Playstation ID change questions

veltix

Reaction score
Hi guys with the new PlayStation update to allow you change your player ID once for free. Any loss of save game data on Ps4. Digitally paid download full game dlc included, any game loss and dlc content loss. Any free downloadable game loss you had?

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
My educated guess is that the PSN ID is just a "display ID". Internally Sony stores your account ID as a 16-char alphanumeric code. You can see this code by copying any save file to USB and viewing the contents on PC, you will see a folder with this code. So that's why you can change a "display ID" and you can revert it back. And I will assume that Sony's Playstation store will use the internal 16-char code, thus you shouldn't lose anything (full game, DLC etc) purchased from there.

However whether it works on individual games depends on how they are coded. If a game is coded to store your 16-char code as identifier, then it should work and it should be able to pick up your current display ID. If a game is not coded well and stores your display ID as identifier in the save file, then it may not be able to match up with your changed ID, so you lose save file. Or if a game has microtransactions, even though you bought the microtransaction DLC from Sony, the game may record your virtual currency purchase under the old display ID, so you may also lose paid-for DLCs (not Sony's fault but how the game is not able to recognise correctly).

Sony said games after April 1st 2018 will work. There's also a list of tested games: https://www.playstation.com/onlineid/games

Sony's FAQ: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/10/online-id-change-on-psn-your-questions-answered/

Q: What kind of issues could I potentially run into?
Below are some of the issues you may encounter. We expect major issues to occur only in a small number of games.

- Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
- You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
- Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
- You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.

PS. These are my guess only. I have not tested it or Google and read up on it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.