HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 3

Like Tree506Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #6331
Arch-Supremacy Member

recommend d/l and try it hands on.

my opinion is, will get bored very fast. not worth buying.
will wait for deep deep sale. this game is to milk marvel fans only. the missions are all very similar. rather play fall guys which is fun.
Old 17-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #6332
Master Member

My first impression of Marvel's Avengers (Beta)... (long text warning)

I have unlocked quite a lot on the skill trees for the 4 characters, so I have a better feel of combat now. Still I don't find combat satisfying. Each character has some good bits but also lots of things that keep it from being fun. Like Ironman, his rockets and pulse (heavy attack) are useful but keep running out of 'ammo' (have to melee enemies to refill bar, makes no sense). His laser (direct beam or spinning rays) doesn't deal much damage. And to fly from one spot to another (like holding an area then go to another that is under attack), the flying is slow, switch to flight mode (L3) he flies too fast, the transition from flight to ground attack is slow and imprecise. Hulk is amazingly weak and lacks range attack (throwing different sizes of rocks usually miss). Ms Marvel's range attack is very limited in range. Most of her moves I don't really see how they are useful so I end up using the basic ones. Black Widow is an all-rounder but not particularly powerful in anything. And all the characters seem to lack area-clearing abilities, there are some AOE attacks but they are quit lame, like Hulk jumping up and elbow slam, doesn't kill anyone. How about just a simple grenade (I think it's Black Widow who has some sort of grenade but doesn't do much) or grenade/rocket launcher (Ironman has rockets but doesn't do much of AOE damage). There's no good hero that I want to keep playing (though I definitely hate playing as Hulk).

I am also confused with those skills involving dodge. A lot of skills are described like "when dodging, triangle to...", am I supposed to manually execute a dodge (circle button) then execute this move, or by pressing this button it will automatically do a dodge and then the move? How the heck is Hulk able to pull off such moves when his dodge is so super slow? There are a lot of unexplained things, like how the L1/R1/L1+R1 skill meters are filled, what is willpower, what are all the orange/red/white/purple orbs (green ones are obviously health), what are the different 'element' types (like cryo), what's the difference between the different color artifacts (doesn't seem to relate to element types). Hopefully that's because in the beta they took out a big section that would explain these. (Btw, I find it ridiculous that the superheroes have to keep smashing crates like some cartoon game mascots.)

There's quite a lot of bad UI designs. My biggest gripe is how tedious it is to swap characters (no, you can't swap on-the-fly during battle, I am not talking about that). To swap, you have to go to the table, select a mission, then go to the menu for party member selection, then enter the character menu from there. When you are viewing the gears or skills of one hero, you can't just hit a button (R1/L1) to view another hero, this is so stupid and tedious. I know, in Destiny you have to exit to title screen to switch, but the characters there are isolated, you can't play together with your other characters, here you are a party of heroes, you have to manage the other characters at the same time. And it seems like the game doesn't remember what you set up before. When returning to the game, your matchmaking setting is reset to On. And when I returned all the other heroes have their gears reset to the default weakest. Also have to complain that the interact button (hold square, to open chest or interact with a panel or lift button) is too sensitive to how close you are and the direction you are facing. Sometime I see the prompt but when I hold square, Ironman will start punching air (light attack) then do upper cut and fly into the air (his move when holding light attack button), really hilarious.

The graphics I can still tahan, nothing great, far below Destiny level. The frame rate is so so bad. Often simply looking around can give me minor dizziness, even when just walking around the home base. (And wtf with the super slow walking speed on the ship. You can sprint as normal but Kamala walks so very slowly. This reminds me of Anthem's home base slow walk, not a good reference they want to compare to.) Talking about visuals, when you change individual gears (on the Gears menu), there is no visible change on your character. The only change is when you switch costume (on the Cosmetics menu), which you have to buy with in-game currency (which you get by completing daily and weekly challenges) and most likely through paid microtransactions.

At this point, I am not convinced with this live-service game. Will wait for reviews, which I don't think is going to be good, but given the license I think the game is still going to sell very well, so it might be a few years before it goes free-to-play. What I want to see is how much more contents there is in the full game. How much more story campaign there is (hopefully those can be played repeatedly)? Are there going to be open-world areas where different players can roam together freely and take on common public events (like Destiny, Anthem) etc. (unlikely, given there are only a few heroes, you will be running into identical Ironmans everywhere, lol)? Are there going to be seasons (meaning you have to pay $10 or something every 3 months)? All these currently available small missions on the table and HARM room are not what I consider 'contents', they are more like 'challenge rooms', they are not even at the level of Destiny's strikes or raids. If such 'contents' is all there is, this game is repetitive as hell. For the record, after playing Anthem's beta, I was still leaning towards buying that game (the reviews stopped me, heng ah), but here I am not even thinking about it (unless reviews are so overwhelmingly positive).

PS. Surprisingly I am not tired of Fall Guys yet, don't find it repetitive at all, lol.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #6333
Arch-Supremacy Member

Spoiler!

Have you played Ultimate Marvel Alliance 3 on the Switch, if so, how is it compared to that?

Should probably be better on PC unless it's badly optimized and can mod too.
justln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #6334
Supremacy Member

PS4 graphics won't be as good as this. be it pro or not.
my RX580 OC 8GB will be yawning loading these crap graphics that look like ps3 era.
kiryu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 12:51 AM   #6335
Arch-Supremacy Member

my RX580 OC 8GB will be yawning loading these crap graphics that look like ps3 era.
Just watched a bit of the video, I feel like vomiting.
justln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #6336
Arch-Supremacy Member

willpower is the char health bar. some skills can regenerate health or you can pick green orbs. the bar below for ironman is his ammo. for hulk is his rage. need to do light attacks or receive damage to fill the 2nd bar.

need to press circle to dodge manually. time will slow down after a successful dodge so you can execute a skill.

don't know why they make hulk so weak. he is like the weakest char in the game. black widow is like the better char. will wait for deep deep sale cos i want to play as spider-man.
Old 18-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #6337

didn't expect this, sushi getting co-op multiplayer as free update

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/ghos...ming-this-fall
Soulhacker likes this.
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #6338
Greater Supremacy Member

I have unlocked quite a lot on the skill trees for the 4 characters, so I have a better feel of combat now. Still I don't find combat satisfying. Each character has some good bits but also lots of things that keep it from being fun. Like Ironman, his rockets and pulse (heavy attack) are useful but keep running out of 'ammo' (have to melee enemies to refill bar, makes no sense). His laser (direct beam or spinning rays) doesn't deal much damage. And to fly from one spot to another (like holding an area then go to another that is under attack), the flying is slow, switch to flight mode (L3) he flies too fast, the transition from flight to ground attack is slow and imprecise. Hulk is amazingly weak and lacks range attack (throwing different sizes of rocks usually miss). Ms Marvel's range attack is very limited in range. Most of her moves I don't really see how they are useful so I end up using the basic ones. Black Widow is an all-rounder but not particularly powerful in anything. And all the characters seem to lack area-clearing abilities, there are some AOE attacks but they are quit lame, like Hulk jumping up and elbow slam, doesn't kill anyone. How about just a simple grenade (I think it's Black Widow who has some sort of grenade but doesn't do much) or grenade/rocket launcher (Ironman has rockets but doesn't do much of AOE damage). There's no good hero that I want to keep playing (though I definitely hate playing as Hulk).

I am also confused with those skills involving dodge. A lot of skills are described like "when dodging, triangle to...", am I supposed to manually execute a dodge (circle button) then execute this move, or by pressing this button it will automatically do a dodge and then the move? How the heck is Hulk able to pull off such moves when his dodge is so super slow? There are a lot of unexplained things, like how the L1/R1/L1+R1 skill meters are filled, what is willpower, what are all the orange/red/white/purple orbs (green ones are obviously health), what are the different 'element' types (like cryo), what's the difference between the different color artifacts (doesn't seem to relate to element types). Hopefully that's because in the beta they took out a big section that would explain these. (Btw, I find it ridiculous that the superheroes have to keep smashing crates like some cartoon game mascots.)

There's quite a lot of bad UI designs. My biggest gripe is how tedious it is to swap characters (no, you can't swap on-the-fly during battle, I am not talking about that). To swap, you have to go to the table, select a mission, then go to the menu for party member selection, then enter the character menu from there. When you are viewing the gears or skills of one hero, you can't just hit a button (R1/L1) to view another hero, this is so stupid and tedious. I know, in Destiny you have to exit to title screen to switch, but the characters there are isolated, you can't play together with your other characters, here you are a party of heroes, you have to manage the other characters at the same time. And it seems like the game doesn't remember what you set up before. When returning to the game, your matchmaking setting is reset to On. And when I returned all the other heroes have their gears reset to the default weakest. Also have to complain that the interact button (hold square, to open chest or interact with a panel or lift button) is too sensitive to how close you are and the direction you are facing. Sometime I see the prompt but when I hold square, Ironman will start punching air (light attack) then do upper cut and fly into the air (his move when holding light attack button), really hilarious.

The graphics I can still tahan, nothing great, far below Destiny level. The frame rate is so so bad. Often simply looking around can give me minor dizziness, even when just walking around the home base. (And wtf with the super slow walking speed on the ship. You can sprint as normal but Kamala walks so very slowly. This reminds me of Anthem's home base slow walk, not a good reference they want to compare to.) Talking about visuals, when you change individual gears (on the Gears menu), there is no visible change on your character. The only change is when you switch costume (on the Cosmetics menu), which you have to buy with in-game currency (which you get by completing daily and weekly challenges) and most likely through paid microtransactions.

At this point, I am not convinced with this live-service game. Will wait for reviews, which I don't think is going to be good, but given the license I think the game is still going to sell very well, so it might be a few years before it goes free-to-play. What I want to see is how much more contents there is in the full game. How much more story campaign there is (hopefully those can be played repeatedly)? Are there going to be open-world areas where different players can roam together freely and take on common public events (like Destiny, Anthem) etc. (unlikely, given there are only a few heroes, you will be running into identical Ironmans everywhere, lol)? Are there going to be seasons (meaning you have to pay $10 or something every 3 months)? All these currently available small missions on the table and HARM room are not what I consider 'contents', they are more like 'challenge rooms', they are not even at the level of Destiny's strikes or raids. If such 'contents' is all there is, this game is repetitive as hell. For the record, after playing Anthem's beta, I was still leaning towards buying that game (the reviews stopped me, heng ah), but here I am not even thinking about it (unless reviews are so overwhelmingly positive).

PS. Surprisingly I am not tired of Fall Guys yet, don't find it repetitive at all, lol.
Ang moh dua Ki all fappin at the game super hard. Those at avengers discord. Either they are super hardcore fans compared to us Singaporeans or the game is really that good to them. Lol.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #6339
Greater Supremacy Member

didn't expect this, sushi getting co-op multiplayer as free update

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/ghos...ming-this-fall
Yah, just saw this news too. Really a huge thumb up to SP. Really show their sincerity to want to thank their customers.

If this ish some other greedy AAA coy confirm plus chop will charge people another $30+ $40+ just for the co-op DLC.

Too bad GoT ish not coming to PC platform.

But now, they'll only do it for money.
Soulhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #6340
Master Member

willpower is the char health bar. some skills can regenerate health or you can pick green orbs. the bar below for ironman is his ammo. for hulk is his rage. need to do light attacks or receive damage to fill the 2nd bar.

need to press circle to dodge manually. time will slow down after a successful dodge so you can execute a skill.

don't know why they make hulk so weak. he is like the weakest char in the game. black widow is like the better char. will wait for deep deep sale cos i want to play as spider-man.
Oh so that's willpower. I know the bars but not what they are called. Talking about the HUD, below the ammo bar, there are icons for different range weapons (you switch using D-pad left/right). I find it hard to see which one is currently selected (unless like Black Widow can just see what gun or how many guns she's holding). It's only a bit of the icon being brighter white than the rest of the white icon.

I'll try out the dodge moves this weekend, just to complete the skill trees.

I think Spider-man is just going to feel like Black Widow, unless they let you swing without anchoring to anything.
WhiteHunter likes this.
Old 18-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #6341
Master Member

Ang moh dua Ki all fappin at the game super hard. Those at avengers discord. Either they are super hardcore fans compared to us Singaporeans or the game is really that good to them. Lol.
Just like FF15, we Singaporeans (and HK also) aren't positive towards it but the ang mohs loved it.
Old 18-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #6342
Master Member

Have you played Ultimate Marvel Alliance 3 on the Switch, if so, how is it compared to that?

Should probably be better on PC unless it's badly optimized and can mod too.
I've only played MUA 1 and 2 on PS3. Felt like very different games to this, I remember playing them like Diablo. They were just mindless brawlers, you do the story campaigns, solo or mp, just have fun playing, and they were very enjoyable (I think MUA 1 is better, can't remember much about 2). I like the art style of the MUA series a lot more, cos they are the comics look, not this new uncanny valley style.

Marvel's Avengers has added live-service elements but yet also not really MMO, in that it doesn't have an open world where players all gather and interact (even that Dragonball online fighting game has a lobby area where players hang around). It's just doing missions, which is similar to MUA actually, which begs the question what's the point of making it live-service? You know in the good old days you play a game, do the story campaign, that's it, maybe once in a while friends want to play together again then you replay. Games didn't want to fully occupy every free hour you have. But now they go for live-service, want to you log in and play every day (daily challenges etc.), basically to milk fans over and over. Maybe that's the influence of mobile games. (Heck, after every mission you are asked to give a rating. Wtf, is this a free mobile game?)

Side note, that's why little games like Fall Guys is so refreshing, it's not much of time investment, you can play as little or as much as you want, there's not much of RPG growth to lock you in, it's the game play that entices you.

If Marvel's Avengers is not live-service but just single-player (think Marvel Spider-man) or couch/online co-op (think Borderlands series) I would like it a lot more.
Old 19-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #6343
Supremacy Member

avengers just looks boring.

beta is free so will still try. its just expectation is getting lower and lower.
Downloaded the Beta just for my boy to play, apparently can get Fortnite item after completing 3 challenges.

He played and got the item so now game uninstalled. I didn't bother to play cause not my type of game.

Currently playing one of my backlogged PS+ games Detroit Become Human. Just like Heavy Rain, trying to get as many trophies as possible, not going for Plat.
Recce5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #6344
Master Member

Good to see everyone still gaming on ps4.

I am on nioh now. Think by the time i am done nioh 2 shd be on sale.

Sent from Toilet While Making Cake. using GAGT
networked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #6345
Arch-Supremacy Member

Good to see everyone still gaming on ps4.

I am on nioh now. Think by the time i am done nioh 2 shd be on sale.

Sent from Toilet While Making Cake. using GAGT
nioh 2 1st dlc just came out. maybe can wait for all dlcs to be released.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.