HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to avoid Dynamic Currency Conversion scam?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #16

Insist on local currency charge. i.e. HKD RMB, USD, Euro. Tell the cashier when you hand your credit card to them.

No such thing as auto-dcc. If they insist, ask to speak to the General Manager (hotel/restaurant).

If got merchant try that on me, I just walk off.

If the charge slip is not local currency, I throw back at the merchant and I don't sign.

Simple. I never have any issue with DCC.

I travelled the world, I fvcking know my rights, I have never met a cashier I cannot out-reason.
I was in one of big DFS shop in PEK. It was over RMB2,000 transactions when I chose RMB on the slip they told me that the transaction has been charged in RMB. I told them to change and they told me they need to make a call for the reversal.

As I am catching flight and afraid it will result in double charge, I give in. Anyway this is China.

Anyway, may be I should try to dispute it with HSBC and see what will be the outcome.
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #17

I was in one of big DFS shop in PEK. It was over RMB2,000 transactions when I chose RMB on the slip they told me that the transaction has been charged in RMB. I told them to change and they told me they need to make a call for the reversal.

As I am catching flight and afraid it will result in double charge, I give in. Anyway this is China.

Anyway, may be I should try to dispute it with HSBC and see what will be the outcome.
i ever encoutered the same in Holister shop in HK, the sales girl insisted that payment made in HKD and i did tick the HKD box.
Later on when I tried to call Citibank, they act blur and even asked me to call the merchant myself and gave me a number. wth, it's already made.
I should have simply dispute the charge since I did tick the option in HKD and 100% sure I will win the case. so you guys if you have an option to tick the currency but in the end it didnt work, just dispute and request the bank to pull out the charge slip...

As I travelled often to China where the DCC scam is like EVERYWHERE, the way to handle quite easy- for personal non-claimable charges, use ICBC Singapore issued dual currency unionpay card. Any charges can be claimed from coy, simply swipe AMEX.
D_B_M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Banned

is it really a scam?

last time i compare scb charged a bit higher if i choose foreign currency.
654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #19

Have you been to China?
All the time. Why?

China or Europe. If I tell you, charge in local currency (用人民币结算) and you still bring me the charge slip in SGD (my cc currency). I will ask you "Are you new?" and kan you on the spot.

So yes, while DCC are prevalent in China, no one has succeeded in charging my card using DCC.

C'mon, its about standing up for your rights at that point, rather than kenna DCC and come to HWZ and whine about it right?

All that nonsense on the charge going through and done deal? Man, do you understand how the cc work in the first place.

I don't know about you but my mandarin is native fluency, so the cashier do understand my request.

Last edited by redglue23; 29-05-2013 at 01:13 PM..
redglue23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #20

All the time. Why?

China or Europe. If I tell you, charge in local currency (用人民币结算) and you still bring me the charge slip in SGD (my cc currency). I will ask you "Are you new?" and kan you on the spot.

So yes, while DCC are prevalent in China, no one has succeeded in charging my card using DCC.

C'mon, its about standing up for your rights at that point, rather than kenna DCC and come to HWZ and whine about it right?

All that nonsense on the charge going through and done deal? Man, do you understand how the cc work in the first place.

I don't know about you but my mandarin is native fluency, so the cashier do understand my request.
most of the time the cashier really have no idea of what u are talking abt, to them, they swipe the card per normal and the transaction slip printed, that's all what they know.
Unless the banks (esp notorious Bank of China/HSBC which almost 100% of their POS machines are DCC enabled) train the cashiers properly- however, banks intentionally not to train- pls dont be angry with the cashiers since they really dont know what you are talking abt...
Ever read a thread abt how to avoid been DCCed by bank of china machines, it's like super complicated and the window period for the cashier to opt-out the DCC function is like a few seconds only. For a cashier earning less than S$500/mth, do u expect them to know how to operate?
D_B_M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #21

I went to China many times and i always have no problems charging to local currency. But that was like 3-4 years ago. Is this DCC a recent phenomenon? Maybe is a problem only in certain countries, e.g China.
sunrise_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #22

most of the time the cashier really have no idea of what u are talking abt, to them, they swipe the card per normal and the transaction slip printed, that's all what they know.
Unless the banks (esp notorious Bank of China/HSBC which almost 100% of their POS machines are DCC enabled) train the cashiers properly- however, banks intentionally not to train- pls dont be angry with the cashiers since they really dont know what you are talking abt...
Ever read a thread abt how to avoid been DCCed by bank of china machines, it's like super complicated and the window period for the cashier to opt-out the DCC function is like a few seconds only. For a cashier earning less than S$500/mth, do u expect them to know how to operate?
My protocol/SOP is this:

If the cashier don't understand "用人民币结算". ----> Ask "Is this your first day?", then ask the manager to come out, if manager still don't know "用人民币结算". Then I walk out. You can call the cops to come after me. It is not I don't want to pay, it is your inability (even at manager level) to work the cc terminal POS system that don't allow me to pay. I will not be difficult at the cashier level, but at manager level, yes.

Usually at the manager stage, the cc terminal POS system will somehow miraculously be able to 用人民币结算 and hence avoid the DCC.
zoossh likes this.

Last edited by redglue23; 29-05-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 29-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #23

My protocol/SOP is this:

If the cashier don't understand "用人民币结算". ----> Ask "Is this your first day?", then ask the manager to come out, if manager still don't know "用人民币结算". Then I walk out. You can call the cops to come after me. It is not I don't want to pay, it is your inability (even at manager level) to work the cc terminal POS system that don't allow me to pay. I will not be difficult at the cashier level, but at manager level, yes.

Usually at the manager stage, the cc terminal POS system will somehow miraculously be able to 用人民币结算 and hence avoid the DCC.
So when they give you a slip with both SGD and RMB indicated, and they swear that it is charged in RMB, what are you going to do? Then when it says SGD on the bill at the month then what? Go back to China to kan the cashier?

99.9% of the time, it is not the cashier's fault. Most of the time, it is not the manager's fault either. This is how the f***ed up POS machine works, to automatically apply DCC and no one ever taught them how to override.

Maybe my Putonghua sucks, but when my colleague who is a native Beijinger cannot get the cashier to understand, I doubt it's due to a lack of language prowess.

So, yes, I can do the same and create a scene & walk out and dare them to call the cops. But frankly, you are in someone else's country and there is no reason to be a dick. If the situation is reversed and a PRC is abusing a local cashier for not understanding DCC, he would probably be lynched on stomp or edmw. Anyway, we know of workarounds to avoid the DCC problem (Amex/Unionpay). Why create a scene and face possible legal repercussions?
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #24

So when they give you a slip with both SGD and RMB indicated, and they swear that it is charged in RMB, what are you going to do? Then when it says SGD on the bill at the month then what? Go back to China to kan the cashier?
99.9% of the time, it is not the cashier's fault. Most of the time, it is not the manager's fault either. This is how the f***ed up POS machine works, to automatically apply DCC and no one ever taught them how to override.

Maybe my Putonghua sucks, but when my colleague who is a native Beijinger cannot get the cashier to understand, I doubt it's due to a lack of language prowess.

So, yes, I can do the same and create a scene & walk out and dare them to call the cops. But frankly, you are in someone else's country and there is no reason to be a dick. If the situation is reversed and a PRC is abusing a local cashier for not understanding DCC, he would probably be lynched on stomp or edmw. Anyway, we know of workarounds to avoid the DCC problem (Amex/Unionpay). Why create a scene and face possible legal repercussions?
Dude, you should just stay in Singapore and not go out. You sound like you have totally no experience using cc overseas. Look before you sign?

This DCC is very simple, I cannot fanthom why you struggle with this. Or anyone needs to struggle with this. You don't stand up and insist on local currency charge, then accept the DCC, pay up and suck thumb, no need to come here and whine.

I don't need to create a scene, I will tell the cashier/manager what I have written here. All of them understand it.

Maybe you should re-read what I have typed here.

Last edited by redglue23; 29-05-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Old 29-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #25

My response to PM

Hello,

Well, thanks for sharing ideas how to avoid DCC in China, but I have couple of problems. I am from States, do not speak a single work in Mandarin and need to go there some time this August/September.

If the problem is with native speakers, I could imagine what kind of problem could be with foreigners. Any advice? Should I just print out what you write and show it to them?
You can. But before you sign on the charge slip make sure the amount is quoted in RMB. I always circle the RMB amount and then sign so that if there is a dispute, my intention to be billed in RMB at that point can be documented.

My take is that chances are, you will not be the only tourist or foreigner that will make this request (there are thousands if not millions before you) so the situation of cashier feigning ignorance is really not an issue.

In worst case ask to speak to a manager, as I do if I cannot get the point to the cashier, the managers are paid more, more educated, and have more experience with cc POS terminal so there is really no excuse at their level.

For those who want to avoid DCC. My jaw will drop if merchants (cashiers/manager) tell me they don't know how to use their POS cc terminal. Seriously, don't be so gullible.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

Honestly people, whats the fuss? Its just 2-3%. If flying for holidays, it won't be much anyway. If flying for work, why bother when grandpa is paying?

If exchange rates is an issue, just pay cash lah, you guys won't even need to deal with the bank exchange rate. Don't you guys have better things to worry about?

[IMG]http://openflights.org/banner/inix.png[/IMG]
Inix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #27

Dude, you should just stay in Singapore and not go out. You sound like you have totally no experience using cc overseas. Look before you sign?
Yes. Silly me. Obviously don't know what I am talking about. I must be the only idiot in this forum to have faced this issue because I cannot communicate with the dumb cashier in Chinese.

Oh wait, there are literally pages of this crap in every forums dealing with credit card usage. Somehow the rest of us are just dumb. Sorry for taking up your time.

This DCC is very simple, I cannot fanthom why you struggle with this. Or anyone needs to struggle with this. You don't stand up and insist on local currency charge, then accept the DCC, pay up and suck thumb, no need to come here and whine.
Sigh. Ok, maybe it' my English that is bad. So, let me try it again.

I understand DCC very well. I know what it is and what happens and why it happens. I also know that it is inevitable that many cashiers DO NOT KNOW why it is the way it is. I can argue with them and/or their managers and walk out (as you suggested), but I rather avoid the whole problem by using Amex or Unionpay card.

See? No DCC problem anymore. No heartburn, no confrontation, everyone happy.

You want to fight with someone in a foreign country, be my guest. I guess with your native fluent Chinese, you can explain to the gong an ju why you refuse to pay.

I don't need to create a scene, I will tell the cashier/manager what I have written here. All of them understand it.

Maybe you should re-read what I have typed here.
OK. Let me see...

Then I walk out. You can call the cops to come after me.
So, again, maybe it's just my English is bad, but this sounds like creating a scene to me.
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #28

Honestly people, whats the fuss? Its just 2-3%. If flying for holidays, it won't be much anyway. If flying for work, why bother when grandpa is paying?

If exchange rates is an issue, just pay cash lah, you guys won't even need to deal with the bank exchange rate. Don't you guys have better things to worry about?
Another solution is just to stay in Singapore.
gesheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #29

the fuss is becos bank will not award the double miles for overseas txn if it is charged in SGD.
sunrise_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #30

Suleyman, if you cannot handle DCC, just stay in Singapore.

Or if you think it is acceptable for the cashier/manager to tell you, "Sorry we don't know how to operate the POS CC terminal in our shop/hotel", then shut up, accept DCC and stop whining here.

Just because you are dumbfvck enough to accept this excuse doesn't mean that all others here have to. If you have travelled widely enough in China, not all places accept AMEX. If they did accept AMEX, they probably are "advanced" enough to know how to operate the POS CC System.

Those who does not accept DCC, just have to speak up and request to be charged in local currency like I did.

I have posted my experience with DCC and have never allowed them to charge my China (or other foreign) expenses in SGD. Although I am prepared to walk out, I never had the chance because then the POS CC system will miraculously be able to work without DCC. Yes, it is very strange.

Last edited by redglue23; 30-05-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.