PlayStation VR (USD$399 MSRP, available Oct 2016)

Paper_Dragon

Reaction score
Comparing Samsung Gear VR to PSVR, HTC Vive etc. is a bit of a stretch I agree. However, in my opinion Oculus Rift and HTC Vive's pricing is even more ridiculous. PSVR is just less so but still ridiculous nonetheless.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Exactly, bottomline is that the price of admission to VR is very high, unless you want to play with the 'toys' type of VR. If you want to experience something more 'real', the PSVR is still expensive but lower than others, and probably offers more games (actual games instead of short mini-game collection, indie games, minimalist graphics, or tech demos).

The question is whether this is a good time to go in, considering that the price is high. Also consider that the tech, while it is more mature and is ready-for-market, is still new. Think about all those wires sticking out (you practically need to have someone standing next to you to help manage the wires), or what earphone/headsets (possibly more wires) to use (should they be integrated?). Surely some time down the road someone is going to come up with a new HDMI 4.0 interface or something that puts everything in one cable. Or everything goes wireless with a dual-wireless HDMI interface setting or such. There's still a long way to go. There's always a (high) price to pay for being early adopter, if you choose to be one.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are playing a VR game that does not have Move support (like RE7, only uses only the DS4 controller), do you still need to have the camera and Move?

DrBaldwin

Reaction score
Just tried the PSVR demo booth at 313 Sony Centre. The headset is very comfortable to wear, not heavy. there is a need to adjust the angle of the visor to sharpen the visuals, but once that is done, you are good to go.

I was given the underwater shark demo and battlezone. Maybe because I already know what to expect, so the scare factor wasnt there, but the visuals are still good. No visible screendoor effect. Battlezone was fun. The turning and shooting is basically arcade tank shooter POV, switch between machine guns and rockets. Towards the end, there is swarm of flying drones, so have to wait a while for the EMP weapon to charge. Simple and yet sharp visuals that work very well.

My wife went with me, she also said it was good and very immersive. Good to let the spouse try, hehe.

Last edited:

ckleow79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just tried the PSVR demo booth at 313 Sony Centre. The headset is very comfortable to wear, not heavy. there is a need to adjust the angle of the visor to sharpen the visuals, but once that is done, you are good to go.

I was given the underwater shark demo and battlezone. Maybe because I already know what to expect, so the scare factor wasnt there, but the visuals are still good. No visible screendoor effect. Battlezone was fun. The turning and shooting is basically arcade tank shooter POV, switch between machine guns and rockets. Towards the end, there is swarm of flying drones, so have to wait a while for the EMP weapon to charge. Simple and yet sharp visuals that work very well.

My wife went with me, she also said it was good and very immersive. Good to let the spouse try, hehe.

Yep. I tried it last year during gamestart.asia and i was sold....
I advise peeps that are on the fence to go try it out.

ckleow79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Purchased this PS camera mount from taobao
S$8 (not including shipping)
TB2RmOghFXXXXXYXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!670606960.jpg

https://world.taobao.com/item/524587201455.htm?spm=a312a.7700820.0.0.2AHR5W

DrBaldwin

Reaction score
The PS4 camera already comes with a camera mount, in fact looks exactly like the one in your pic. Why need to buy another?

ckleow79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The PS4 camera already comes with a camera mount, in fact looks exactly like the one in your pic. Why need to buy another?

thanks for informing....
I thought it does not come with mount. :s22:
googled for the unboxing, it really does have the same one.
i go cancel order now. :)

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sony really wan to suck all the money.

VR cost the same or even more expensive than the console. WTF. Even samsung VR sells cheaper...

added accessories will just push even much higher$$$$$$$$
c'mon lah....comparing PSVR to Gear VR pricing is so stupid.....there are totally different in terms of graphic fidelity and the games..

HTC Vive = Nascar Race Car

Occulus Rift = Ferrari

Playstation VR = Honda Civics

Gear VR = Proton Scooter/China-branded Segway

Google Cardboard = BMX

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Comparing Samsung Gear VR to PSVR, HTC Vive etc. is a bit of a stretch I agree. However, in my opinion Oculus Rift and HTC Vive's pricing is even more ridiculous. PSVR is just less so but still ridiculous nonetheless.
i am not trying to be Sony apologist but you need to be objective and think in terms of how 'new' VR is now....especially in terms of market penetration..and all new tech are expensive...specifically the lens inside the headset (PSVR uses 2x 1080p Full RGB OLED screen if i'm not wrong while Vive/Rift uses higher than PSVR res screens but with sub-arranged Pentile display).......economy of scale dictates that the pricing of the parts will drop when there's a huge order. But since VR is still new tech, adoption is still small and as such, manufacturing of the lens are still in limited quantities, thus pricing are more expensive. This is similar to the 90s when we first have 3D graphic cards and DDR Ram costing an arm and a leg. Nowadays, DDR5 are commodities while you can pick & choose graphic cards of all price ranges. If VR becomes successful, it will eventually become cheaper. That's almost an absolute certainty.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are playing a VR game that does not have Move support (like RE7, only uses only the DS4 controller), do you still need to have the camera and Move?
Camera is needed regardless as it's needed for the tracking of the motion of your headset...

The dualshock4 is already considered a 'move' controller due to the lightbar in front.

That said, certain games like London heist will be played better with Move due to how you hold the controllers.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bro...you gotta get PS VR Worlds, there's a game in it called 'London Heist'. That's the game that sold me on PSVR when i tried it last year in PSX2015. Really immersive.

I've already preordered the PSVR+Camera bundle for $649. Bought 2x preowned Move controllers from someone at dirt cheap $50 :D

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep. I tried it last year during gamestart.asia and i was sold....
I advise peeps that are on the fence to go try it out.
bro, what games have you tried so far?

VR Games i've tried:

PS VR Worlds: London Heist (Car Chase & Shootout demo) - The game that sold me

PS VR Worlds: Into the Deep (Underwater shark demo) - Cool to show it to parents/people that don't play games what VR is

Battlezone - I like the control and the graphic is stylized enough to be like Tron. Will buy.

RIGS: Mechanized Combat League - The other game that sold me. 3v3 Mech shooting/Sport games...i think i will have hours of fun with this.

EVE: Gunjack - This is the only BAD VR demo..plays like a mobile VR title and lo' and behold, after some research, found out that it is a port of the Gear VR game.

EVE: Valkyrie - VR Space Sim. I can imagine this will be one of the more popular game on PSVR when launch as PvP dogfighting games are popular. Not my kinda thing but fun nonetheless, if not abit shallow.

Headmaster - VR 'soccer' game that rely on your 'head'. It is weird and fun but i think this is only good in short burst.

The Playroom VR - This is really a good 'party' VR to play! Had fun with the Playstation Rep there playing this. It's gonna be free to so can't really complain much.

-------------

VR Games i haven't try but will be on my radar:

Bound
Eagle Flight
Harmonix Music VR
Job Simulator
Rez Infinite
Robinson: The Journey
Star Wars Battlefront VR
Batman: Arkham VR
Superhypercube
Super Stardust Ultra VR: Never played the VR version but i did have the PS3 version being played on my 3Dtv and the 3D effects and explosion is one of the best 3D i've ever seen..
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Ace Combat 7
Farpoint
Tumble VR

and of course..........Resident Evil 7 :evil:

Last edited:

DrBaldwin

Reaction score
I will get the following for PSVR:

1. Ace Combat 7
2. Farpoint (must get with the VR aim controller)

I am actually more excited to play my non-VR games via cinematic mode. I am happy with the visual quality from today's demo, and did not notice any screen-door effect. I don't have a big tv, so being able to play on a virtual 100+ inch screen is a big plus for me.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will get the following for PSVR:

1. Ace Combat 7
2. Farpoint (must get with the VR aim controller)

I am actually more excited to play my non-VR games via cinematic mode. I am happy with the visual quality from today's demo, and did not notice any screen-door effect. I don't have a big tv, so being able to play on a virtual 100+ inch screen is a big plus for me.
i haven't tried that yet although i was in the headset when the rep change games by going back to the PS4 menu UI so i can gauge how that's like. I think the VR screen maybe too 'close' to me...hopefully the 'distance' of the 'VR screen' can be adjusted to be further....because it's like i am sitting in the front row at the cinema...LOL

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
English screenshot:
2_psvr5.jpg

Ways to enjoy other than VR games
Enjoy movies and games on a big screen in a virtual space!

“Cinematic mode” allows users to enjoy PS4® games, videos and other contents on a big screen created in a virtual space! A big screen up to 226 inch distant from 2.5m appears. (There are individual differences when watching)

https://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psvr/hw/hw

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
English screenshot:
2_psvr5.jpg

Ways to enjoy other than VR games
Enjoy movies and games on a big screen in a virtual space!

“Cinematic mode” allows users to enjoy PS4® games, videos and other contents on a big screen created in a virtual space! A big screen up to 226 inch distant from 2.5m appears. (There are individual differences when watching)

https://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psvr/hw/hw
finally..........my dream of watching prawn in a 100inch screen will be fulfilled.....'virtually' :D

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
finally..........my dream of watching prawn in a 100inch screen will be fulfilled.....'virtually' :D
Just remember to lock your door, otherwise when you finish 'business' and take off the VR headset you may find your whole family standing around in disgust and shame :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.