HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wise to get a PS3 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Wise to get a PS3 ??

Hi all gamers ,

I am considering getting a used PS3 Fat , not sure if it's advisable to do so since the console had been launched quite some time back.

I am not looking at Long hours gaming , maybe just switching on the console for some game to relax myself.

Sceptical though as he assured me that the console is in working condition.

Need your advise and thanks in advance !
STiTUNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Master Member

Do NOT buy a PS3 Fat!

There are very very few sets that are still actually working now. Even if someone says it's working and powers it on to show you that it's working, it may just work for an short time and just drop dead any moment. Very very high chance of that happening. Not worth the risk.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

If you really must get, get the superslim version.
DrBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

He now say no prob, so old production unit, once u bring home along the way car/bus/mrt shake abit the thing probably gone case
qwertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #5

Just get a supe slim instead even slim also have yold
hermandeng1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Can YLOD be repaired ?
Old 25-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

I have a ps3 Fat. It kena YLOD. I had it repaired. less than 6 months later, YLOD again.

Do Not Buy PS3 Fat or even Slim. If you must, get the Super Slim.
Old 25-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

I have a ps3 Fat. It kena YLOD. I had it repaired. less than 6 months later, YLOD again.

Do Not Buy PS3 Fat or even Slim. If you must, get the Super Slim.
Wahhh how much did you repaired for ?

Btw will changing the HDD solve ?
Old 25-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

My fat died and i bought a used ps3 slim, so far so good but now i put it on top of my tv console (last time phat i leave it inside) with my lego pieces as stand for better airflow haha...
lifeishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
Master Member

Don't even think about it lah, don't be tempted. YLOD no fix one, Sony only replaces the whole motherboard, but of cos they stopped doing repairs long long time ago. Other third party can try fixing using reflow of solder and such (iirc ppl were paying $150 or above for such service) but still no guarantee, sure die again after a few months. And it doesn't matter how often you use it, you keep in storage never on it also can fail again. Changing HDD makes absolutely no difference, not even theoretically. Seriously, let it go, not worth considering. At least go for a slim. (My main PS3 is a slim, still using frequently today, never encounter hardware problem.)
Old 28-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies

I just got a used PS3 slim . Model number is 3006.

Not sure how to power off correctly since there's no power button
Old 28-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #12

$50 at games extreme.

Hdd change has no effect.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

Hi all gamers ,

I am considering getting a used PS3 Fat , not sure if it's advisable to do so since the console had been launched quite some time back.

I am not looking at Long hours gaming , maybe just switching on the console for some game to relax myself.

Sceptical though as he assured me that the console is in working condition.

Need your advise and thanks in advance !
I dont think the fat and slim prices would differ too much. I rather pay a few bucks more to get something that is better. just my 2 cents
frostii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
Master Member

Not sure how to power off correctly since there's no power button
The PS3 slim has a round power button in front of the disc slot, it's a soft touch switch. However for PS3/PS4 we generally don't use the power button to on/off.

To turn on, press the PS button on the controller (press and release once). Of cos you need to turn on the wall socket/power extension mains power first.

To turn off, either: (a) press and hold the PS button on the controller, wait for a menu to pop up, select from there, (b) on the PS3's system menu (called XMB, Xross media bar), scroll to the left most (which is where you select the user), then scroll up on that column to the top (instead of a user, the top item is to power off). After that you can turn off the wall socket power if you want.

Download the manual for more details: https://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/s.../sysmanual/ps3 (should be this)
Old 30-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #15

The PS3 slim has a round power button in front of the disc slot, it's a soft touch switch. However for PS3/PS4 we generally don't use the power button to on/off.

To turn on, press the PS button on the controller (press and release once). Of cos you need to turn on the wall socket/power extension mains power first.

To turn off, either: (a) press and hold the PS button on the controller, wait for a menu to pop up, select from there, (b) on the PS3's system menu (called XMB, Xross media bar), scroll to the left most (which is where you select the user), then scroll up on that column to the top (instead of a user, the top item is to power off). After that you can turn off the wall socket power if you want.

Download the manual for more details: https://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/s.../sysmanual/ps3 (should be this)
Thanks for the tips. Will it hurts the system if I press the power button in front of the disk slot to power on & off?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.