HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ezlink and paywave in same wallet

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By more3cm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Ezlink and paywave in same wallet

Does putting credit card with Ez-link and credit card with paywave in the same wallet affect both cards?

Recently my credit card with Ez-link awals seem to fail on the first attempt when boarding the MRT gantry just say card error.. but 2nd attempt is okay.. and I realise my credit card with paywave take longer to establish connection when paying by visa
Imperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Master Member

No issue with my POSB everyday leh
hyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Does putting credit card with Ez-link and credit card with paywave in the same wallet affect both cards?

Recently my credit card with Ez-link awals seem to fail on the first attempt when boarding the MRT gantry just say card error.. but 2nd attempt is okay.. and I realise my credit card with paywave take longer to establish connection when paying by visa

ezlink -what card(posb? citismrt?)
paywave -what card?
Old 27-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

paywave -what card?
Seems like most bank cards can ezlink or netsfp together with paywave paypass
ilovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Different "ip"
chopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Yes both Ez-Link and Paywave uses the same NFC (physical layer) standard and the same frequency. By doing so multiple payment methods (application layer) can share the same antenna, since space is limited on the same credit card.

Both your Ezlink and PayWave cards are passive until energized by a reader, both will transmit according to the specification to tell the reader that someone is there. Since this transmission is from different cards on the same frequency at almost the same time, they interfere each other. Mecham like 2 persons talking to you at the same time and very hard to listen properly.

Within the same card however there is no such interference even with multiple payment methods present since the relevant payment method will be known through the interrogation process. Somewhat like me talking to you, although I know English and Russian I will ask u which one u can understand and only talk to you in that tongue. I don't speak English and Russian at the same time.
saint88 and louist like this.
more3cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #7

U muz be working as a product manager there
hogrider88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

i was referring to different credit cards not all functions on the same card

paywave -what card?
ezlink - frank
paywave - uob preferred plantinum/ dbs altitude

Yes both Ez-Link and Paywave uses the same NFC (physical layer) standard and the same frequency. By doing so multiple payment methods (application layer) can share the same antenna, since space is limited on the same credit card.

Both your Ezlink and PayWave cards are passive until energized by a reader, both will transmit according to the specification to tell the reader that someone is there. Since this transmission is from different cards on the same frequency at almost the same time, they interfere each other. Mecham like 2 persons talking to you at the same time and very hard to listen properly.

Within the same card however there is no such interference even with multiple payment methods present since the relevant payment method will be known through the interrogation process. Somewhat like me talking to you, although I know English and Russian I will ask u which one u can understand and only talk to you in that tongue. I don't speak English and Russian at the same time.
i seeee, thats why everytime i take train and bus sometime i get a error.. so the only way is to use and store them separately yea?

How about visa transaction on the paywave card? seems to be as time goes by the machine takes longer to dial to the server.. like 20 sec that kind of delay.. or is totally isolated case? Happens to a few merchant already though
Old 28-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #9

so the only way is to use and store them separately yea?
You can theoretically shield the paywave card by aluminium foil... just that it's a double edge sword which may also foil the communication between your Flashpay card and reader.
How about visa transaction on the paywave card? seems to be as time goes by the machine takes longer to dial to the server.. like 20 sec that kind of delay.. or is totally isolated case? Happens to a few merchant already though
The diff between a regular visa swipe and paywave is how the card info is obtained. The credit card machine reads either the micro chip or magnetic strip, while in paywave this is obtained wirelessly thru NFC. After that the steps of authentication is the same. So I suppose the slow dialing has nothing to do with paywave but u just suay...
more3cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #10

You can theoretically shield the paywave card by aluminium foil... just that it's a double edge sword which may also foil the communication between your Flashpay card and reader.

The diff between a regular visa swipe and paywave is how the card info is obtained. The credit card machine reads either the micro chip or magnetic strip, while in paywave this is obtained wirelessly thru NFC. After that the steps of authentication is the same. So I suppose the slow dialing has nothing to do with paywave but u just suay...
hmm alright.. thank you! wonder why nobody ask this issue though.. bet most people have paywave and flashpay ezlink in the same wallet
Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #11

hmm alright.. thank you! wonder why nobody ask this issue though.. bet most people have paywave and flashpay ezlink in the same wallet
because there are so many NFC cards in the wallet, Paywave, Masterpass, EZlink, Flashpay, Amex NFC.. most people would just take out the card from the wallet and tell the cashier they wanna tap via the exact method (Paywave, Masterpass, EZLink, Flashpay, Amex tap)..

if you simply tap your wallet, the NFC terminal woundn't read ur mind to know which card you want to use... and would detect multiple cards..
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #12

because there are so many NFC cards in the wallet, Paywave, Masterpass, EZlink, Flashpay, Amex NFC.. most people would just take out the card from the wallet and tell the cashier they wanna tap via the exact method (Paywave, Masterpass, EZLink, Flashpay, Amex tap)..

if you simply tap your wallet, the NFC terminal woundn't read ur mind to know which card you want to use... and would detect multiple cards..
hmm cause i saw most ppl is tap their wallet at the gantry rather then just taking out the card but yea.. prolly i will just take out the card haha.. thanks!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.