Wechat wallet

elvintay07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last year I spend about 25 days only got one rejection, which could be due to phone signal problem.
I dont know why previously I keep getting rejected due to bank or WeChat blocking. A few of my friends all use the atas bank card all gone case. Lucky 1 guy with you trip save us.

16/8IF

Reaction score
I dont know why previously I keep getting rejected due to bank or WeChat blocking. A few of my friends all use the atas bank card all gone case. Lucky 1 guy with you trip save us.
I linked two local banks CC , both all no problem. First time need to key in the OTP and next one don't need.
Sometime this is on the bank side. I encountered this when I shop on Shopee sometime when I pay over 100 no need OTP other time only 2 need OTP.

My problem in China for that time most likely is phone signal problem.

Anyway from other postings.. seems now better even non verified account can use. ( look into the Alipay thread where there are postings too).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway from other postings.. seems now better even non verified account can use. ( look into the Alipay thread where there are postings too).

This seems to be in line with the news, not exactly sure about the amount. Some reports say US$2000 a year now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/08/china-is-making-it-much-easier-for-foreigners-to-use-mobile-pay.html

No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay.
https://english.www.gov.cn/news/202403/16/content_WS65f50078c6d0868f4e8e5255.html

The People's Bank of China, the country's central bank, released on Thursday a payment guide which provides foreigners with text and graphic instructions on using bank cards, cash, mobile payment and e-CNY in China.

No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay. Some international e-wallets such as TrueMoney, which originated in Thailand, and Naver Pay, which is frequently used in South Korea, are directly accepted by merchants in China. Foreigners can also open bank accounts with passports or other valid ID at major banks such as Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.

According to Wang Pengbo, a senior analyst at market consultancy Botong Analysys, the requirement on ID for mobile payments in China used to be the major barrier making foreigners reluctant to connect mobile payment tools such as Alipay with their overseas bank cards.

Another major hurdle, which was the payment limit, was addressed at the beginning of this month when the PBOC announced that the single mobile payment transaction limit for foreigners in China was being increased from $1,000 to $5,000 and the annual limit was being increased from $10,000 to $50,000, said Wang.

16/8IF

Reaction score
This seems to be in line with the news, not exactly sure about the amount. Some reports say US$2000 a year now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/08/china-is-making-it-much-easier-for-foreigners-to-use-mobile-pay.html

No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay.
https://english.www.gov.cn/news/202403/16/content_WS65f50078c6d0868f4e8e5255.html

The People's Bank of China, the country's central bank, released on Thursday a payment guide which provides foreigners with text and graphic instructions on using bank cards, cash, mobile payment and e-CNY in China.

No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay. Some international e-wallets such as TrueMoney, which originated in Thailand, and Naver Pay, which is frequently used in South Korea, are directly accepted by merchants in China. Foreigners can also open bank accounts with passports or other valid ID at major banks such as Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.

According to Wang Pengbo, a senior analyst at market consultancy Botong Analysys, the requirement on ID for mobile payments in China used to be the major barrier making foreigners reluctant to connect mobile payment tools such as Alipay with their overseas bank cards.

Another major hurdle, which was the payment limit, was addressed at the beginning of this month when the PBOC announced that the single mobile payment transaction limit for foreigners in China was being increased from $1,000 to $5,000 and the annual limit was being increased from $10,000 to $50,000, said Wang.
Yeah
I know about this thru the official spokewoman of China account.

I think already someone posted in the Alipay thread he was able to use NON verified account NOW and had a limit of RMB 15,000.00

so things are changing going forward, hopefully maybe in future both WeChat pay and Alipay can also be used in SG....save me the trouble of bringing my wallet when I go out for morning exercise than can drop by the hawker center ( I didnt setup paylah etc and dont intend to), some maybe worried about the "charges" but small sum makes no difference for the convivence.

Thanks once again for posting the above info so that more people are aware.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Hopefully at least one of the 2 QR code payment methods will work for me without real-name verification. I am not looking for the unification of payment modes in both countries, it is enough just to have the convenience when I am visiting.

boringLife-

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the reason for not performing real name verification coz of privacy concern, come one.. it cant be avoided

You go order luckin coffee, the mini program will already ask you for location access and access your wechat profile info.

You go book ticket to attraction, you will be asked to give your wechat info and to make payment directly from wechat.

And ALL hotels will photocopy your passport

16/8IF

Reaction score
If the reason for not performing real name verification coz of privacy concern, come one.. it cant be avoided

You go order luckin coffee, the mini program will already ask you for location access and access your wechat profile info.

You go book ticket to attraction, you will be asked to give your wechat info and to make payment directly from wechat.

Don't know about others, I have no problem.

Even if you stay at friend's apt you still have to register with the police post and a photocopy of your passport will be stored into their computer database.

In fact they take all my thumb and fingers print, it is in their database including the facial recognition at the immigration counter.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

The problem is that they make real name verification difficult with the requirements for a Chinese phone number and a local bank account. Fulfilling these 2 requirements call for having Chinese residency. I simply gave up. I have no issue with hotel check-ins. I had a problem with the Luckin Coffee app in China, so I passed on the coffee. At attractions, I went for manual ticket counters.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem is that they make real name verification difficult with the requirements for a Chinese phone number and a local bank account. Fulfilling these 2 requirements call for having Chinese residency. I simply gave up. I have no issue with hotel check-ins. I had a problem with the Luckin Coffee app in China, so I passed on the coffee. At attractions, I went for manual ticket counters.

I agree. I still have RMB 213.42 dead money in my Wechat account linked to Singapore phone number and Singapore credit card. I also gave up on the Real Name Authentication.

I think they need to split into three types of Real Name Authentication.

1) For Chinese citizens or foreigners with a valid long term visa to stay -- Chinese phone number and a local bank account. With more rights and conveniences.

2) For foreign tourists -- Foreign Credit Card or Debit Card, and the Foreign Passport. With less rights but can easily spend money in China.

3) For foreign tourists -- Foreign Credit Card or Debit Card, with even less rights but can easily spend money in China with a lower spending limit than the second type.

16/8IF

Reaction score
I agree. I still have RMB 213.42 dead money in my Wechat account linked to Singapore phone number and Singapore credit card. I also gave up on the Real Name Authentication.

1) For Chinese citizens or foreigners with a valid long term visa to stay -- Chinese phone number and a local bank account. With more rights and conveniences.

2) For foreign tourists -- Foreign Credit Card or Debit Card, and the Foreign Passport. With less rights but can easily spend money in China.

3) For foreign tourists -- Foreign Credit Card or Debit Card, with even less rights but can easily spend money in China with a lower spending limit than the second type.
I don't seems to have real name authentication problem .

I don't have any long term visa , in fact I only used the 15 days visa free last year.

I have one account is setup like you all , Singapore Telephone and only SG CC , no problem too , still working as of today .

The rest is linked with China bank act and telephone including SG CC.

Will be making a new passport soon , hopefully everything will remains same .

Just sharing my experience .

beanstalk6

Reaction score

I shall sign up for type 2 to enable QR code payments and it allows single-sign-on to access Chinese apps like Didi and 12306

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I shall sign up for type 2 to enable QR code payments and it allows single-sign-on to access Chinese apps like Didi and 12306

When the news says "No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay", I tend to think it refers to Type 3.

I just hope they will allow Type 2 to do more things. I tend to think this will be the case since Chinese government wants to attract more foreigners to go to China and spend money in China.

But I am not so sure if that includes openning a local bank account in China. This seems to be mentioned in the news but I can not find clear documents from the banks yet.

Maybe we need to wait a few more months to see how it goes.

HoGnix

Reaction score
When the news says "No ID is required for transactions under a certain amount when foreigners use mobile payments such as Alipay, Weixin Pay and UnionPay", I tend to think it refers to Type 3.

I just hope they will allow Type 2 to do more things. I tend to think this will be the case since Chinese government wants to attract more foreigners to go to China and spend money in China.

But I am not so sure if that includes openning a local bank account in China. This seems to be mentioned in the news but I can not find clear documents from the banks yet.

Maybe we need to wait a few more months to see how it goes.
Share my recent experience, With the China mobile phone number, (I use CMLink), you can open a China local Bank Account using passport without additional requirement. Then, you use this Bank Card link to your WeChat account. After that, this WeChat account can send and receive money like locals.
For the money transfer to that account, apart from ask other WeChat user send to you, You can also withdraw Chinese Yuan using Youtrip Card, then Deposit to that account via ATM machine.

boringLife-

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Share my recent experience, With the China mobile phone number, (I use CMLink), you can open a China local Bank Account using passport without additional requirement. Then, you use this Bank Card link to your WeChat account. After that, this WeChat account can send and receive money like locals.
For the money transfer to that account, apart from ask other WeChat user send to you, You can also withdraw Chinese Yuan using Youtrip Card, then Deposit to that account via ATM machine.
you have business or family in china? It seems overkill if you are just a tourist

HoGnix

Reaction score
you have business or family in china? It seems overkill if you are just a tourist
I only have relatives in China.
Some benefits for have Bank account in China.
Spending Big amounts with no additional 3% card fees.
Using local Account pay Taobao or JD.com can have more discounts.
Avoid unfavorable forex Exchange rate.
And many more.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.