HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Citibank Citi Rewards Card

Like Tree357Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #46
Master Member

I believe I have experienced what he's talking about.

Based on the old system of earning points, $5 = 1pt. Let's say I spent $500. So I would expect there to be 100pts earned.

But the actual figure may be lower.

I don't know exactly why this happens. My theory is that while we look at the total value, on their end, they might not. For example, let's say there is a $9 line item. Since the condition is every $5 earns 1pt, for a $9 line item, only 1pt is earned. With a few more line items like this, it adds up and we end up with lesser pts than expected if we were just to look at the total amt.

I used to track the points earned closely last time. Now I don't care that much liao. Right or wrong, I also never go pursue...So I don't bother tracking anymore.
that is considered right.
in short, you earn by per transaction. not by total spending for that statement
+ installments dont count in.
Old 25-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #47

I don't know exactly why this happens. My theory is that while we look at the total value, on their end, they might not. For example, let's say there is a $9 line item. Since the condition is every $5 earns 1pt, for a $9 line item, only 1pt is earned. With a few more line items like this, it adds up and we end up with lesser pts than expected if we were just to look at the total amt.
Precisely the equation is not that easy. We earn what we pay per transaction. For that, most people say it is not worth it to go for these point card systems. Like what that is mention you miss out on 1 point just because of a dollar.
($9 = 1 point, $10 = 2 point). Some people are willing to be "calculative" and go all out to make sure they get "just nice" but after some time it can get tiring and yarh we wont be so bothered.

To make matters worse its quite unclear what spending falls under what category. My expenses fall more on retail shopping so we see how this card can be better than my clear card....
mohamadhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #48
Supremacy Member

I don't have installments payments on this card...so I'm not sure. But I recall reading that somewhere in the fine-print too. OT a bit, on UOB's ONE card, the installment payments goes towards hitting the $300/$800 target every mth. I usually pay for huge-ticket items using installments on this card.

Precisely the equation is not that easy. We earn what we pay per transaction. For that, most people say it is not worth it to go for these point card systems. Like what that is mention you miss out on 1 point just because of a dollar.
($9 = 1 point, $10 = 2 point). Some people are willing to be "calculative" and go all out to make sure they get "just nice" but after some time it can get tiring and yarh we wont be so bothered.

To make matters worse its quite unclear what spending falls under what category. My expenses fall more on retail shopping so we see how this card can be better than my clear card....
My theory is this...Right now for my Clear card, the 5X points for me generally fall under cafe and cinemas. The amts spent at these places are small. For the Rewards card, it is likely that I will only hit a 10X only at G2000 when I buy my work clothes. But the spending amt will be much higher (compared to cafe and cinema) so the "bonus" points earned should be much higher. This is why I want to switch to this card instead.
locksleychang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Master Member

I don't have installments payments on this card...so I'm not sure. But I recall reading that somewhere in the fine-print too. OT a bit, on UOB's ONE card, the installment payments goes towards hitting the $300/$800 target every mth. I usually pay for huge-ticket items using installments on this card.
Yap, thus i will try to put all my installment plans under ONE card instead. Last time put 2 installments under CTB then quite regret. I think i will still use AMEX rewards card ba.
CTB alot of restrictions and like mentioned by someone before.. seems like alot "hidden clause/super fine prints" lol.
Old 28-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #50

oK finally got the card... normal lei... nothing special like extra freebies or discount coupons or etc... but sad my card abit scrtch lei can change or not?
Old 28-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #51
Supremacy Member

oK finally got the card... normal lei... nothing special like extra freebies or discount coupons or etc... but sad my card abit scrtch lei can change or not?
I applied about one week ago and sent in the documents the next day. On Monday a lady called me to remind me to send in the documents and I told her I already did. Till now I haven't heard anything. The card hasn't appeared when I log in to my account neither.
locksleychang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #52
Supremacy Member

i recieve a call last tues to send in my documents and today rcv another call my card is approve.
so they really need 5 working days to approve card application.
v0dka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #53

anyone know what is the required annual income for the card?
bathingtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #54
Supremacy Member

anyone know what is the required annual income for the card?
seems like it's $40k according to the site
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #55
Supremacy Member

interested in applying.. looks gd if wanna accum points...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #56
Supremacy Member

what do you guys think, is this card better or the uob preffered plat card?

in terms of collecting points...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #57

what do you guys think, is this card better or the uob preffered plat card?

in terms of collecting points...
Well it depends on your expenditure really....

Extracted from its "fine prints" on its 10X rewards...
Applicable for transactions made with Citi Rewards Card at any department store worldwide or any retail store worldwide that sells clothes, shoes and bags as its main business activity.

Like the previous post this can be quite "ambigous".... Well i have not used it at all even though had it for over a week.... hope its applicable at Mustaffa my favourite "deparmental" store.... another is Sportslink they sell all; clothes shoes and bags but hmmm.....

Anyway if i extract from another card the Citi Platinum.... Mustaffa doesnt seem to be in the list....

Citi Platinum Card 5X Rewards Merchants
Department Stores
Tangs . Isetan . John Little . Marks & Spencer . Metro . OG . Robinsons . BHG . Takashimaya Department Store.

So my fave store may not be included.... sad....
Will update you people once i start getting points....

and btw yarh u need 40K Per annum to qualify.... based on the website but sometimes its not the case....
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #58

Anyone holding the citi pm card and applied for this card? Which is better for miles accumulation? I understand for shopping the rewards card is better but how about dinning? Not sure whether to get the rewards card.
terriblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #59

Anyone holding the citi pm card and applied for this card? Which is better for miles accumulation? I understand for shopping the rewards card is better but how about dinning? Not sure whether to get the rewards card.
Well it depends on what most of your money goes to. Im having 3 cards Premiermiles, Dividend and this. Reason being when it comes to Dining and Petrol, Dividend is the best(not comparing to other banks). Rewards is good for shopping as mentioned if you compare the 10X Points it makes a huge difference. Let me cite an example.

You need 60000 KrisFlyer miles for a return trip to HongKong via SIA.
This equivalent to 150000 Points(5 rewards points = 2 Krisflyer miles) or 60000 CitiMiles(1 C.M = 1 K.M).

So if its expenditure via departmental stores or shops selling clothes shoes and bags. It will only be 15000 in spending. That equates to roughly about $1250 per month.

But if you take it based on Premiermiles card... you need to spend on average $5000 per month. Quite impossible if you ask me unless you have damn big pockets.... However they have the $1 = 2 CM if your monthly expenses is above $4000. So if you can spend that every month u need only to spend $32000.

I do have an excel file done up for this do pm me and i can share it with you. i dont know how to upload files...

Last edited by mohamadhafiz; 06-11-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #60
Master Member

It's an idea copied from Amex.

Funny that Premiermiles is no longer premier.

Boohoo
tycosiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.