HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NieR: Automata

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #46

so its 20 hours for ending C? or 20 hours for all 3 endings?
The game producer did say it take around 25 hours or so to clear the game. So I assume its for all the endings combined.
WhiteHunter likes this.
Old 23-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #47

Damn ex sia, $80 for a 7 hr game (single playthrough).
PC version should be cheaper.
Old 23-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #48

this is nier. non-nier fans prob. not gonna like it.

previous nier, need to complete a couple of times to get 'true' end. thats yoko taro.

7hrs is 1 playthrough, without doing much side quest, then u gotta play a couple more times like previous nier, to get the 'true' end. (iirc, previous nier NG+, u realise suddenly can understand enemy language) JP review says around 30hrs for full ending.

the side quests is VERY 'nier'. (spoiler free) 1 choice i make suppose 'kill' the quest giver. the 2nd time i'm given the same situation, i freaking think about what should i answer, scare the result will kill the npc again. f*ck yoko taro.

good say good, bad say bad.
graphic, honestly as a fan, i can only say barely 'average' looking. (looking at horizon... )

i disagree on comparing it to $20 indie game. the story, music, battle, effort (yoko taro knows they suck in action game, so they approach Platinum games) already worth full game price. but again, ppl who don't "research" on yoko taro's game won't understand (i'm not blaming); Vanquish is f*ucking short, but i enjoyed every minute of it.

its tiring to point out what ppl hates (some), its actually the director's style of game. like "bullet hell", or "side scrolling". (drakengard's last boss is fought as a freaking rhythm game)

Last edited by dio brando; 23-02-2017 at 09:31 PM..
dio brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #49
Master Member

I've played the previous Nier on ps3 and liked it a lot, even did the long post-game grinding to get the plat (stupid fishing RNG). But now I can't remember a thing about it (bullet hell, multiple playthrus for true ending... don't ring a bell). Maybe cos my game preferences have changed, but I think mainly becos there are too many indie games with such elements: bullet hell, checked; 2.5D side-scrolling action, checked; corridor, enter room, room locks, clear all enemies, exit opens, corridor, rinse and repeat, checked; big boss fights, checked (there are many indies that are basically boss fights only). So instead of reminding me of the Nier that I liked, Automata reminds me more like a rojak of indie games. (Apparently over half of Automata is such 2.5D, corridor-room-clear game play. And it added a lot of the now very popular Dark Souls elements.)

Maybe my memory is mixing up other games (played too many liao) but I recall Nier as big green fields with lots of grass, you grow vegetables and farm, there are fantasy game towns and folks giving mission, with real traditional RPG elements. I thot it was more colorful and looked beautiful, not this dull, washed out black & white world with sub-par graphics. Most importantly, I remember actually caring about Nier and his companions and wanted to find out more. Can't say the same about 2B and the other characters here. Anyway, KIV till deep sale.
DrBaldwin likes this.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #50

no trying to sound rude or aggresive, alrdy replied u its not close door > fight > open door; its not dull, its open world with grass field and towns for quest/trading like nier, yet u still use demo standard to look at automata. (already play for more then 10hrs since last night)

nier is bullet hell and 2.5d (and its not half of the game is 2.5d, again u're using demo as everything). the director likes it. u forget, no issue. i respect it. just wanna say the demo is not the full game.

P.S. just wanna let u know i respect u alot, becos of your post in PS4. i find it very useful/helpful. i sincerely apologize if i cause unhappiness.

Last edited by dio brando; 23-02-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 23-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

Think I shall wait for preowned copy.
Old 24-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #52
Master Member

Sorry I did not make myself clear. My demo impression that I posted much earlier was of cos the demo, but my impression posted yesterday was after watching some 4 hrs of streaming of the full game from 2 sites. I quickly skimmed those videos again and you are right, there wasn't much of the enter room, clear enemies, exit (ala the good old double dragon) style of game play. However there are actually a lot of 2.5D, even in exploration, from the beginning of the game, the demo area to the sort of tree house area.

There is green grass fields in the game, with pond you can fish and small waterfall, but these areas are among buildings, roads, rusty cars and more damaged buildings. It's not the same feeling you get when you see 'nature' in the open. Instead there are just as many areas filled with sand, looking like desert. I am not expecting a colorful, vibrant, lively post-apocalypse world like The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, or even Destiny (the locales actually reminded me a lot of Destiny and Darksiders), but here even the amusement park looks dull.

And talking about dull, the whole game looks monochrome or sepia. It's color palette consists of mostly just grey (apart from the aforementioned green used for grass), making Gears of War look like a kaleidoscope. Even the menus are just plain dirty greenish-yellow. The whole world, everything you see, is draped in a layer of mist. Maybe there is a story explanation for it, the game's in Japanese and the commentators didn't mention it, so I don't know. But the net of it is that every location looks extremely dull. I looked back at some video of Drag-on Dragoon 3 (or Drakengard 3) and even that looks a lot more colorful. I know, it's the art direction they are going for, but it's very boring art direction. I know, it's the director's 'thing', it's his 'vision', he's going for the depressing look. Well, he has outdone himself this time and succeeded in getting to me.

As for the boss fights (saw the one at the amusement park, what looks like opera singer with big skirt that appeared in many trailers, as well as some smaller bosses like the tank and the naked guy), while the boss design is interesting, the actual mechanics feels been there, done better, in little indie games like Furi (complete with bullet hell) or Titan Soul.

PS. No offense meant nor taken, we are just expressing our own opinions. Mine's perhaps less accurate since it's not first hand but it's just how the game feels to me. I watched the full game streaming, after being disappointed by the demo, cos I wanted to see if there is something beyond the demo that can spark my interest and bring back the good old ps3 Nier memories. Sadly as it is I won't be picking this up any time soon.

Last edited by PierceLee; 24-02-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Old 24-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #53
Master Member

Tried hard mode at the start.......

Kena owned left right up down..... Think I switch back to normal mode get used to stuff first....
Old 24-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #54

Tried hard mode at the start.......

Kena owned left right up down..... Think I switch back to normal mode get used to stuff first....
For me, I will start by pressing and holding L3 and R3 to self-destruct, consume some health potions, then continue. If I have to be staring at her back, might as well make it easy on my eyes.
DrBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #55
Master Member

Review is very positive:

Also,

NieR: Automata Lets You Buy Trophies Using In-Game Money
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...in-game-money/

those who finish the third playthrough of Nier: Automata will unlock a secret shop where they’ll be able to purchase the game’s array of Trophies in exchange for in-game currency, a feature that’s never been seen in a PlayStation game before.

To be clear, the Trophies cannot be purchased using real money and the feature is more a way to reward players who have put in the time and effort to play through the game multiple times. Much like the original, Nier: Automata requires you to play through it multiple times to unveil its entire story.

While the screenshot posted by yokatei only shows a small number of the trophies available for purchase, they don’t look incredibly expensive. Especially when the speed and ease of collecting in-game currency is considered.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #56

Thats... new lol
qwertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #57

Hi all, should I wait for the standard edition or just buy the Japanese/English version?

What are the differents?

Thanks all in advance.
sumkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #58

Hi all, should I wait for the standard edition or just buy the Japanese/English version?

What are the differents?

Thanks all in advance.
What you meant by standard edition? Japanese/English is standard edition. Its basically R3 region. If by standard you mean R1 version, then there is no difference at all, other than it being R1 instead of R3. Since R3 version comes with English voice as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #59
Supremacy Member

any way to travel from one town to the other? the map is too big....
kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #60

any way to travel from one town to the other? the map is too big....
the vending machine where u save/receive mails can fast travel (need to progress story).

the map not big
can put running speed chip run even faster then animal
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.