HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wechat wallet

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #121

how can that b.

mine use sg cc. all webchat hongbao able to deposit in.

but then i only have ard 50rmb nia.. jin little.
Because WeChat has recently stopped accepting and linking overseas credit cards to its Wallet function. If you've registered yours previously, good for you. If you didn't and try now to set it up as new, you'll receive the error message: "暂不支持通过境外卡注册微信支付账户,请先添加中国大陆银行卡完成账户注册".
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #122

I managed to open an account with ICBC in Yunnan (think it is remote enough) last week while I was on holiday there. They issued me with a debit card which I managed to link to Alipay, WeChat wallet and Didi.

You must have a local mobile number and your passport to do so. They didn’t even require a residential address.

I got my Mobile Number from China mobile. 中国移动. Just look for their 营业厅using Baidu 百度地图. They usually open until quite late.

The monthly subscription is about 30 rmb. Just topup your line 手机充值 using Alipay, so that your number will not be terminated once you fail to pay.

It’s easy to check your account balances using their respective mobile apps.

I also checked with BOC, they do not open accounts for foreigners without residential permit. Guess this applies countrywide for BOC.

Hope this helps.
beanstalk6 and ventin like this.

Last edited by jywy2005; 05-08-2018 at 10:56 AM..
jywy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #123

I managed to open an account with ICBC in Yunnan Lijiang (think it is remote enough) last week while I was on holiday there. They issued me with a debit card which I managed to link to Alipay, WeChat wallet and Didi.

You must have a local mobile number and your passport to do so. They didnít even require a residential address.

I got my Mobile Number from China mobile. 中国移动. Just look for their 营业厅using Baidu 百度地图. They usually open until quite late.

The monthly subscription is about 30 rmb. Just topup your line 手机充值 using Alipay, so that your number will not be terminated once you fail to pay.

Itís easy to check your account balances using their respective mobile apps.

I also checked with BOC, they do not open accounts for foreigners without residential permit, even in Lijiang. Guess this applies countrywide for BOC.

Hope this helps.
Agree totally with account given above. Don't bother with BOC. Firstly, you will need a local number for SMS verification every time you make a transaction and only a Chinese identification card is accepted. ICBC allows foreigners to open accounts using passports and you can ask for the 2FA token instead so you can continue to transact while you are not in China. I checked out both banks and opened an account with ICBC last week. I shall be able to use WeChat and other digital payments the next time I visit China.
ventin and seowbin like this.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #124
Great Supremacy Member

Agree totally with account given above. Don't bother with BOC. Firstly, you will need a local number for SMS verification every time you make a transaction and only a Chinese identification card is accepted. ICBC allows foreigners to open accounts using passports and you can ask for the 2FA token instead so you can continue to transact while you are not in China. I checked out both banks and opened an account with ICBC last week. I shall be able to use WeChat and other digital payments the next time I visit China.
good for you

else if your company have china counterpart, they are good buddies with you. they can help you with a company letter to say that you work there.

i told them about this, one of the guy suddenly told me that they hold the company chop
Old 16-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #125
Master Member

Opened account with BOC China.
Used my passport, and the photo ID for the site that i am working in.
They allowed, but another branch nearby don't.

So not all have same issue.....
If i access BOC China's APP, i do not need 2FA on the China's Prepaid line. I just log in using the password.

Transaction, i use Alipay or WeChat pay, linked to the bank account. Without the need of any authentication on the mobile number.
Old 17-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #126

You meant you are in Guangzhou and cannot open an account?

Sent from Xiaomi MIX using GAGT
need 180days visa..

just came back from guangzhou. tried BOC , SHPD , GZFZ all same
Paperweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #127
Great Supremacy Member

need 180days visa..

just came back from guangzhou. tried BOC , SHPD , GZFZ all same
Gz more cheesecake

Don't go there .
seowbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #128
Supremacy Member

Seems like after almost 1 year of this thread, the problem still persist. As a tourist to China, better change more cash. There is no money changer in China, only way to change is to go to their bank. And mind you queue can be long with 1 hour.

So far taxi hailing company Didi Chuxing is very good. They accept international credit card. No problem. If only Alipay and Wechat is this easy to set up.

As a occasional tourist, it make no sense to retain a China prepaid card. No sense also to setup bank account there just to visit 5 days. Unless you're a trader making frequent trips.
madcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #129

Seems like after almost 1 year of this thread, the problem still persist. As a tourist to China, better change more cash. There is no money changer in China, only way to change is to go to their bank. And mind you queue can be long with 1 hour.

So far taxi hailing company Didi Chuxing is very good. They accept international credit card. No problem. If only Alipay and Wechat is this easy to set up.

As a occasional tourist, it make no sense to retain a China prepaid card. No sense also to setup bank account there just to visit 5 days. Unless you're a trader making frequent trips.
Agree with this post. The solution will be to bring more cash. With the success of home-grown payment platforms like UnionPay, WeChat Wallet and AliPay in China, Chinese retailers will likely drop Visa, MasterCard and Amex outside of major tourist establishments. As domestic tourists outnumber the foreign market everywhere anyway, there is simply no incentive to offer Visa/MasterCard/Amex. Off the beaten path, the only cashless sytem you will encounter are likely to be only WeChat Wallet, as even UnionPay and AliPay are not so widely accepted by common folk such as taxi drivers and shopkeepers.

Depending on your frequency of visits to China, it may or may not make sense to maintain a WeChat Wallet as in order to support it, you need a linked local mobile number and perhaps a bank account. At this moment, it costs 18RMB monthly to support a pre-paid mobile subscription. Some banks deduct a monthly fee to keep your account open.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #130
Master Member

Agree with this post. The solution will be to bring more cash. With the success of home-grown payment platforms like UnionPay, WeChat Wallet and AliPay in China, Chinese retailers will likely drop Visa, MasterCard and Amex outside of major tourist establishments. As domestic tourists outnumber the foreign market everywhere anyway, there is simply no incentive to offer Visa/MasterCard/Amex. Off the beaten path, the only cashless sytem you will encounter are likely to be only WeChat Wallet, as even UnionPay and AliPay are not so widely accepted by common folk such as taxi drivers and shopkeepers.

Depending on your frequency of visits to China, it may or may not make sense to maintain a WeChat Wallet as in order to support it, you need a linked local mobile number and perhaps a bank account. At this moment, it costs 18RMB monthly to support a pre-paid mobile subscription. Some banks deduct a monthly fee to keep your account open.
I think it's easy to find locals to xfer money to WeChat Or Alipay to you, and you pay cash to them.

Also there's cheap prepaid plans as low as RMB 5 to RMB 10.
Having a bank account, helps if you make purchases in TaoBao.
Also having a local number is not that hard if you know where to get them.
Old 22-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #131
Master Member

for my recent trip, my cc exchange rate was better than my cash: 4.6 to 4.8
gumbokins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #132

Hi, it is possible to link sg debit card to wechat. Just put your surname as your first name and english name as your last name.
Eg first name : Tan
last name: John
I managed to add my card just now hahaha but now the prob is how to put money in ...
Weikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #133
Great Supremacy Member

for my recent trip, my cc exchange rate was better than my cash: 4.6 to 4.8
it depends you change from where la. If you change in PRC bank, SG currency is like valueless . Around 1 SGD to 4.6 RMB

If you change in SG, it is around 4.8xx

If you really want to change currency there, bring HKD along. At least you won't suffer so much exchange loss.

Still the best lobang is to swap BOC card (zao bao unionpay) up to 1600 sgd, 5% rebate
I paid when statement due (currency rate could go up or down to your fav) but with the 5% rebate. It is almost 1 SGD to 5.04 RMB assuming you settle the payment in RMB (need to change RMB from money changer)

Last edited by seowbin; 09-07-2018 at 12:09 PM..
seowbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:17 AM   #134

Wah. Malaysia got it before us.

https://www.fomopay.com/2018/06/29/w...t-in-malaysia/
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #135
Supremacy Member

Wah. Malaysia got it before us.

https://www.fomopay.com/2018/06/29/w...t-in-malaysia/
Once again, no much details on how you are able to use this in China for non-china citizens. Every piece of such news is all about using it in other countries instead of their own.
madcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.