Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advice needed : Playstation vs Wii vs Xbox

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PierceLee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Smile Advice needed : Playstation vs Wii vs Xbox

Dear gaming experts here.

Am getting a game consol and really am out of touch in this area hence my seeking of your kind advice here.

Purpose is to let my kid and wife play 'cute' (non violent) or sports games on our led tv in the living room.

Budget about $300-$500 max with some games included. which type of consol will have more expensive consol games? I mean original ones, not those pirated ones

Which has more of such kid friendly or family games? Wii? what is the latest models now?

Many thanks in advance for your pointers.. any advice is very much appreciated, please.

Thank you!
moongazerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
High Honorary Member

Wii not Wii U

when your son older, you 2 pa ps4

Those wanna tongpang amazon, can PM
YouYongku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Xbox is a "dudebro" console, where people only play first person shooter or games that lets you shoot things with a gun. It lacks family friendly games.

Wii U is overall the most family friendly. Most of the exclusive games people of all ages can enjoy.

PS4 is somewhere in between.

If you don't mind region locking of the Nintendo console, it will suit you more. It is also the cheapest of the three though not by much. Keep in mind it is a dying platform as Nintendo will be releasing their next gen system soon early next year.
Paper_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Master Member

With a "budget about $300-$500 max with some games included", I am afraid none of the current gen consoles, first hand not used, are within range, especially if you want to play with your kids thus requiring extra controller.

The Wii U seems to have the most family games but I think that's just becos there's not that many games on the Wii to begin with, so the proportion of cute games seem extremely high. But looks can be deceiving, for half of Nintendo's own cute games are actually very hardcore platforming, like Mario and Yoshi. What's left is the party games, zelda games, pokemon games.

PS4 is a good balance, there are cute or family friendly games (much lower proportion though) and there's also the sports games with better graphics. Just that the budget needs to be higher (and note that there is a paid subscription to the network needed for online gaming, just like Xbox). Perhaps a PS3 with used games if you don't mind the graphics (which is still better than Wii U anyway) as no subscription is needed and many new games are still being made with PS3 ver also (though that is dying off, like FIFA 16 has PS3 but I think 17 no more).

Maybe consider the PC too? Just a decent laptop with HDMI port to connect to big screen tv and a couple of cheapo controllers (perhaps xbox 360 'compatible' wireless). There are many sites selling PC game bundles, you can get a handful of games for a couple of bucks usd. There are certainly going to be some good and cheap family games every now and then that are not demanding on the hardware specs. There are lots of good point-and-click adventure games and hidden object games that are entertaining if you like those (more of logic thinking, puzzle solving instead of action). Though the better graphics sports games may not run well on a low price laptop.

If we remove budget from the equation, IMHO certainly go for the PS4.
SiaoAngMoh likes this.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.