HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 2

Like Tree1410Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #9841
Arch-Supremacy Member

Has anyone upgraded an EXTERNAL ps4 hdd before? Let's say the current external USB hdd (used for storing games) is A and the new one is B (bigger capacity)...

- Is there an option to plug in both at the same time and just copy directly from A to B?

- Do I have to redownload everything all over again, onto B this time?

- Can I do this: move some games from A to ps4 internal hdd (depending how much space is available on the internal hdd), detach A properly, attach B, move those games from internal hdd to B; detach B, attach A, move more back to internal hdd... , repeat the process.

TIA.
No...that is not possible.

Have to redo
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #9842

why not juz buy like 6GB external hdd? problem solved
Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #9843
Arch-Supremacy Member

looking at the current state of Warframe,...this seems like a much better and deeper game than Destiny sia.....

yes...it definitely is...

been playing warframe since launch...it's like a totally different game now..

and free to boot.

yes, there's alot of grind...but the grind is one of the fairest in f2p games.

the only thing against warframe is it can be extremely intimidating and confusing to new players.

the number of systems, mods and whatnot piling on top of the game can be very overwhelming for noobs. and the initial tutorial ain't helping much.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #9844
Master Member

funny how the press keep hyping Destiny but nv try to compare it with Warframe

yes...it definitely is...

been playing warframe since launch...it's like a totally different game now..

and free to boot.

yes, there's alot of grind...but the grind is one of the fairest in f2p games.

the only thing against warframe is it can be extremely intimidating and confusing to new players.

the number of systems, mods and whatnot piling on top of the game can be very overwhelming for noobs. and the initial tutorial ain't helping much.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #9845
Master Member

why not juz buy like 6GB external hdd? problem solved
I assume you mean 6TB, not 6GB. Even though I am 100% on digital, 6TB would be an overkill. There is absolutely no need for me to have everything downloaded onto my PS4.

I am currently using 1TB and ordered a 4TB (sian, still havent shipped since black friday). The problem/question was how do I transfer the current 1TB of downloaded contents onto the new 4TB. (Buying a 6TB doesn't solve the problem, it IS the problem!)

Based on lordlad0's reply, looks like have to re-download all 1TB again, can't move chunks back to internal hdd and use that as intermediate storage for transferring between A and B.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #9846

I am relatively new to ps4. Bought a few digital games via singapore ps store during sales. Search online and understand the following. If I set my console to be a primary console. In an event that my harddisk crashed or ps4 dies, 1) i will just need to buy a new ps4 or new harddisk. 2) go sony online to deactivate the primary ps4. Then, activate new console or harddisk. 3) log in to psn using existing account. 4) redownloaded games that i have purchased digitally via psn. Am i right? If not the digital copies will be wasted.. Each time i buy games online, jin scare ps4 spoil. The sales n discounts made buying addictive, keep buying but no time to play. Hahah. . And lastly, if i run out space, i can just delete the purchased games n download anytime n repeat whenever right? Gt limit?

Last edited by j4nfz1981; 06-12-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #9847
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am relatively new to ps4. Bought a few digital games via singapore ps store during sales. Search online and understand the following. If I set my console to be a primary console. In an event that my harddisk crashed or ps4 dies, 1) i will just need to buy a new ps4 or new harddisk. 2) go sony online to deactivate the primary ps4. Then, activate new console or harddisk. 3) log in to psn using existing account. 4) redownloaded games that i have purchased digitally via psn. Am i right? If not the digital copies will be wasted.. Each time i buy games online, jin scare ps4 spoil. And lastly, if i run out space, i can just delete the purchased games n download anytime n repeat whenever right? Gt limit?
Digital copies is tag to your psn. i.e, you can access to your games in your primary console and log into your psn in “secondary” console.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #9848
Arch-Supremacy Member

I assume you mean 6TB, not 6GB. Even though I am 100% on digital, 6TB would be an overkill. There is absolutely no need for me to have everything downloaded onto my PS4.

I am currently using 1TB and ordered a 4TB (sian, still havent shipped since black friday). The problem/question was how do I transfer the current 1TB of downloaded contents onto the new 4TB. (Buying a 6TB doesn't solve the problem, it IS the problem!)

Based on lordlad0's reply, looks like have to re-download all 1TB again, can't move chunks back to internal hdd and use that as intermediate storage for transferring between A and B.
yes...that's correct, the ps4 can only use one external storage formatted for apps/games at any one time...thus cannot do the process you wanted.
PierceLee likes this.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #9849
Arch-Supremacy Member

because warframe is not a 'new' game unlike destiny 2 (it existed since 4 years ago) and also is a free2play game..

regardless of press coverage, Warframe is doing pretty well by itself and its player base. It's constantly in top 10 free2play most played games on Steam and PSN...not a small feat especially on steam where the competition includes CS:GO & DOTA2. If you think about it, the press barely mentioned CS:GO other than those gambling scandals and DOTA2 other than the tournaments. It's the same thing.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #9850

New PS4 owner here, bought during Cyber Monday for 299, been loving it so far. Currently playing most of the PS4 exclusive games
Old 06-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #9851
Arch-Supremacy Member

New PS4 owner here, bought during Cyber Monday for 299, been loving it so far. Currently playing most of the PS4 exclusive games
Enjoy your Ps4

MHW coming soon.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #9852
Arch-Supremacy Member

Cause Destiny is Triple A game with a huge budget and advertising power behind it.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #9853
Master Member

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #9854
Master Member

I thought you can backup to ext harddisk and restore it on another PS4 or the replaced HDD in the PS4? I managed to did it once when I upgrade from 500 GB to 2TB HDD for my ps4 slim.

just take note if you have PS+ just backup all the saved games.

Unless you are talking about the games you save to ext drive? Then the best bet is to clone the drive which it should work in theory.

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by DARTHNERD; 06-12-2017 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #9855
Supremacy Member

Don’t need redownload. Everything can be transferred to hdd except game saves. I transferred my stuff to my 4tb external hdd too. Just manage storage in your PS4.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.