HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HSBC credit card balance transfer - retail transactions finance charges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

HSBC credit card balance transfer - retail transactions finance charges

Hi all,

I have taken a balance transfer on HSBC advance credit card. I understand, if I make retail transactions, then I need to pay it in full by manually calculating + the 3% minimum payment for the balance transfer outstanding, then there should be no finance charge for the retail transactions.

But atleast 2 HSBC customer service ladies have told me that retail transactions should not be done on the same card on which balance transfer is done. They say even if I pay in full I will have to incur 25% pa finance charge. Is this something special about HSBC?
revhappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi all,

I have taken a balance transfer on HSBC advance credit card. I understand, if I make retail transactions, then I need to pay it in full by manually calculating + the 3% minimum payment for the balance transfer outstanding, then there should be no finance charge for the retail transactions.

But atleast 2 HSBC customer service ladies have told me that retail transactions should not be done on the same card on which balance transfer is done. They say even if I pay in full I will have to incur 25% pa finance charge. Is this something special about HSBC?
It is norm that you should not spend on the card you do balance transfer from.
Trazora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

It is norm that you should not spend on the card you do balance transfer from.
Hmm, the last time I did balance transfer was with anz credit card 0% and they never charged me for retail transactions when I paid them in full each month.

So is HSBC different or was anz different?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

This link explains my understanding:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...nsfer-1582.php

"To assure that your appliance purchase is paid in full and does not accrue any interest, you will need to make a payment that totals the amount of your purchase plus the minimum amount due."
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.