PS4 Internet Speed Issue

BloodyH

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm subscribed to 1Gbps Fibre Plan under Singtel. I realized there would be unstable connection test as I keep on testing it off and on straight via the PS4 connection test.

It would go from 10mbps (or below) to 50mbps for the first couple tries and out of nowhere it would be 400mbps. After that, it would be back to 10-50mbps again.

Do take note that I'm using a CAT6 Ethernet cable that's connected from my router to PS4.

Is anyone facing the same issue?
Any ways to fix it?

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm subscribed to 1Gbps Fibre Plan under Singtel. I realized there would be unstable connection test as I keep on testing it off and on straight via the PS4 connection test.

It would go from 10mbps (or below) to 50mbps for the first couple tries and out of nowhere it would be 400mbps. After that, it would be back to 10-50mbps again.

Do take note that I'm using a CAT6 Ethernet cable that's connected from my router to PS4.

Any ways to fix it?

i believe the modem or router is not good enough. Im using asus RTAC87U and router in the living room where my ps4 is in the lego room, im using wifi and still very stable, no lag for playing mp online..

yaqin123

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Any ways to fix it?

same issue here. most probably is the router.
too many devices connecting to one router. too stressful for the cpu of router. thus deteriorating in performance.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
There are 2 scenarios you should be interested in: (a) when playing online games, (b) when downloading games/DLCs/patches. Generally, don't worry so much about the "Test Internet Connection" results.

For (a), so long as you play mp and not experiencing lag, dont care about the test numbers. Tests like that just attempts to connect to some fixed server at unknown locations, it also depends on the response time of those test servers. Not very meaningful as they will not be the same game servers you are connecting to when playing anyway. Furthermore, any lag you may experience occasionally may be caused by another player in your game world rather than slow down due to your own internet connection. So long as your games run fine most of the time, no worries. If you game lags all the time, then start asking around, googling, see whether it's a problem with that game's servers or design (some games use peer-to-peer connection, which is very dependent on other players' internet connection).

For (b), the test numbers won't tell you much either, cos downloading of big files are done in the background. The PS4 obviously gives such background tasks lower priority. It will run faster when the PS4 is in rest mode. You will just have to leave it overnight and let it do the download. Unless this takes way too long, again no worries.

Generally people also find that by using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) gives better results as Google has lots of servers all over the world. (But DNS is just a IP address look up, not a proxy, it doesn't cache contents, so for big long downloads it wont make much difference, but for online gaming when you PS4 generates traffic to various addresses constantly, it can help.)

jason

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are 2 scenarios you should be interested in: (a) when playing online games, (b) when downloading games/DLCs/patches. Generally, don't worry so much about the "Test Internet Connection" results.

For (a), so long as you play mp and not experiencing lag, dont care about the test numbers. Tests like that just attempts to connect to some fixed server at unknown locations, it also depends on the response time of those test servers. Not very meaningful as they will not be the same game servers you are connecting to when playing anyway. Furthermore, any lag you may experience occasionally may be caused by another player in your game world rather than slow down due to your own internet connection. So long as your games run fine most of the time, no worries. If you game lags all the time, then start asking around, googling, see whether it's a problem with that game's servers or design (some games use peer-to-peer connection, which is very dependent on other players' internet connection).

For (b), the test numbers won't tell you much either, cos downloading of big files are done in the background. The PS4 obviously gives such background tasks lower priority. It will run faster when the PS4 is in rest mode. You will just have to leave it overnight and let it do the download. Unless this takes way too long, again no worries.

Generally people also find that by using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) gives better results as Google has lots of servers all over the world. (But DNS is just a IP address look up, not a proxy, it doesn't cache contents, so for big long downloads it wont make much difference, but for online gaming when you PS4 generates traffic to various addresses constantly, it can help.)

So what if install a proxy in the laptop and let the pS4 point to it.. Does it help to speed up the download/upload speed in ps4 ?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do take note that PS Asia is kind of slow so not only ISP fault.
The host server seems like in Hong Kong thus most
will face latency/slow issues.
Yes the server is not hosted locally if not there won't be any issue.

The only solution I found is just change the DNS to Google DNS.
PS should be able to tap on US side server than Asia
for better speed.

jason

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do take note that PS Asia is kind of slow so not only ISP fault.
The host server seems like in Hong Kong thus most
will face latency/slow issues.
Yes the server is not hosted locally if not there won't be any issue.

The only solution I found is just change the DNS to Google DNS.
PS should be able to tap on US side server than Asia
for better speed.

Last night i try to change the DNS to Google or OpenDNS on my 1GB SingTel Fibre line.

it is still the same 9MB upload/download.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you need to say what is your router model, if your router model has only 100mbps port than that is your bottle neck.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.