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #738
Master Member

Wechat pay still won't work in China with a Singapore credit card. It's greyed out in my wallet... despite the announcement last week. Alipay's tourpass is the only option but bear in mind of the 3% exchange rate (somebody in this forum pointed put better rate with Youpay?). Tried paying for coffee and it didn't work.

Plus, the limit is RMB2,000. Once your spending maxed out, they won't allow you to top up anymore. I finished 2K in just a week on a shoestring budget. It isn't practical but it's a good start. Cash is still widely acceptable.
It is mentioned Youtrip card has better rate.

Yes indeed Cash is still widely accepted. Hopefully the limit on Alipay Tour Pass will be gradually increased.

Hopefully WeChat international credit card use cases can be increased gradually as well. That is what Tencent mentioned in the news release.
Old 17-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #739
Master Member

Why top up? Try using WeChat to pay directly with your credit card instead of paying from wallet.
Other than 起点读书, have you have any other success story with the Singapore credit card?
Old 17-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #740
Master Member

How to use youtrip card with wechat pay? My youtrip card can't be added to my wechat
noobkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #741
Master Member

How to use youtrip card with wechat pay? My youtrip card can't be added to my wechat
With Alipay Tour Pass, not wechat.
Old 17-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #742

It is mentioned Youtrip card has better rate.

Yes indeed Cash is still widely accepted. Hopefully the limit on Alipay Tour Pass will be gradually increased.

Hopefully WeChat international credit card use cases can be increased gradually as well. That is what Tencent mentioned in the news release.
Yes, hopefully. With the recent advancement, I think they're working hard to get a slice of the pie. Only limitation is the regulation.

They're contented with domestic market for now.
icycokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #743

Other than 起点读书, have you have any other success story with the Singapore credit card?
No success with Xiami. Card not supported. But can pay by Alipay
JT2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #744
Master Member

Thanks for the updates. So it seems to me 起点读书 may be an exception for WeChat Pay.

In conclusion, for now it is easier to use Alipay Tourpass which works for app payment or street vendors (but not Taobao/Tmall).

RMB2000 Alipay Tourpass limit is good enough if you are using it for app payment. But certain apps may only accept WeChat Pay.

RMB2000 is also pretty useful to pay street vendors for short trips. But you need to bring some cash as well.

Wechat Pay is still useful as you can use Singapore credit to pay for certain things like Didi ride hailing, train tickets with 12306, etc. But not for street vendors or app payment in general.
Old 18-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #745

Also success with QQMusic. I think individual app need to enable accepting foreign credit card.
JT2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #746
Master Member

Also success with QQMusic. I think individual app need to enable accepting foreign credit card.
Good info. Thanks.

Alipay does not seem to support QQ Music payment last time I checked it.
Old 22-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #747
Master Member

Few month ago I did the following and managed receive Money.

Open Wechat, tap Discover on the bottom, search Wallet, open my wallet, select Money, select receive money, this will bring you to the ID verification process, select passport select Singapore......

after valification, your wechat now got Wallet function. you can add VISA card to it.

to receive money, log on to Wechat on Desktop computer, ask someone send money to you.

you may or may not succeful.
good luck .
Just want to point out this works based on the report in the Alipay thread. You need desktop version of WeChat.

Thank brother for the information, I just try, it really work, my wechat is able to receive the transfer fund on the PC version, no need verification, never know this can work, don’t know that there is this work around👍
Old 23-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #748

I had the opportunity to use Wechat Wallet and Alipay Tour Pass in the last two months in China and I must say that Wechat is more widely accepted. I had on one occasion the taxi driver did not accept Alipay, I had to pay cash.

Between the two apps Wechat is faster making payment. Alipay take a longer time to execute the scan and pay process. It is unfortunate that I have no more balances in my wechat wallet and can no longer top up the wallet. That was why I relied on Alipay Tourpass on my second trip. The exchange rate is terrible (4.92rmb).
Slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #749
Master Member

I had the opportunity to use Wechat Wallet and Alipay Tour Pass in the last two months in China and I must say that Wechat is more widely accepted. I had on one occasion the taxi driver did not accept Alipay, I had to pay cash.

Between the two apps Wechat is faster making payment. Alipay take a longer time to execute the scan and pay process. It is unfortunate that I have no more balances in my wechat wallet and can no longer top up the wallet. That was why I relied on Alipay Tourpass on my second trip. The exchange rate is terrible (4.92rmb).
Try the workaround by using PC version of WeChat to top up by asking your friends to transfer to you.
Old 27-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #750

It's not the exchange rate is terrible. You need to use the CORRECT visa or mastercard when linked with tour pass. The RMB that you see on the Tour Pass is from the Visa or Mastercard that you link with Tour Pass. In this case, Youtrip mastercard or any equivalent visa or mastercard that has low or almost nil when come to forex charge. I used Youtrip card to link with tour pass around prior to Nov 11, i got the rate like 5.1+
beanstalk6 likes this.
hslovemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.