HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any Credit Card that can pay 25-30k of Surgery fees operated under a Privte Hosp?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LegoCat
  • 1 Post By Alphas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Any Credit Card that can pay 25-30k of Surgery fees operated under a Privte Hosp?

Assuming covered 100% by insurance but need to settle up front full payment of 25-30k. Any good CC for this type of used and is there any sort of documentation (insurance plans) proof to bank in order to increase the limits?
kenapa siol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

you can ask hospital to split the bill to more than 1 card which they normally would

to increase limit, usually Bank will just ask you why you need the increase limit for, whether permanent or temp ... they normally dont ask for supporting, but will just increase or reject your request based on what you tell them (and your credit profile)

banks dont normally increase limit for insurance payments

they would for reasons such as renovation, holidays, purchases for new home etc

Last edited by oceanicmanta; 08-07-2019 at 10:54 AM..
oceanicmanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Think you need to talk to the bank credit card CSO directly , tell them the amount you need and when you can pay back. Also which hospital and most likely payment date to the hospital.
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

Sharing from personal experience paid ~45k for surgery at Mount E Novena last year. Called DBS for limit increase but I think CSO mentioned that they do it for weddings and a few other categories but not hospital bills.

Ended up splitting my bill across 3 cards (DBS Altitude, Citi Premiermiles, Amex KF (blue card) and got standard mile rewards for all three.

Word of caution if you are planning to pay first and claim from insurance you better make sure you have enough cash float/liquidity to pay off your bills yourself cos the claim takes very long, was 6 months+ for me before I got my money back
BBCWatcher likes this.
LegoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #5

For limit - i think most already informed.
For "Good credit card" - really depends again . Either you chase miles or cashback .
Cannot comment much on miles but on cashback u may want to use SCB unlimited / Maybank FC Barcelona for 1.5/1.6 percent rebate - if u do one shot.

Otherwise u can try spreading on different cards - u can find such discussion here i think.

For SCB Unlimited , there is actually another route to increase the cashback. If you open the unlimited saving acc and dump 100K average in 1 month , you can jack up your cashback to 5 % .

To me this is the only time that the unlimited acc work to your advantage . For 30K bill u will earn 1.5 K rebate - which is great value . Only do this for really very big ticket purchase consolidated in 1 month otherwise the interest lost offset the benefit . Close the saving acc after 6 months if u dont need it .
paurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Master Member

Sorry im just curious, why cannot get insurance company to issue letter of guarantee instead?
magna_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe purposely wanted to earn the rebates and miles.
BBCWatcher likes this.
Alphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Master Member

Sorry im just curious, why cannot get insurance company to issue letter of guarantee instead?
A few years ago, my mum did a surgery at Mt Alvernia and she is covered with AIA basic only.
Was asked to pay $10k cash or card upfront at admission, her estimated bill was 25k.
Squaredot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Maybe purposely wanted to earn the rebates and miles.
Some people don't dip into MediSave for the same reason, especially if they're not eligible to make voluntary MediSave top ups with tax relief.

LegoCat makes a really important point about cash flow. If cash flow is a problem, you could try using an OCBC Cashflo credit card. The Cashflo card allows you interest free repayment over up to 6 months and a 1% rebate. Read all the terms and conditions carefully, of course.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #10
Master Member

A few years ago, my mum did a surgery at Mt Alvernia and she is covered with AIA basic only.
Was asked to pay $10k cash or card upfront at admission, her estimated bill was 25k.
Hmmm ok.. I heard about that but also heard of cases where the hosp staff managed to get a LOG from the insurance company as the patients themselves insist on waiting for their insurance company to help cover or they wont do the procedure though, and if not wrong they were successful..
magna_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
Master Member

So far, based on the websites of UOB and DBS, they do grant temporary limit increase for hospitalization / medical fees (subject to approval):

https://pib.uob.com.sg/personal/card...it_review.html

https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/card...limit-increase

You can apply online to see if you get any approval. If not, then you may have to speak to the CSO.

For OCBC, you can request via CSO due to medical reasons as well:
https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...-increase.html
hclee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

if you have 100k, you can consider moving $100k into SCB unlimited savers acct

If u maintain $100k for the month of July, SCB give 5% unlimited for Aug card (based on preceding month balance) spending.

after spending the $25-30k, u can move back the $100k to whatever high savings accounts.

I have this 5% unlimited credit card. if you trust me, we can work out something...... haha but high risk for you and me....issue is trust.

Last edited by Verbatin; 09-07-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Verbatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.