best card for overseas spending

ywehcfive

Reaction score
UOB ONE is 2.5% (Visa + UOB Admin) but - 2% rebate on overseas spending, I still have 0.5% to consider.

Can just do SGD0 local spending and spend entirely on overseas spending? Help!

CIMB is 1% MC + 1.4% CIMB Admin but - 1% rebate on overseas spending, so I have 1.4% to consider.

So UOB ONE seems a better deal for me?

Thanks in advance!

To add on, I THINK it's ok if I don't do local spending to UOB One (I just don't get the 3.33% rebate lor) so hurhur maybe it might be the better one.

Also thanks to those that suggested Amex True Cashback! Will go research and look into it.

Frederick84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
uob one and manhatton card rebate system is super different..

do read carefully on the rebate terms..

amex true cashback is great for the promotion for the first 3 mth.. but do tk note tat not all merchant support it..

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
amex cards (e.g. true cash back) not issued by banks eg citibank.

any better terminology for that?

Amex true cash back is issued by Amex themselves, Amex-issued amex card is a better terminology. FCY charge is 2.5%.

xYunnie

Reaction score
Dear Experts,

I am travelling to States in April and I'm looking for a card that can give me maximum cash rebate .

After reading the posts, I am interested in the Amex true cashback card (with 5% cash rebate).
May I know what's the admin / foreign currency rate that the bank charge? and the effective cashback that i get to enjoy?

Is this the best card that i can bring ? Is there another alternative which i can consider ?

thanks in advance!

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear Experts,

I am travelling to States in April and I'm looking for a card that can give me maximum cash rebate .

After reading the posts, I am interested in the Amex true cashback card (with 5% cash rebate).
May I know what's the admin / foreign currency rate that the bank charge? and the effective cashback that i get to enjoy?

Is this the best card that i can bring ? Is there another alternative which i can consider ?

thanks in advance!

The whole thread you don't bother to read ask the questions that are already answered why should people take the effort to reply you?

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Experts,

thanks in advance!

yes i believe so.
Meet the new American Express True Cashback Card - ZUJI Singapore
1. amex tcb get it with zuji.

spending * amex rate * 1.025 * 0.95 = s * a * 0.97
- this last up to 5k and up to 3mths, thereafter 1.5% rebate
- cashback is deducted within the same bill cycle of spending
- i dun seem to get sms for everyone purchase but can check them online. get at&t data/voice, cost at least USD35/mth, but still cheaper than singtel SGD30/day. prices differs from state to state.

2. alternative is uob visa signature charged in USD.
spending * visa rate * 1.025 * 0.95 = s * v * 0.97
min spending per monthly bill cycle is 1k,
max rebate up to spending of 2k per bill cycle

if i am u, i will plan my total cost like airfare, accom, etc, and if that is going to exceed 5k (probably u will), i will get both cards. insurance in sgd i will use amex tcb. top up with more cards if spending exceeds 7k (5+2).

3. anz optimum offers 5% for strict single categories, e.g. only hotel/dining, only flight etc, also at 2.5%. i will add on this for myself if it came out earlier.

4. uob one at 5.3%, but complicated card to use. too lazy to describe here. only check out this if above 3 not enough.

5. scb manhattan world add on 3% for mthly >3k, but admin fee 3.5%, not worthwhile. cant use this for insurance.

6. are u going to also buy things online? get scb singpost+paypal, and ocbc frank+360. for spending of 500-700, and 500-1000 respectively at 7 and 6% returns.

7. u will get savings also from the visa exchange rate compared to moneychanger rate. but by how much i cant tell u. also depends on when u changed your money. at the current rate usd is climbing, note that moneychanger rate is before trip while credit card spending (minus fare/hotel) is during trip.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=SGD&view=1Y

please do contribute back to the forum with lobangs u get to know. dun disappoint me hoh.

Last edited:

rotiboyz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i believe so.
Meet the new American Express True Cashback Card - ZUJI Singapore
1. amex tcb get it with zuji.

spending * amex rate * 1.025 * 0.95 = s * a * 0.97
- this last up to 5k and up to 3mths, thereafter 1.5% rebate
- cashback is deducted within the same bill cycle of spending
- i dun seem to get sms for everyone purchase but can check them online. get at&t data/voice, cost at least USD35/mth, but still cheaper than singtel SGD30/day. prices differs from state to state.

2. alternative is uob visa signature charged in USD.
spending * visa rate * 1.025 * 0.95 = s * v * 0.97
min spending per monthly bill cycle is 1k,
max rebate up to spending of 2k per bill cycle

if i am u, i will plan my total cost like airfare, accom, etc, and if that is going to exceed 5k (probably u will), i will get both cards. insurance in sgd i will use amex tcb. top up with more cards if spending exceeds 7k (5+2).

3. anz optimum offers 5% for strict single categories, e.g. only hotel/dining, only flight etc, also at 2.5%. i will add on this for myself if it came out earlier.

4. uob one at 5.3%, but complicated card to use. too lazy to describe here. only check out this if above 3 not enough.

5. scb manhattan world add on 3% for mthly >3k, but admin fee 3.5%, not worthwhile. cant use this for insurance.

6. are u going to also buy things online? get scb singpost+paypal, and ocbc frank+360. for spending of 500-700, and 500-1000 respectively at 7 and 6% returns.

7. u will get savings also from the visa exchange rate compared to moneychanger rate. but by how much i cant tell u. also depends on when u changed your money. at the current rate usd is climbing, note that moneychanger rate is before trip while credit card spending (minus fare/hotel) is during trip.

XE.com - USD/SGD Chart

please do contribute back to the forum with lobangs u get to know. dun disappoint me hoh.

i suggest m1 citibank for 5 percent if your ezpenses is high o/s

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.