HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MSI r9 390 gaming 8gb hitting max temp 94C

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #1

MSI r9 390 gaming 8gb hitting max temp 94C

Hi, my msi r9 390 a few weeks back. Been happy with its performance so far but the temps i got is the worrying part. Pass few weeks i've been doing a lot of changes to my 4yr old rig from replacing the 80mm fans to 120mm, purchasing new psu and finally decided to get new case. Perhaps this is why it took me a while to finally decided to sign up to this official thread to seek similar users' advice.

My Rig (current)
Case - Corsair Carbide 200r
proc - i5 2500k @4.2 ghz with Coolermaster v8 hsf
motherboard - Asus p8p97 deluxe
gfx - Msi r9 390 gaming 8G (stock)
psu - superflower leadex gold 650w 80+ gold
hdd - 2 x 650gb WD black 1x 50gb seagate (old hdd)
rams - 2x 4gb 1066 ddr3 corsair vengeance
opticle drive - 1x dvd/rw

fans
- 2x corsair SP120 performance endition (front intake)
- 1x corsair AF120 performance edition (side panel intake)
- 1x corsiar 120mm stock case fan (bottom intake)
- 1x corsair 120mm stock case fan (top intake)
- 1x corsair AF120 performance edition (exhaust)
* please see attached pic for case layout ( and yes i know my rig now sounds like a turbine)

Ambient temp at 28 to 31C (Singaore). My card idle around 40-45C. But on gaming or furmark it will reach max 94C after which the core speed will start throttling down to a range of 990-1030mhz. (1040mhz stock). now I've tried alot of combination for my fans, negative pressure and positive pressure and all will results in reaching max temp during load, difference is by how long it will reach to max temp. * I've also tweak the custom fan profile to run max fan speed at 80C

I've even tried bringing back the card to corbell for rma but when they test in the center, the card hovers around 80-84C in open test bench running furmark (Aircon center). Which they mentioned is normal hence unable to have the card change. **This is before i had change the case fans to 120mm and change the entire case to corsair 200r case.

Now that i've tried every combination to bring down the temp but fail I'm resorting to seeking advice from Corbell itself... Is this normal temp to have for this card at a non aircon room with close case? Am I allowed to have replacement card?Appreciate any advice from you guys! Thanks in advance!
imrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, Storage Clinic

Hi imrunning,

Do you have a pic of the casing internals?
Try removing the side panel and test.
Based on your casing internal ambient @ 28~31,
I think the temps are normal.
If you can hold out till end of the week, we will have stock and
can test again on our side for you.

-Local MSI product arrival/price updates: Kabylake/Ryzen
-MSI TwinFrozr Club! Come join our very own SG club!
=My Cooling=
TRU12E Cu LE / Vapo LS Singlestage /
SF3D Inflection Pt CPU pot + Ryba slim GPU pot ver.2

Last edited by clon22; 14-09-2015 at 10:45 AM..
clon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Hi imrunning,

Do you have a pic of the casing internals?
Try removing the side panel and test.
Based on your casing internal ambient @ 28~31,
I think the temps are normal.
If you can hold out till end of the week, we will have stock and
can test again on our side for you.
I've attached the pics below. I've tried running without side panel and still hit max temp of 94 using furmark... I read your post on this benchmark card and it can hit 70+C at 21C ambient temp. However when i brought down my card 2 weeks ago to test at corbell. The person ran furmark for 30 mins there and my card's temp hover around 80+C....

If temp is normal i don't mind for this card but the problem is that once it hits 94C the core clock will start throttling a little. Throttling was worst on my old case with just 80mm fans.

I'm willing to wait till new card arrive to have more test if possible.

200r case with side panel on
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fl063hs03zz23j/Case.jpg?dl=0

Internal of case (5 intake, 1 exhaust). * I've also tried flipping the top intake to exhaust but still hit max temp 94C
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsub9c9jhw...nCase.jpg?dl=0

Running Unigine Valley in 10 mins hit max temp 94C, VRM1 84C, VRM2 47C. *ambient temp around 28C non aircon room.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/532upioygx...20out.jpg?dl=0

Custom Fan profile on afterburner
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cod358zd7...ofile.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by imrunning; 14-09-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Old 14-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, Storage Clinic

Hi imrunning,

Thanks for the pics.
Will test once the stock is here.

-Local MSI product arrival/price updates: Kabylake/Ryzen
-MSI TwinFrozr Club! Come join our very own SG club!
=My Cooling=
TRU12E Cu LE / Vapo LS Singlestage /
SF3D Inflection Pt CPU pot + Ryba slim GPU pot ver.2
clon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

may i add my 2 cents. i find it strange in an open test bench plus aircon, 80-84 deg is normal. 94 deg in ambient temp of 31 is also very hot.

TS, casing fans won't solve the problem, especially after tweaking the fan profile. A user here had much better results after tweaking.

The service centre may be unsure. TS, u can try contacting MSI directly for a response.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

may i add my 2 cents. i find it strange in an open test bench plus aircon, 80-84 deg is normal. 94 deg in ambient temp of 31 is also very hot.

TS, casing fans won't solve the problem, especially after tweaking the fan profile. A user here had much better results after tweaking.

The service centre may be unsure. TS, u can try contacting MSI directly for a response.
Hi, yeah i doubt so is normal too. Most users hit maximum of 70+ for this card. yes although this is the same chip with r9 290 with users facing throttling when they hit 95C, i believe this version was slightly "optimised" and able to run cooler.... I will try to contact MSI directly too and see what they have to say. Thanks!
Old 14-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

Hi, yeah i doubt so is normal too. Most users hit maximum of 70+ for this card. yes although this is the same chip with r9 290 with users facing throttling when they hit 95C, i believe this version was slightly "optimised" and able to run cooler.... I will try to contact MSI directly too and see what they have to say. Thanks!
Something not very right.. your fan profile similar to what i set for my brother's.

At first i was not able to bring down the temps for the card till i set the FPS limiter as per what roy's suggested, only then it dropped back down to 70+ 80 range..

Can feel the top of the case and side panel is very warm when gaming..
tony_ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

The thing about Hawaii cards is that, it is suppose to run at 94deg. It is perfectly normal, as it is meant to run at that kind of temperatures. But nevertheless it is still a little too discomfort to some users when it is running at 94deg.

Note that Hawaii based cards operating temp is 94deg, it is design in such a way to hit 94deg. It may be hot if no tweaking is done to it.

Hawaii cards can be anywhere from 70deg to 94deg. There are a few reasons why the card will hit 94deg.

1. Running too stressful applications or games that are very demanding.
2. Running games that are totally too easy to run (such as old title games) and FPS went way above 1XXfps range.
3. Running very low rpm fan settings.
4. GPU stress test programe

Note that there are ways to cool down the Hawaii card.

Games that are way too easy to run, and churn out more than 100fps, try to limit the frames instead. By running Vsync will help you lock the frame rate with monitors refreshing rate of 60fps/60hz.

Next is bump up the fan curves using MSI Afterburner software. Set fan curves such as:

40deg 45%
50deg 55%
60deg 65%
70deg 70%
80deg 80%
94deg 100%

Also stressing too much on Anti Aliasing will increase in GPU overall temps. Some games are not meant to run full AA settings. You can run minimal AA settings so that it wont be so taxing on the GPU.

Hope that helps.
Next project Icarus #2.
royfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

Something not very right.. your fan profile similar to what i set for my brother's.

At first i was not able to bring down the temps for the card till i set the FPS limiter as per what roy's suggested, only then it dropped back down to 70+ 80 range..

Can feel the top of the case and side panel is very warm when gaming..
have you tried running other games that doesnt have fps limiter or benchmark tools like unigine heaven or valley? what was your temps like?

The thing about Hawaii cards is that, it is suppose to run at 94deg. It is perfectly normal, as it is meant to run at that kind of temperatures. But nevertheless it is still a little too discomfort to some users when it is running at 94deg.

Note that Hawaii based cards operating temp is 94deg, it is design in such a way to hit 94deg. It may be hot if no tweaking is done to it.

Hawaii cards can be anywhere from 70deg to 94deg. There are a few reasons why the card will hit 94deg.

2. Running games that are totally too easy to run (such as old title games) and FPS went way above 1XXfps range.

Games that are way too easy to run, and churn out more than 100fps, try to limit the frames instead. By running Vsync will help you lock the frame rate with monitors refreshing rate of 60fps/60hz.

Next is bump up the fan curves using MSI Afterburner software. Set fan curves such as:

40deg 45%
50deg 55%
60deg 65%
70deg 70%
80deg 80%
94deg 100%

Also stressing too much on Anti Aliasing will increase in GPU overall temps. Some games are not meant to run full AA settings. You can run minimal AA settings so that it wont be so taxing on the GPU.

Hope that helps.
Hmmm, yeah notice that this chip was design to able to run at that temp safely but i just can't take the fact that it starts throttling down when hit max temp in order to cool it down... and the fact then i see the card throttle down is where my game play stuck stuttering is what i cannot stand.

I'll try to on vsync and off AA and see how it goes.... for now i'm running unigine heaven loop and my avg fps is around 60-70 fps.. While i ran any other games will just hit fianlly 94C, difference is the time take to reach that temp.
Old 14-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Hi imrunning,

Thanks for the pics.
Will test once the stock is here.
Do PM me and let me know when can i come down to test okay. Thanks!
Old 14-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #11

have you tried running other games that doesnt have fps limiter or benchmark tools like unigine heaven or valley? what was your temps like?
hmmmm did not use benchmark tools to test though.

Before i set FPS limiter, my bro play darksiders 2 time also is hit 94deg.
Old 14-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

hmmmm did not use benchmark tools to test though.

Before i set FPS limiter, my bro play darksiders 2 time also is hit 94deg.
What was the fps limited to? 60Hz?
Old 14-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #13

Hmmm, yeah notice that this chip was design to able to run at that temp safely but i just can't take the fact that it starts throttling down when hit max temp in order to cool it down... and the fact then i see the card throttle down is where my game play stuck stuttering is what i cannot stand.

I'll try to on vsync and off AA and see how it goes.... for now i'm running unigine heaven loop and my avg fps is around 60-70 fps.. While i ran any other games will just hit fianlly 94C, difference is the time take to reach that temp.
I've try running without AA but still hit 94C... however if i ran v-sync... it stays over 70-80C and i notice that the core clock was hovering at 800-1000mhz range which i can only deduce that the card wasn't running at max speed as the fps was lock to either 30fps or 60fps
Old 14-09-2015, 11:22 PM   #14

What was the fps limited to? 60Hz?
I set the limiter to 60FPS.
Old 15-09-2015, 12:31 AM   #15
High Supremacy Member

40deg 45%
50deg 55%
60deg 65%
70deg 70%
80deg 80%
94deg 100%

Hope that helps.
your figures seem like those of the 290 reference cooler. non ref coolers should get better temps? 390 has no ref cooler but i think 290 can be used as comparison.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.