Bank of China: Family Rebate Visa Platinum Card

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup thinking of dining only... But on top of the 2.5% surcharge, isn't the forex rate something u lose out on vs money changer also?

So with the balance 4.5% it's enough to cover the poor forex rate?

Visa forex loss is roughly 1%, 4.5% more than covered this.

Best card for overseas dining is CIMB Visa signature for net 10% rebate (capped at $60 monthly) and only 1% fees. Need min $500 and min 8× min$30 monthly spending.

Last edited:

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup thinking of dining only... But on top of the 2.5% surcharge, isn't the forex rate something u lose out on vs money changer also?

So with the balance 4.5% it's enough to cover the poor forex rate?

You are confused, Visa/MasterCard are usually comparable or better than moneychanger, it's the embedded 2.5-3.5% which make it worse.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score

Best card for overseas dining is CIMB Visa signature for net 10% rebate (capped at $60 monthly) and only 1% fees. Need min $500 and min 8× min$30 monthly spending.

Ooo cool! 10% rebate doesn't apply for local right?

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
You are confused, Visa/MasterCard are usually comparable or better than moneychanger, it's the embedded 2.5-3.5% which make it worse.

Sorry about that. Didn't know about the embedded charge that's why I always assumed it's worse

iCuteCube

Master Member
Reaction score

I do think CIMB Visa Sing is the best card for dining, but as we know require to spend that number of txn and minimum amount which I find it irritating. I could have 1 bill say $200+, but i may not hit that number of txns.

Purplestars

Master Member
Reaction score
Are there any exclusions to this this card? Telco bills and Flashpay don't count to the min spend maybe?

iCuteCube

Master Member
Reaction score
Have anyone tried uber/grab? Is it considered as online and qualify for 5%?

Tried uber and grab before, qualified for 5%.
For Grab even you do wallet top up also qualify 5%.

*Cap at $30 rebate per month for online, which is $600 of online spending or more.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
must really hand it to BOC rebate calculations ... spot on despite the variety & rebate tiers ... well done !

pleasant surprise every quarter

Last edited:

Alwaysb

Reaction score
Hi, this is my firdt time getting quarter rebate too.

Did you keep track what spend qualifies the additional 2%?

I suspect dining qualifiedls and that explain why it was promoted up to 9% rebate

must really hand it to BOC rebate calculations ... spot on despite the variety & rebate tiers ... well done !

pleasant surprise every quarter

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my firdt time getting quarter rebate too.

Did you keep track what spend qualifies the additional 2%?

I suspect dining qualifiedls and that explain why it was promoted up to 9% rebate

my very few dining spend got 7% as far as I can tell.

however, it could be merchant specific ... where did u dine ?

Alwaysb

Reaction score
I dine quite a number of places. I just couldn't figure out how they calculate the extra 2% because my other spend total up is less than $35. But i got 37 for the quarter.

my very few dining spend got 7% as far as I can tell.

however, it could be merchant specific ... where did u dine ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.