best card for overseas spending

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree with purpletoysmum, it's a good overall general spending card. However do note Visa and MC are prone to DCC for FCY which can be tricky (sometimes it's out of the merchant's control as the bank an lock the terminal). Hence I use UOB PRVI Miles Amex to avoid this hassle.

calvinchin

Reaction score
Is Maybank Horizon Visa still the best cc for overseas retail spend in USD?

I also have UOB Privimiles Amex and OCBC titanium, and normal Amex plat credit card.

aster1

Reaction score
I agree with purpletoysmum, it's a good overall general spending card. However do note Visa and MC are prone to DCC for FCY which can be tricky (sometimes it's out of the merchant's control as the bank an lock the terminal). Hence I use UOB PRVI Miles Amex to avoid this hassle.

Is it just a question of time before MC/Visa make a crack-down on this? DCC should NEVER, EVER happen unless specifically asked for/agreed to by the cardholder. Anything else is just daylight robbery.

In Europe I have never had this forced down my throat and when encountering it have always been given the option to use it or have the transaction counted in the local currency.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it just a question of time before MC/Visa make a crack-down on this? DCC should NEVER, EVER happen unless specifically asked for/agreed to by the cardholder. Anything else is just daylight robbery.

In Europe I have never had this forced down my throat and when encountering it have always been given the option to use it or have the transaction counted in the local currency.

A bit difficult for a country as big as China. Visa/MC are probably earning millions from her, they probably wouldn't care.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
One of the Hong Kong retailers didn't ask and straight away charged my cousin in sgd.

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
Very difficult to avoid DCC in China. Even though the vendor insists that it is charged in FCY and the charge slip states the amount in FCY, it can stll be DCCed. I got done 2x in China on a previous trip. The date of posting can be more than a week sometimes. And cause you to miss the minimum spending for getting the higher pts or rebates for that cycle. It is v. stressful to keep checking yr acct every day.

Last edited:

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah DCC in China is sometimes unavoidable due to the banks locking the terminals. Sometimes it's not the merchant's fault.

ziyouboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I going Italy next month for honey moon, can advice what credit card is the best bang for bucks~

cynthialeez1988

Reaction score
uob ladies card or may bank ?

hi all,

i have a uob ladies but how much do i have to make to upgrade to platinum. the rewards are very good but need to pay bill on time else they dont waive late charges.

thinking of switching to maybank ? any good promotion coming up ?

:s12::s12::s12:

hogrider88

Reaction score
hi all,

i have a uob ladies but how much do i have to make to upgrade to platinum. the rewards are very good but need to pay bill on time else they dont waive late charges.

thinking of switching to maybank ? any good promotion coming up ?

:s12::s12::s12:

Paying cc bill late overwrites any reward or benefit of the card liao lo

ywehcfive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been doing homework on credit cards as I'm travelling to Euro in May.

I'm looking for a cashback credit card because I don't plan to use the credit card after my trip actually. So prefer a fuss free option.

Been looking through the forums and would it be safe to consider:
  • UOB One
  • CIMB World OR Platinum Mastercard

Came to a conclusion that:

UOB ONE is 2.5% (Visa + UOB Admin) but - 2% rebate on overseas spending, I still have 0.5% to consider.

Can just do SGD0 local spending and spend entirely on overseas spending? Help!

CIMB is 1% MC + 1.4% CIMB Admin but - 1% rebate on overseas spending, so I have 1.4% to consider.

So UOB ONE seems a better deal for me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
Try Amex True Cashback. 5% rebate up to 5k spending in the first 3 months. Forex charge 2.5%. Net + 2.5%. However Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa/Master so you need another card as back up.

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
i think the europe acceptance of amex is worse than here. i would recommend the amex tcb for hotels and the rest on cimb.

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cashback credit card because I don't plan to use the credit card after my trip actually. So prefer a fuss free option.

• UOB One

UOB ONE is 2.5% (Visa + UOB Admin) but - 2% rebate on overseas spending, I still have 0.5% to consider.

Not sure if I can just do SGD0 local spending (I'd already be in Europe when the bill cycle starts) and spend entirely on overseas spending? Don't think so right. Help!

CIMB is 1% MC + 1.4% CIMB Admin but - 1% rebate on overseas spending, so I have 1.4% to consider.

Would it be safe to say it's slightly cheaper to go with CIMB for my euro trip?

Thanks in advance!

cimb admin fee so low?

i thot standard is 2.5, ocbc 2.8, scb 3.0. correct me if i am wrong, as i often is.

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup CIMB total 2.4% charges. Not that much difference la unless you're transacting in huge amounts

spearhawk

Reaction score
Hi all,

• UOB One

Not sure if I can just do SGD0 local spending (I'd already be in Europe when the bill cycle starts) and spend entirely on overseas spending? Don't think so right. Help!

Would it be safe to say it's slightly cheaper to go with CIMB for my euro trip?

Thanks in advance!

Have u taken a look at UOB Visa Signature? It's 5% cash rebate for 1k-2k overseas spending per statement month. Hard to beat this IMO.

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
Have u taken a look at UOB Visa Signature? It's 5% cash rebate for 1k-2k overseas spending per statement month. Hard to beat this IMO.

Agree. But this has a few cons:

1. Minimum and max. spend.
2. Tricky to predict when the transaction may post. Can miss cut off dates for statement month.
3. Prone to DCC.
4. Rewards given as UNI$. Need to redeem online and Takes a few months to get the rebate.

Amex True Cashback is another option for spending up to 5k within first 3 months. No min and max spend during any one month. Will never kena DCC. Rebates automatically credited with next statement. Fuss-free. Except should keep track not to exceed 5k and merchant acceptance lower than for Visa.

ywehcfive

Reaction score

Yup, came across this but the minimum spending is :O. I'm planning to use the card in case I decide to buy some big ticket items overseas (like a branded wallet) but not going to spend $1000, at most $500.

Thanks all!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.