best card for overseas spending

dreamyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UOB one card and POSB Everyday give 2% rebate now but subject to terms and conditions.

POSB need minimum spend of $1000 within the month of usage.

leogeo

Master Member
Reaction score
UOB one card and POSB Everyday give 2% rebate now but subject to terms and conditions.

POSB need minimum spend of $1000 within the month of usage.
yea, the min 1k spending is quite an off putter.

at the moment UOB ONE seems best, followed by CIMB Platinum with 1% rebate

archcherub

Reaction score
yea, the min 1k spending is quite an off putter.

at the moment UOB ONE seems best, followed by CIMB Platinum with 1% rebate

UOB card needs consistent spending... :(
problem is overseas trip you spend a huge lump sum in that 1 month, then the next few months you will cut down on your spending...

Last time used to depend on SCB cards for overseas travels..

now which cards do you guys use when you travel aboard?

F3Rm1nat0r

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what about buying stuff online ah? any card that is good for making online payment (other than ocbc frank card) at orbitz one shot 3K usd

Last edited:

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
what about buying stuff online ah? any card that is good for making online payment (other than ocbc frank card) at orbitz one shot 3K usd

probably wait for those with gifts one
i think BOC also got those gifts when u hit some amt
i probably get BOC becoz they have the 6% card rebate too like FRANK
already hit 1k liao this mth so i cant use Frank else 0.5% for online purchases nia.

lee_tired_sheep

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SCB having promotion of up to 12% cashback now for online spending (10% foreign currency + 2% local currency). But you must really whack your spendings and get top 1200 spenders in whole of Singapore to be able to get the promotion. For all the heavy spenders out there.

Standard Chartered Bank Singapore

Any idea if this cashback is in addition to the usual Manhattan cashback?

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
the SCB one not so simple
need to be top spenders (200) of them to get that % leh
Terms and Conditions
* 1. This Online CashBack Promotion ("Promotion") is available from 0001 hour (Singapore time) on 15 September to 2359 hour (Singapore time) on 15 November 2013 ("Promotion Period"). 2. To participate in this Promotion, eligible cardholders ("Cardholders") must, during the Promotion Period, (a) successfully register an eligible card ("Registered Card") by (i) sending an SMS to 77222 or (ii) registering online at our website at Standard Chartered Bank | Welcome, and (b) charge the minimum amount of $2,000 worth of Online Credit Card Transactions to a Registered Card where the corresponding transactions are posted to the account of such Registered Card during the Promotion Period. Certain cards are excluded from this Promotion and they include AIA cards, corporate liability cards and business platinum cards issued by us. Cardholders can register multiple eligible cards for this Promotion. 3. Cardholders of the top 200 Registered Card accounts with the highest total amount of Online Credit Card Transactions charged to and posted to such accounts during the Promotion Period will qualify to earn (a) 10% CashBack on Online Credit Card Transactions effected in any currency other than Singapore Dollars ("Foreign Currency Online Transactions") , and/or (b) 2% CashBack on Online Credit Card Transactions effected in Singapore Dollars ("Local Currency Online Transactions"), during the Promotion Period. 4. Cardholders of the next 1000 Registered Card accounts with the next highest total amount of Online Credit Card Transactions charged to and posted to such accounts during the Promotion Period will qualify to earn (a) 8% CashBack on Foreign Currency Online Transactions, and/or (b) 2% CashBack on Local Currency Online Transactions, during the Promotion Period. 5. "Online Credit Card Transactions" means retail purchases made via the Internet which we identify as an online transaction based on codes assigned by MasterCard International Incorporated/VISA. Certain transactions are not considered as Online Credit Card Transactions. 6. Please visit our website for details for the eligible card types, exclusions that apply, and the full version of Online CashBack Promotion (September - November 2013) Terms and Conditions.

ok cap is $500

....btw how can say up to 12%
max is 10% nia n have to be top 200 spenders for ONLINE purchasing stuffs
2% is for local purchases. not even 12% ma

Last edited:

tjoeshue2000

Reaction score
Hi im planning to swipe alot of euros,so i should go for uob visa signature for the 1st 2000 dollars, then ocbc titanium for 2.5 miles per dollar.
Didnt consider all amex due to the unfavourable surcharge.
Am i right? I know alot say the horizon card but its only 2 miles per dollar, so is citi premiermiles.
The only concern is should i use the citi rewards cards since i will be doing alot of shopping , seems favourable to use citi rewards but due to its conversion to US then to native currrncy seems like alot of higher surcharge

lee_tired_sheep

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi im planning to swipe alot of euros,so i should go for uob visa signature for the 1st 2000 dollars, then ocbc titanium for 2.5 miles per dollar.
Am i right? I know alot say the horizon card but its only 2 miles per dollar, so is citi premiermiles.
The only concern is should i use the citi rewards cards since i will be doing alot of shopping , seems favourable to use citi rewards but due to its conversion to US then to native currrncy seems like alot of higher surcharge

Interested to know also. I'm about to do a 10k euro online payment.

Right now my plan is first and second 1000sgd on ocbc frank in Sep and Oct to get $60*2, then the rest on Manhattan and hope I get 500+200. Sounds possible? Want to do Uob prvi miles also but heard about the amex conversion rates. Didn't consider titanium because of the comparatively lower miles rate. Maybe I can apply for Uob visa Sig same day approval and pay 1000 there too... But lowers my chance of getting the 500 with scb.

For consideration, cards I have:
Ocbc frank
Ocbc titanium
Manhattan
Citi premier miles
Citi rewards
Uob one
Uob prvi miles

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

All Visa/MC work the same way, take it or leave it, you don't have a option. And Visa/MC let you convert currency rate at very low spread so even a conversion from non-USD currency is very reasonable, already argued to death.

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score

i was charged by scb n amex on same day or 1-2day different while at europe
the amt i was charged by amex is lower than scb. quite a big diff
i was surprised amex is lower than scb

if 10k euro probably consider the scb lo coz IF top 200 can hit 10%? but cap $500. wu hua or not

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.