HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best (Miles/Cashback) card for (XXX) payment

Like Tree115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #61

AMEX True Cashback has welcome offer of 3% cashback for first six months expenditure up to 5k spending. I assume both merchants accept AMEX. That's the highest no-hurdle cashback rate I can think of.

BOC has 5% cashback for Best Denki but it has other conditions that you need to meet, and max cashback per month is $100, so at 2.3k spend, you won't get max cashback value.

Hmm. Hubby wants to buy a 2.3k tv from harvey norman, best denki.

Anyone knows which is the best card to use? I currently still have a DBS Black Visa (and maybe the Women world cc, provided they approve it) that I can apply for to get $70 cashback (sad face, really should have applied in march for $100 cashback).

Other than that.. Not sure what else to use. Suggestions please?
wealth_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #62

Boc family card gives 5% rebate for purchase at Best Denki, cap at $100.

http://www.bankofchina.com/sg/bcserv...3_6891836.html
sebastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #63
Master Member

Hi Salmonella,

My household is charging all telco bills ( Singtel , M1 , Starhub) to the OCBC 365 credit card.

We are getting 3% back every month.

For each Telco, we filled up their individual form and authorised them to charge it to our OCBC 365 credit card.

The credit card in turn is set to full GIRO payment each month directly to my OCBC 360 bank account.

So we earn 3% and everything is automatically paid.
Super convenient!!!

I understand that Singtel payments do not get cashback since Mar.

Is that true for all telcos (Singtel, M1, Starhub)? How about payments to others like VQ, MR, Circles?

Is it true for all cashback cards? How about miles cards?

In short, is there any card that we should charge our mobile/broadband bills to? Or just switch to GIRO since there's no benefit in paying manually?
arigatoast likes this.
Knightoftheblackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #64

I understand that Singtel payments do not get cashback since Mar.

Is that true for all telcos (Singtel, M1, Starhub)? How about payments to others like VQ, MR, Circles?

Is it true for all cashback cards? How about miles cards?

In short, is there any card that we should charge our mobile/broadband bills to? Or just switch to GIRO since there's no benefit in paying manually?
If you're talking about bonus online cashback for paying the bill online, I believe M1 still offers it. There are reports of Starhub being ineligible, not too sure about the rest.

Hmm. Hubby wants to buy a 2.3k tv from harvey norman, best denki.

Anyone knows which is the best card to use? I currently still have a DBS Black Visa (and maybe the Women world cc, provided they approve it) that I can apply for to get $70 cashback (sad face, really should have applied in march for $100 cashback).

Other than that.. Not sure what else to use. Suggestions please?
Most cashback cards cap at a certain amount, and I'm quite confident that your purchase might exceed the cap. Not sure if you can do split payments, but you can consider Amex TCB for 3% unlimited for first 6 months.

Boc family card gives 5% rebate for purchase at Best Denki, cap at $100.

http://www.bankofchina.com/sg/bcserv...3_6891836.html
Updated!
dahnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #65

Do correct me if i'm wrong.

Groceries:
POSB Everyday Card (5% | no min spend | $50/c.mth)

Petrol:
POSB Everyday Card (5% DBS/POSB discount + 6% rebate | SPC | no min spend | no mthly cap)
tshany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #66
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do correct me if i'm wrong.

Groceries:
POSB Everyday Card (5% | no min spend | $50/c.mth)

Petrol:
POSB Everyday Card (5% DBS/POSB discount + 6% rebate | SPC | no min spend | no mthly cap)
Think should be

Groceries:
POSB Everyday Card (5% | Sheng Siong only+ no min spend| $50/c.mth)

Petrol:
POSB Everyday Card (5% DBS/POSB discount + 6% rebate | SPC only+no min spend | NONE)
Trazora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #67

Think should be

Groceries:
POSB Everyday Card (5% | Sheng Siong only+ no min spend| $50/c.mth)

Petrol:
POSB Everyday Card (5% DBS/POSB discount + 6% rebate | SPC only+no min spend | NONE)
Updated. It seems that there are way more interest in cashback cards than miles cards, I would have thought otherwise.
vince123123 likes this.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #68

This is a great post.

Under overseas AND potentially under online, you can add:

Overseas transactions made online:

CIMB Visa (10% | min $500/s.mth + 8x$30/s.mth | $60/mth)
vegavega25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #69
Supremacy Member

Most cashback cards cap at a certain amount, and I'm quite confident that your purchase might exceed the cap. Not sure if you can do split payments, but you can consider Amex TCB for 3% unlimited for first 6 months.
Haha thanks for this but I've had the TCB for awhile now so no longer entitled to the 3% cashback. You should clarify though, it's not unlimited spendings but up to spending of 5k.

My husband was gan cheong and I ended up paying with my Amex TCB at Harvey Norman yesterday since they have this promo now where you get $100 Harvey Norman voucher (with no expiry) if you spend more than 1k and break it into 6/12/24 months 0% installment.

The article (as well as their website) did state that no further rewards (cashback/miles/capita$) would be given if you used the 0% IPP but before I made payment, I actually called their hotline and said I was about to buy from Harvey Norman and that there was a $100 voucher if I made my payment with 0% instalment plan.

I then asked if I would still get 1.5% cashback in that case and the cso put me on hold for a bit to check, and came back to say that yes, I would still get 1.5% cashback even if I got the instalment plan.

Not sure if he's wrong but I have grounds to argue I guess since they record all the calls and there's proof. Although even the $100 is not bad already lar haha.
denial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #70

Haha, actually I'm not too surprised as the masses probably see regard cashback as being more straightforward whilst miles game has some learning curve. Having said that, apart from preferring miles, I actually find it more trouble some to remember to comply with the "min spend XXX per calendar/statement month" on cashback cards.

Updated. It seems that there are way more interest in cashback cards than miles cards, I would have thought otherwise.
vince123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #71

Do be a little cautious about relying on the other party's recordings as they are under no obligation to provide you with a copy if a dispute does arise. Without a copy they can always say "That's not how we interpret the call". It is usually advisable to make your own copy of the recording if you foresee possible trouble ahead.

Not sure if he's wrong but I have grounds to argue I guess since they record all the calls and there's proof. Although even the $100 is not bad already lar haha.
vince123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #72

Haha, actually I'm not too surprised as the masses probably see regard cashback as being more straightforward whilst miles game has some learning curve. Having said that, apart from preferring miles, I actually find it more trouble some to remember to comply with the "min spend XXX per calendar/statement month" on cashback cards.
I actually gave up doing cashbacks because of the ever changing T&Cs and exclusions and inability to maximize cashbacks based on my spending pattern. Having explored the miles game, I actually found it more... palatable between the two.
vince123123 likes this.
fitlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #73

With my spending pattern each month, I need at least 4-5 cashback cards each with ~$1000 spending cap to maximise savings. It's already hard enough to keep track of some 4mpd card limitations, I don't even dare to imagine keeping track of every single billing cycle, min spend, spend cap etc for cashback cards :x

If I were to go for cashbacks, I would have probably just used TCB or SCB unlimited for no fuss 1.5% everything LOL.

Do be a little cautious about relying on the other party's recordings as they are under no obligation to provide you with a copy if a dispute does arise. Without a copy they can always say "That's not how we interpret the call". It is usually advisable to make your own copy of the recording if you foresee possible trouble ahead.
This. I always record each and every phone call to any bank or agency, to avoid future complications. With every telco offering free local phone line, all you need is a DECT phone that comes with recording feature.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #74
Supremacy Member

Is there like an app for that? Didn't know we could record calls haha (sorry noob).

I'm thinking even if they don't let me have the recording, it's undeniable (provided they acknowledge that there was a recording) that the cso's exact words were "yes mam, you are entitled to 1.5% cashback even if you apply the 0% IPP which will get you the $100 Harvey Norman voucher."

Like... How do you get out of that?

But that being said, I'm not too bothered about losing the $33+ since the $100 voucher is still a good deal as my hubby was going to get the tv on that day anyway and I couldn't have signed up with any other CCs for cashback in time.
denial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #75

Few days ago I booked econ sq to osaka only $600+ nett per pax.

Based on 6% casbhack my spending needed was $10k, if miles card at 4mpd 40k miles can fly to osaka?
Yachtmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.