where in China to go in december?

Benjamin91

Master Member
Reaction score
harbin too cold liao la..going with my parents (50+ years)

Hangzhou, nanjing been before, that time with Shanghai.

Is Xi'an good choice? tigerair now got promotion.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I visited Xi'an in summer. I imagine everything will be grey or brown in winter. It will probably be too dangerous to climb Huashan, but the other attractions should be fine. Shorter visiting hours, perhaps, but if the cold gets too much, there are sights within the city like the provincial and city museums.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
Hangzhou and Nanjing

I'll be in Hangzhou on Christmas Eve and Nanjing on Christmas Day.

Used my miles and redeemed Business Class on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flying from Singapore to Hangzhou and returning from Nanjing to Singapore. Transiting Hong Kong both ways. Will be taking High Speed Rail from Hangzhou East Railway Station to Nanjing South Railway Station. Think I'll book the tickets from Ctrip first.

Redeemed using my hotel points to stay at the newly opened Hangzhou Marriott Qianjiang Hotel and The Grand Mansion, Luxury Collection (also pretty new) in Nanjing. First time staying at these 2 hotels.

I've been to Hangzhou and Nanjing before but that was quite some time ago. I have 2 friends in Nanjing that I will be meeting up for lunch or dinner and doing some catching up.

SOS9112001

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kunming, xishuang banna or haikou? 昆明,西双板呐,海口。。

uNrEaLiTy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Hangzhou on Christmas Eve and Nanjing on Christmas Day.

Used my miles and redeemed Business Class on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flying from Singapore to Hangzhou and returning from Nanjing to Singapore. Transiting Hong Kong both ways. Will be taking High Speed Rail from Hangzhou East Railway Station to Nanjing South Railway Station. Think I'll book the tickets from Ctrip first.

Redeemed using my hotel points to stay at the newly opened Hangzhou Marriott Qianjiang Hotel and The Grand Mansion, Luxury Collection (also pretty new) in Nanjing. First time staying at these 2 hotels.

I've been to Hangzhou and Nanjing before but that was quite some time ago. I have 2 friends in Nanjing that I will be meeting up for lunch or dinner and doing some catching up.

I'll be in Hangzhou on 24-26 Dec also! Redeemed Double Tree for 10000 points per night! Will be doing Hangzhou > Shanghai > Beijing ... how do you book/collect ctrip train tickets? Are they selling at same price as at counter?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Collect at the counter of the train station where you can also buy them. Ctrip charges a small fee.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Hangzhou on 24-26 Dec also! Redeemed Double Tree for 10000 points per night! Will be doing Hangzhou > Shanghai > Beijing ... how do you book/collect ctrip train tickets? Are they selling at same price as at counter?

As mentioned by beanstalk6, there is a admin fee if bought via ctrip.com.

It's the same price as Counter. The only good thing about buying in advance is you can select the trains to buy from as sometimes seats can be sold out. Usually from the counter by default they will assign 2nd class seat and the next available train to your destination station.

If you can read chinese (I can't), you can buy direct from here and select seats as well. However, I'm not sure if foreigners can buy or not. They have a Mobile App too.

www.12306.cn

You can try 2nd or 1st class seat. Business class seat is not worth it unless you're taking like super duper long distance since they can lie flat.

Do note that collecting and buying tickets are usually different counters I think.

Doubletree is a newly opened hotel in Hangzhou to the east side. There's a nearby subway station it looks like you can take to the Central area and where Xihu is.

Last edited:

crazysmash

Reaction score
Chengdu and thereafter to Jiuzhaigou is a good itinerary. Chengdu is a nice city where there is a Panda observatory.

uNrEaLiTy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As mentioned by beanstalk6, there is a admin fee if bought via ctrip.com.

It's the same price as Counter. The only good thing about buying in advance is you can select the trains to buy from as sometimes seats can be sold out. Usually from the counter by default they will assign 2nd class seat and the next available train to your destination station.

If you can read chinese (I can't), you can buy direct from here and select seats as well. However, I'm not sure if foreigners can buy or not. They have a Mobile App too.

www.12306.cn

You can try 2nd or 1st class seat. Business class seat is not worth it unless you're taking like super duper long distance since they can lie flat.

Do note that collecting and buying tickets are usually different counters I think.

Doubletree is a newly opened hotel in Hangzhou to the east side. There's a nearby subway station it looks like you can take to the Central area and where Xihu is.

thanks for the information. Is there a long queue for ticket collection?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
thanks for the information. Is there a long queue for ticket collection?

Be there an hour at least before your planned train departure. Many Chinese will use the ticketing machines, but some who want last minute tickets may queue.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Be there an hour at least before your planned train departure. Many Chinese will use the ticketing machines, but some who want last minute tickets may queue.

Depending on train stations. Some stations, the queue can be 2 hours. Always buy online cos the service/transaction fee is almost nothing compared to the queuing. The crowd at some stations is really amazing. You barely move an inch in half an hour, plus there's always people trying to cut/jump queue.

Benjamin91

Master Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of going on a china tour as those seen on ctrip website, but i cant book as no china number.
Any suggestion how?

ginger1

Reaction score
harbin too cold liao la..going with my parents (50+ years)

Hangzhou, nanjing been before, that time with Shanghai.

Is Xi'an good choice? tigerair now got promotion.

Yes, Harbin is very cold. I went there 2 years ago and froze to death :=:(

KnockOutSg

Reaction score
Most China cities are cold in Dec. Depends if you want snow or not.

Otherwise go to the South like Hainan where it is warmer.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.