HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EZLink or NETS Flashpay with credit cards

Like Tree116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #1456
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just signed POSB Everyday Credit Master Card and applied online fr EZ-reload. 3 questions I hope ppl can help.

1) Do you guys select top up amount of $20 or $50? i selected $20 since no convenience fee per top up. and tot with more transactions it will count towards my Credit Status next time if wanna waive anything in the future.

2) The reason i signed this card is coz of the convenience fee waiver for POSB Cards. But I received an SMS saying my first transactions is $20.25? Do they charge first then reimburse the 25c? If so, means reimbursement is end of the month instead of only charging $20 each time per top up?

3) When I went to the Ezlink website, I had to choose between GIRO or Credit Card. I chose credit card. What is the diff?

Thanks all for advice!
jerichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #1457
Master Member

Just to share.......currently ongoing promotion Flashpay replacement program.
Done and they transferred my ezlink value over.

https://www.nets.com.sg/consumer/pro...aced-mrt-card3
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 16-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #1458

Can I check what is the benefit of ATU when there is a service fee involved? Isnt topping up via GTM a better option since there is no service charge now?
Am I missing out something here.

What would be the best cc to top up via GTM (rebates/points/mileage)
THanks!
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Mun-chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #1459
Master Member

Topping up manually no rebate
~Dragonite~ likes this.
hyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #1460

Thanks. But I understand ATU is not immediate, hence there are times where the credits are not available immediately.

If we were to utilize CC for topping up via GTM, which card will is recommended?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 20-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1461

ATU has always been immediate for me. The only caveat is that low value top-up trigger event has to be on public transport, then will trigger top-up. Paying with insufficient value at normal retailers won't trigger topup.

I'm using ATU with BOC Family Card which gives 5% cashback on first four topups of the month. It's a nett gain even with the $0.50 topup fee.

I thought CC topup transactions on GTM would be excluded transactions by most CCs' T&C? I could be wrong.

Thanks. But I understand ATU is not immediate, hence there are times where the credits are not available immediately.

If we were to utilize CC for topping up via GTM, which card will is recommended?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
wealth_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #1462
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nets flashpay ATU occur immediately if there is insufficient fund when taking public transport, ERP or CEPAS enabled carpark. Restriction is min 4 days between ATU on the same nets flashpay card.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Trazora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #1463
High Supremacy Member

just registered to activate the Nets Flashpay on my UOB direct Debit card...

hopefully it will be activated successfully in 2 days time.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #1464

ATU has always been immediate for me. The only caveat is that low value top-up trigger event has to be on public transport, then will trigger top-up. Paying with insufficient value at normal retailers won't trigger topup.

I'm using ATU with BOC Family Card which gives 5% cashback on first four topups of the month. It's a nett gain even with the $0.50 topup fee.

I thought CC topup transactions on GTM would be excluded transactions by most CCs' T&C? I could be wrong.

Thanks, I have the same thought that many CC transaction on GTM would be excluded but would like to know if anyone has experience of tapping on CC benefit for such top up at GTM instead.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 20-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #1465

Thanks, I have the same thought that many CC transaction on GTM would be excluded but would like to know if anyone has experience of tapping on CC benefit for such top up at GTM instead.
good luck getting an ans for this. we all learnt the hard way.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
silverbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #1466

Because public transport is generally discretionary/un-avoidable spending and most sane people aren't incentivised to take more public transport than required due to rebates/miles etc., CC's marketing departments will expect almost 0% returns from such rebates (unlike say, rebates for dining). So of cause they identify such spend and exclude it - money saved is money earned. (Citibank SMRT cc is an exception)

The great thing about bureaucracy is that the marketing departments, IT/technical departments and legal departments don't always communicate properly
  • Where IT doesn't get the memo from Marketing, the computer system doesn't flag up such transactions for exclusion from rebates and your unexpected and undeserved rebates will just land in your account like manna to the Jews. This tends to last for a few months until "social media influencers" publish lengthy guides on this... then Marketing sends IT a sternly worded email and it quickly stops working without notice.
  • Where Legal doesn't get the memo from Marketing, it doesn't appear in the T&C as an exclusion and a stern call from you to the CSO reminding them the meaning of "contractual breach" and what Singapore's courts think of "contra proferentem" doctrines would almost certainly get it manually credited - ONCE - before the next revised T&C will almost inevitably be published permanently putting and end to this avenue (for this specific card)

Current status? There are no known SG based cards for which IT and Legal hasn't gotten the memo - the last one (DBS Debit paywave) which paid out 5% for GTM top-ups was just fixed last month - the loophole for open for over half a year.

But whenever a new entrant comes into play, be sure to look out for either IT/Legal "missing the memo" It is not as uncommon as you expect - and enjoy while they last!
BlueRiver, juelim and ~Dragonite~ like this.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #1467
Master Member

Tapping on at GTM machine - AFAIK nothing.

Online by using Ezlink app on Android - there is still at least HSBC Rev card limited with $200/mo with 2m/$ spent. I have not checked cashback cards.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #1468
High Supremacy Member

i just received the activation code for Nets Flashpay but I am having some issues with my card & the Android Nets Flashpay app to activate the Auto top up.

I removed my phone casing After I switched on the NFC and I placed my card on the back of my phone. the NFC is near the rear camera.

And automatically, the Nets Flashpay app launches... It will take about 1 sec to read my card the next error pops up:
CARD NOT READ! Please remove the phone case and / or use compatible device the latest firmware.

Below are some info about my phone and my UOB debit card.

Phone Samsung A5
Model: SM-A500G
Android Security path level: 2017-03-01
Baseband version: A500GXXU1BQC1 (Latest)

Card: UOB Direct Debit Visa (Just received this card one week ago)

anyone can help here?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #1469

i just received the activation code for Nets Flashpay but I am having some issues with my card & the Android Nets Flashpay app to activate the Auto top up.

I removed my phone casing After I switched on the NFC and I placed my card on the back of my phone. the NFC is near the rear camera.

And automatically, the Nets Flashpay app launches... It will take about 1 sec to read my card the next error pops up:
CARD NOT READ! Please remove the phone case and / or use compatible device the latest firmware.

Phone Samsung A5

anyone can help here?
y dont u visit a transitlink office and ask the officer to help to activate?. just past your activation code sms to him. faster this way rather than solving your phone tech issues.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 22-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #1470

Phone Samsung A5

anyone can help here?
10. What items am I required to bring for the Auto Top-Up activation at TransitLink Ticket Office?

Please bring along the following items:

a. Your NETS FlashPay Card registered for Auto Top-Up
b. Activation code

https://www.nets.com.sg/support/faqs/faq-nets-flashpay

have u even checked on the FAQ?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Calander is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.