HELP - Citibank's Dispute

irenecsn73

Reaction score
Dear All,

Advise needed.
I have a charged on my card for GBP300 (S$558.14), unauthorised charge made on 22June2018 at "HOME BAR & KITCHEN" Ickenham, London.
I received a message from Citibank about the suspicious usage of my card around 3.28am, quickly revert to them ard 9.30am when i woke up but its too late.
I opened a dispute case on the very same day 22June2018 ..... 3 months later, on 26Sept2018 received a letter from Citibank that the Case is now Closed BUT THE DISPUTED AMOUNT HAS TO BE BORNE BY ME !!!!!

Called them and was told that investigation has been done & concluded that my physical card has been used there coz there is NO WAY THAT THE CHIPS ON THE CARD CAN BE DUPLICATED.

This is seriously ridiculous... the card has been with me all the time till now. I didnt travel to London at that time nor anyone elses with my card.

I was demand to pay the S$558.14 for transaction that i didnt make.

ANYONE FACING THE SAME ISSUE?
PLEASE HELP

Message & Letter from Citibank

23Jun2018 Message on the suspicious transaction 1/2
wq1i3X

23Jun2018 Message on the suspicious transaction 2/2
8X04B7

26Sep2018 Letter from Citibank 1/2
XS844B

26Sept2018 Letter from Citibank 2/2
61AXH9

TIMELINE :
23Jun2018 3.48am - Received message on the suspicious transaction

23Jun2018 9.06am - Replied the text and called the bank to notify them & cancel my card

04Oct2018 - Received the letter dated 26Sep2018 that I have to bear the amount used

04Oct2018 1.00pm - Called the bank, was told nothing can be done. Requested a call back from the
manager of the dispute team.

05Oct2018 4.30pm - Called MAS regarding this issue & was referred a Citibank's officer no to contact

05Oct2018 5.00pm - Called Citibank officer, she will discuss with the relevant team and revert next week

07Oct2018 2.40pm - Received a call back that I requested on 04Oct2018 with the customer service. A
Service Manager called me instead of someone from the dispute team. Told me the letter
was FINAL. THE ONLY THING I CAN DO NOW IS TO REPORT POLICE !!!!

I am so so frustrated with CITIBANK

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"The banks agreed to limit liability to $100 before the loss is reported, as long as the cardholder has not acted fraudulently or negligently and reports the loss in a “timely” manner."

https://www.todayonline.com/business/contesting-credit-card-charge

Dun quite understand why you raise the dispute case only 3 months later.

You can bring up the matter to CASE to fight your case.

Last edited:

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
If physical card has been used, then there should be a transaction slip printed by terminal. Ask the bank to send you a copy of the Merchant txn slip with signature. Pay for it if you have to.

Then counter them with the signature signed on txn slip does not tally with bank's record. Afterwards, claim reimbursements for all the hassle they have caused.

Good luck.

irenecsn73

Reaction score
If physical card has been used, then there should be a transaction slip printed by terminal. Ask the bank to send you a copy of the Merchant txn slip with signature. Pay for it if you have to.

Then counter them with the signature signed on txn slip does not tally with bank's record. Afterwards, claim reimbursements for all the hassle they have caused.

Good luck.

I did ask them about the signature but was told that some transactions dont required signature i.e contactless transaction.
Hence, they do not have it ....

Last edited:

irenecsn73

Reaction score
"The banks agreed to limit liability to $100 before the loss is reported, as long as the cardholder has not acted fraudulently or negligently and reports the loss in a “timely” manner."

Dun quite understand why you raise the dispute case only 3 months later.

You can bring up the matter to CASE to fight your case.

Thanks for the reply.
I brought it to their attention immediately on 23Jun once i saw the message but only after 3 months (26Sept) that they revert back on the outcome.

$100 is still not enough to cover the $558.14

Last edited:

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score
Call up and dispute the charges. If you didnt even travel out of the country (can provide passport as evidence) how could you have made the payment. Obviously there is problem with their card security, don't make their mistake your problem to bear.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did ask them about the signature but was told that some transactions dont required signature i.e contactless transaction.
Hence, they do not have it ....

Hmm. Seems like they are just trying to sweep you away. They first say Chip cannot be duplicated then they say contactless transaction. Apparently they did not actually do the investigation if they not even sure what is the mode of payment.

Reaction score
not sure what is the best way to resolve this with Citibank.
but to avoid similar incident to happen again, maybe it is advisable to get a replacement card.
personally, i would terminate the account, cancel the card

irenecsn73

Reaction score
not sure what is the best way to resolve this with Citibank.
but to avoid similar incident to happen again, maybe it is advisable to get a replacement card.
personally, i would terminate the account, cancel the card

Thanks.
Already done immediately once I was notify on the usage.

I am so confused on the outcome, I have same experienced with Amex but was handled so professionally. This is the worst outcome one could imagine.

$558 .... not $5.58

irenecsn73

Reaction score
Write to MAS and ABS and see how Citi investigate the case.

Noted with thanks.

They told me that the CHIPS ON THE CARD Cant be duplicated. Think they are too naive to think so. My case obviously proven them wrong.

fun4life

Reaction score
Call up and dispute the charges. If you didnt even travel out of the country (can provide passport as evidence) how could you have made the payment. Obviously there is problem with their card security, don't make their mistake your problem to bear.

Just for discussion: is this argument strong enough to prove the card not "travel" too, if Shitybank to argue back like that?

arigatoast

Reaction score
Noted with thanks.

They told me that the CHIPS ON THE CARD Cant be duplicated. Think they are too naive to think so. My case obviously proven them wrong.

exactly. it can be duplicated. my citibank pm card also got used in JB to pump petrol not by me. called in and manage to refund back to me.

irenecsn73

Reaction score
Two duplication techniques that break Chip, both surprisingly common.
1) stole magnetic stripe info and used it at a POS when stripe was allowed by your bank (i.e overseas use activated)
2) stole data using a infected POS. Copied data into custom card. See

Exactly ... what make them think that the CHIP cant be duplicated? Tot this scam is very common these days. I doubt they never faced this issue b4

irenecsn73

Reaction score

I did but they kind of trying to hint that eventho i am not the one travel, my card can be passed to someone elses to use.

BUT in actual fact, I didnt use it and i wont be paying for it

Smokey.B

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree that u shld bring this case up to MAS to investigate. So u did not pay the $500 yet and incurring late and interest fees ?

irenecsn73

Reaction score
Just for discussion: is this argument strong enough to prove the card not "travel" too, if Shitybank to argue back like that?

I understand your point ....

In fact, they did sense that the transaction is suspicious, that is why they sent me a message to confirm on the validity of the transaction but it was in the middle of the night and i only saw it in the morning.

irenecsn73

Reaction score
Agree that u shld bring this case up to MAS to investigate. So u did not pay the $500 yet and incurring late and interest fees ?

Any idea how to go about submitting the case to MAS?

Anyone here done b4, appreciate your advise.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.