MSI 390x hitting 90 degrees

AssMax

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently bought a 390x and am running it stock at 1100 core and 1525 mem.

reaching around 88 degrees in unigine valley benchmark. just wondering if these are normal temps.

am using phanteks enthoo luxe casing with 2 front intakes 2 top intakes for my AIO and 1 rear exhausts. running in room temp without air con around 34 degrees.

i am also using custom fan profile without zero frozr mode.

Reaction score
sigh, another case of an msi video card overheating... this seems to be a common problem with msi graphic cards. just look at this thread. u are not the first in singapore to experience this issue...

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iirc, the various threads on 390x here show 88 deg is quite normal under load at max fan. yr ambient temp is also quite high. try testing at night and temps should come down a bit. don't think is your fan setup as it looks ok. there are folks on Tomshardware getting 90.

Jian19

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
390x is just like 290x

meaning its normal :s22:

AssMax

Reaction score
another problem i have is every time i power on the pc my resolution goes to 1024x768 before going back to 1920x1080. my desktop icons get scrambled, not sure what could be the cause for this. never had issues before changing the gpu.

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi there,

As per what some members mentioned, 390/X does have a much higher load temperature as compared to other cards.
Not to mentioned, our local case ambient temperature is higher too.
In most cases, it is considered normal.

Try out on your games first.
Any issues occurring so far?
ie, bsod, game hangs, intensive throttling etc?
Then apart from unigine, you can use furmark extreme burn settings to test
unrealistic max load conditions too.
Monitor from there and see how it goes.

Any issues, free free to update us. :)

Last edited:

Jian19

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another problem i have is every time i power on the pc my resolution goes to 1024x768 before going back to 1920x1080. my desktop icons get scrambled, not sure what could be the cause for this. never had issues before changing the gpu.

Could be ur drivers issue

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score

Try on another output of the card or
boot test on your old card again.
Try do a clean install of the new drivers.
Might have to google around for more info in this.
If you suspect it might be the card,
feel free to bring the card down for a check. :)

AssMax

Reaction score
the resolution issue only happens when i power on the pc in the morning, reboots are fine.
unfortunately i dont have my old card anymore.

i did a clean install last night but still happened this morning.

using the latest 15.9.1

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, do you have another PC at home to test the card on?
(Or vice versa, a monitor)

straweffigy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sigh, another case of an msi video card overheating... this seems to be a common problem with msi graphic cards. just look at this thread. u are not the first in singapore to experience this issue...

Maybe just ATI cards.. not confined to just MSI ones. My MSI green camp card temp max only 65.

AssMax

Reaction score
Don't have another system. but will installing the monitor drivers make any difference? using displayport connection

AssMax

Reaction score
my temps max out at 92 degrees when playing far cry 4 at ultra. no crash or lag though

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
I doubt so but it's worth a try.
Any other outputs to test on?
ie, hdmi, dvi
Just monitor the temps over the weekend and see if there's any issues too.
Anything, feel free to drop me a PM. :)
(If you have a pic of the insides of the rig would be good too)

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You are just probably thinking that Msi r9 390x is a cool card. Despite even if there is a beast cooler, it is still a hot card. It's because of Hawaii or Grenada based architecture. Nothing to do with Msi or any other relevant Brand.

Furthermore power tune which is amd version of boosting technology, the cooler it is, the higher the performance. Till it reached 94deg operating temps. Unless water cooled.

PholkLorr

Reaction score
390x = 290x, which is a notoriously hot card. Use MSI Afterburner to set fan profile and up your fan speed if you don't like the heat (which is perfectly normal for this card).

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
390x = 290x, which is a notoriously hot card. Use MSI Afterburner to set fan profile and up your fan speed if you don't like the heat (which is perfectly normal for this card).

He already max out fan speed. I can only imagine the noise.

AssMax

Reaction score
I doubt so but it's worth a try.
Any other outputs to test on?
ie, hdmi, dvi
Just monitor the temps over the weekend and see if there's any issues too.
Anything, feel free to drop me a PM. :)
(If you have a pic of the insides of the rig would be good too)

will try different outputs and monitor temps over the weekend

pic of interior in the mean time
IMG-20151003-WA0007_zpsm2pbndgh.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.