HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US PSN or Asia PSN?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Master Member

In terms of currency well you don't really have much to lose and lots of SG gamers would choose to have US PSN due to it's exchange rate and also you get to play them first before europe and asia does. However if you want to buy hard copies they might not be flexible to ship them to you (In Sg) and this is what really turns me off. This is true if you have an XB account in the US, and like forza lots it can be a turn off (they don't allow their 'homegrown' products to be dispatched outside of US) or if you don't mind you can get from Amazon JP (be prepared as their pricing is way outdated) or play-asia but it is not applicable if you prefer to buy from the digital store straight.
The region of the physical game disc doesn't have to match the region of the PSN account playing it though. Playstation games do not have region restriction (generally, except for a handful). Whether you buy game discs from Amazon US, Amazon JP, Amazon UK, Zavvi UK or local game shop doesn't matter really. Get from whichever region or source that is cheaper or accessible (ships to SG etc). Just be very careful with DLC compatibility (if it is a game you intend to buy DLCs, consider which region disc to buy).
PierceLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #17

To subscribe to US PS+, you first need to create a US PSN account (see here). Then you need to purchase the actual subscription. There are 2 ways to do that:

(a) Purchase the subscription from US PSN store and paying from your US PSN store wallet. You can top up your US PSN store wallet by purchasing US PSN prepaid card (digital code) from Amazon (here) or from PC Game Supply (here). Redeem the code on US PSN store which adds to your wallet balance, then use the balance to purchase the subscription.

(b) Purchase the subscription (digital code) from Amazon (here) or from PC Game Supply (here). Then redeem the code on US PSN store.

If you purchase from Amazon, you can still use the fake US billing address thing and pay with SG creadit card. If you purchase from PC Game Supply, you can pay with SG Paypal (you need to enter real SG mobile phone number when creating PC Game Supply account, since they send you SMS with verification code for your first transaction).

Method (a) is more flexible, since you can still change your mind after purchasing the PSN prepaid card (the redeemed wallet balance can still be used to buy other things instead of PS+ subscription).

Edit: btw, 12-months US PS+ price is going to increase from US$49.99 to US$59.99 starting Sep 22. So if want to buy better get soon. Those who already have PS+ subscription can also buy some more, it will just add onto your current subscription period, you don't have to wait until current subscription expires before you add.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have an US account currently. You mean we can't pay through paypal?

Since it's going to increase, might as well do a 2 years subscription in this case.
Shinobimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

if I cant see DLC for tales of berseria mean I need a hk/tw acc to dl??
Old 22-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Master Member

if I cant see DLC for tales of berseria mean I need a hk/tw acc to dl??
Correct. Currently there is only Japanese and Chinese versions of ToB, neither is sold on SG psn store, so there is no corresponding DLCs on SG psn store. The Chinese version is only sold on HK/TW psn stores, so you have to download from there, using HK/TW account (and if the DLCs are not free, you will have to buy the corresponding PSN prepaid card to fund the purchase). The Japanese version isn't even on HK/TW, you will have to go to JP psn store for DLCs. Blame Bandai Namco for discriminating against the rest of Asia, as if no one else outside HK/TW can read Chinese, so they don't want to sell to us. (btw, wrong thread leh)
Old 24-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

Correct. Currently there is only Japanese and Chinese versions of ToB, neither is sold on SG psn store, so there is no corresponding DLCs on SG psn store. The Chinese version is only sold on HK/TW psn stores, so you have to download from there, using HK/TW account (and if the DLCs are not free, you will have to buy the corresponding PSN prepaid card to fund the purchase). The Japanese version isn't even on HK/TW, you will have to go to JP psn store for DLCs. Blame Bandai Namco for discriminating against the rest of Asia, as if no one else outside HK/TW can read Chinese, so they don't want to sell to us. (btw, wrong thread leh)
oh well... LLST.

I cant blame them.
Kids nowadays can read Chinese meh? no market value. bring in does not mean can sell.
think read a paragraph from Chinese news can kill them let alone a Chinese game?

last time comic was translated to Chinese... now they mostly read English translation.
Old 28-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have all 4 regions of PSN (US, UK, Asia, JPN) but my main is US. That's where my PS+ is also active on (till 2018).
Old 06-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #22

I think that with the new US pricing US$59.99 (S$82) and if it's just to be able to play games online (like FIFA17) Asia PSN @ S$43 almost $40 cheaper.
Cyborg_T1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #23

can i check what is the benefit of subscribing to US PSN plus instead of SG one ?

I suppose you are subscribing to US PSN plus? I believe US PSN does not accept SG based credit cards, but you can purchase the US PSN Plus digital subscription via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/1-Year-PlaySt...words=psn+plus

I followed Pierce's guide on GAX when I wanted to top up my US account wallet:
http://forums.gameaxis.com/showpost....20&postcount=2

In your case, as with purchasing of digital US PSN Store credits, for the billing address, you have to set to a "phoney" US address before the transaction can go through. Hence the billing address will not match your credit card billing address, but it will still be accepted by Amazon. I use my VPost USA address and it works.

Hope this helps.
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

can i check what is the benefit of subscribing to US PSN plus instead of SG one ?
Better monthly free games to download and frequent flash sales.

Asia PSN is for people who just require the service to play online. Like me
Jurchen King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #25
Master Member

See post #7 in this thread.
Old 27-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #26
Master Member

u all know if DB Xenoverse 2 will be released on 25/10 (as shown in many game sites, even wiki) or as per SG PSN on 31/10?

asking becoz planning to PO from SG PSN..

image attached here below, got it from SG PSN
This was brought up in 2 other threads but I feel it's more appropriate here.

A short answer will be: Asia PSN sucks, plain and simple. To be more accurate, Sony Japan-Asia sucks. Asia is under Japan organisationally so the focus is not there.

They sux in so many ways but I think the biggest issue is that Sony Asia doesn't seem to care about their customers or look after the interest of their customers. It's like they open a shop but don't bother whether publishers come and sell their games. They don't care if many publishers (especially most of the indie developers) don't know how to sell their games on Asia store (or don't know about the languages, for all we know these indies may think that we only sell Japanese or Chinese games). They don't care if a publisher only sells certain language versions on certain Asia stores (like Chinese only on HK/TW, and no English on HK/TW). They don't care if a publisher sells certain games a week late (like Xenoverse 2) or a month late or never (like Hitman) on Asia store. They don't bother to approach the publishers, to woo the publishers, to help the publishers get their products onto the Asia stores, on time, for the Asia customers.

We can blame the publishers all we want, but bottomline Sony Asia cannot escape the responsibility. (Just for comparison, if Gamestop is selling a game but Amazon doesn't get their stock until one week later, you think Amazon is just going to sit on their ass and do nothing?)

Now let's get to this specific case of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Yes, the publisher Bandai Namco decided to sell in Asia 1 week later. Bandai Namco is probably the worst offender with their stupid marketing tactic in Asia. The good thing is they localise a lot of Japanese games into Chinese, often releasing the Chinese version on the same day, much earlier than the English version (if any). The bad thing is that they only sell Chinese version on HK and TW stores, not on South East Asia country stores. And at the same time, for those titles they only sell the English version on South East Asia stores, not on HK/TW. (This got more ridiculous recently when HK/TW didn't get the English version of Rise of Tomb Raider, which is an English game to begin with!)

Again, back to Xenoverse 2. My guess is that Bandai Namco has a big title released this week in Asia: Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Japanese and Chinese ver both released today). They might have intentionally moved Xenoverse 2 back to next week so as to not clash with their own product. Of cos this makes even less sense to us in SG, since we are not getting SAO at all (since we don't get CH ver)! If Sony cared, they should have talked to the publishers on our behalf (ok this case maybe not much Sony can do to convince Bandai since Bandai decided, but Square Enix's episodic Hitman is still not on Asia store since March? no excuse.)
Old 27-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

A short answer will be: Asia PSN sucks, plain and simple. To be more accurate, Sony Japan-Asia sucks. Asia is under Japan organisationally so the focus is not there.

They sux in so many ways but I think the biggest issue is that Sony Asia doesn't seem to care about their customers or look after the interest of their customers. It's like they open a shop but don't bother whether publishers come and sell their games. They don't care if many publishers (especially most of the indie developers) don't know how to sell their games on Asia store (or don't know about the languages, for all we know these indies may think that we only sell Japanese or Chinese games). They don't care if a publisher only sells certain language versions on certain Asia stores (like Chinese only on HK/TW, and no English on HK/TW). They don't care if a publisher sells certain games a week late (like Xenoverse 2) or a month late or never (like Hitman) on Asia store. They don't bother to approach the publishers, to woo the publishers, to help the publishers get their products onto the Asia stores, on time, for the Asia customers.

We can blame the publishers all we want, but bottomline Sony Asia cannot escape the responsibility. (Just for comparison, if Gamestop is selling a game but Amazon doesn't get their stock until one week later, you think Amazon is just going to sit on their ass and do nothing?)

Now let's get to this specific case of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Yes, the publisher Bandai Namco decided to sell in Asia 1 week later. Bandai Namco is probably the worst offender with their stupid marketing tactic in Asia. The good thing is they localise a lot of Japanese games into Chinese, often releasing the Chinese version on the same day, much earlier than the English version (if any). The bad thing is that they only sell Chinese version on HK and TW stores, not on South East Asia country stores. And at the same time, for those titles they only sell the English version on South East Asia stores, not on HK/TW. (This got more ridiculous recently when HK/TW didn't get the English version of Rise of Tomb Raider, which is an English game to begin with!)

Again, back to Xenoverse 2. My guess is that Bandai Namco has a big title released this week in Asia: Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Japanese and Chinese ver both released today). They might have intentionally moved Xenoverse 2 back to next week so as to not clash with their own product. Of cos this makes even less sense to us in SG, since we are not getting SAO at all (since we don't get CH ver)! If Sony cared, they should have talked to the publishers on our behalf (ok this case maybe not much Sony can do to convince Bandai since Bandai decided, but Square Enix's episodic Hitman is still not on Asia store since March? no excuse.)
i think it's very simple...

Asia PSN has no (or very few):

PSN Flash sales or PS+ additional discount sales
Alot of apps missing
Alot of demos missing
Alot of digital games are released late
No preload for preorder

just seems much more 'dead' when compared to US PSN when it's update every week with a new batch of sales...
Old 28-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #28

PierceLee thks for the very very detailed explanation!
clock_ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #29
Master Member

will they auto renew my subscription next year? disappointed that they dont have overcooked in asia store, now stuck with 1 year sub until july.

will jump to us account tonight and maybe just pay straight for the psn
Battlenet ID: Klavier#6493

30% patiently until 2020
KlavierX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #30
Master Member

will they auto renew my subscription next year? disappointed that they dont have overcooked in asia store, now stuck with 1 year sub until july.

will jump to us account tonight and maybe just pay straight for the psn
From the PS4 manual:
To cancel automatic renewal of your PlayStation®Plus subscription, select the service under (Settings) > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Services List], and then select [Turn Off Auto-Renew].
You do NOT need to subscribe to US PS Plus in order to buy something (like overcooked) from US PSN store. All you need is a US PSN account. (You cannot pay directly as they do not accept SG credit card or SG paypal account. You have to purchase US PSN prepaid card. See Game Deal thread first 2 posts for details.)

If you already have PS+ subscription in your Asia PSN account, you do not need to subscribe again on another account if you just want to play online. The PS+ benefit of online multiplayer gaming is extended to other PSN accounts (Asia, US, any region) that's on the same PS4 (assuming you only have 1 PS4 and it's activated as primary PS4 for the account that has PS+ subscription).

If you purchase a game from US PSN store (using US PSN account), you do not need to use the same US PSN account to play it. You can use other accounts on the same PS4 to play (again assuming you only have 1 PS4 and it's activated as primary PS4 for the account that bought the game).
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.