best card for overseas spending

CrashWire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since he claims it is better to pay 18k then I have sure he must have methods to get that 18k from the same spending. Please share how to buy "unlimited" miles at much lower than 2c per mile, I am trying to get more miles and 2c seem to be the barrier.
I didn't claim that it's better to pay $18k.

What @fr33d0m said is right. The extra tradeoff for redeeming award tickets with miles is having to spend time and effort hunting for availability — maybe it's better to calculate how much your hourly rate is, and whether you are interested enough in award redemption to learn the various redemption tricks to squeeze better value out of your miles.

I noticed that you used 372k for 3 tickets, so I guess you were lucky enough to find Saver tickets? But what if Saver tickets weren't available?

No amount of miles can get you SQ business class tickets to most places in Europe this/next month. (Then again, I just took a look at revenue tickets and many dates in the coming weeks are also sold out of revenue seats.)

Suleyman

Reaction score
I didn't claim that it's better to pay $18k.

What @fr33d0m said is right. The extra tradeoff for redeeming award tickets with miles is having to spend time and effort hunting for availability — maybe it's better to calculate how much your hourly rate is, and whether you are interested enough in award redemption to learn the various redemption tricks to squeeze better value out of your miles.
It's not really that bad. It does require being able to plan far in advance (such as booking flights a year in advance) or being flexible in terms of which airlines you take or days you fly. But yes, it does require you to spend some time to learn the various tricks. However, for many people who do this, it's also a bit of a hobby, so that works out.

It is definitely not the route for those who decide on travel plans the week before or not wanting to spend time to learn the in & outs of award booking. In this case, I would always recommend a cashback card instead.

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
I am also pointing out the fact that I am not willing to pay 18k so do you have a better option? I am not going to spend on a net 0.5% rebate like some suggest using the ICBC card to accumulate 18k.
If you are not willing to pay 18K, you certainly did not get the 18K you assumed. 18K and 372k miles are not equivalent. You value your miles significantly less.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.