HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HSBC Visa Infinite card

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #91

I believe it's the same as Maybank's. Need to charge in foreign currencies...I didnt get the $1 - 2miles using Maybank overseas because the hotel/restuarant auto charge me in S$.
It ever happened to me when i charged my hotel bills in china. the hotel is using DCC conversion by local bank of china (which is indeed very popular in china and the worst part is, the operators dont know what happened when u tried to argue with them), and the rate is pre-determined which is much worse than the visa rate and no 5X points for maybank card, wtf.

next time i saw such pos slip came out, i asked them to reverse the transaction and paid by amex.
D_B_M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #92

It ever happened to me when i charged my hotel bills in china. the hotel is using DCC conversion by local bank of china (which is indeed very popular in china and the worst part is, the operators dont know what happened when u tried to argue with them), and the rate is pre-determined which is much worse than the visa rate and no 5X points for maybank card, wtf.

next time i saw such pos slip came out, i asked them to reverse the transaction and paid by amex.
always ask and confirm before you charge your CC overseas. Ask if they will charge in SGD or local currency. never been to china so not aware but in most cases, hotels do charge in local CCY.

So Inix, you think HSBC infinite visa is better than maybank horizon? Can you please share your experience?
Godmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #93
Arch-Supremacy Member

always ask and confirm before you charge your CC overseas. Ask if they will charge in SGD or local currency. never been to china so not aware but in most cases, hotels do charge in local CCY.

So Inix, you think HSBC infinite visa is better than maybank horizon? Can you please share your experience?
I can't tell you if it is better in your case, but it will be better in mine. I deal in SGD most of the time, and when I'm traveling, I will mainly use Amex.

I'm a sucker for service, and I am using Amex because of their service. As for HSBC, It suits me because it allows my family members to have lounge access irregardless of the flight class or type.

The one which I like the most would be the Taxi Service. I use it quite often, and its really about convenience for me. Lastly, HSBC's points scheme is more logical for me. It offers the same amount of value with more choices, something which I really dislike Maybank for.

[IMG]http://openflights.org/banner/inix.png[/IMG]
Inix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #94

I can't tell you if it is better in your case, but it will be better in mine. I deal in SGD most of the time, and when I'm traveling, I will mainly use Amex.

I'm a sucker for service, and I am using Amex because of their service. As for HSBC, It suits me because it allows my family members to have lounge access irregardless of the flight class or type.

The one which I like the most would be the Taxi Service. I use it quite often, and its really about convenience for me. Lastly, HSBC's points scheme is more logical for me. It offers the same amount of value with more choices, something which I really dislike Maybank for.
Just a thought. Have you confirmed that all sup card holders will get the Priority Pass? Most of the other cards that offer Priority Pass only gives it to the main card holder.

Not sure if you have a Priority Pass before, but a few words of caution on it. One, it is only access for the card holder only. You will need to pay to sign in any guests (it varies depending on the deal HSBC got with Priority Pass, but it should be in the region of $30 per person).

Also, the quality of lounge varies from airport to airport but they are usually not the best. The one in Changi is quite poor, as airport lounges go. It's still better than sitting on the benches with the rest of the peasants but limited in terms of size, and amenities. Finally, during busy times, lounges have also been known to refuse entry to Priority Pass holders.

But if you do a fair bit of travelling without being able to get status with your airline, then I suppose this card would be attractive, even if it means getting less miles/points (unless you can meet that 75k spending. )

Last edited by Suleyman; 01-11-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #95
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just a thought. Have you confirmed that all sup card holders will get the Priority Pass? Most of the other cards that offer Priority Pass only gives it to the main card holder.

Not sure if you have a Priority Pass before, but a few words of caution on it. One, it is only access for the card holder only. You will need to pay to sign in any guests (it varies depending on the deal HSBC got with Priority Pass, but it should be in the region of $30 per person).

Also, the quality of lounge varies from airport to airport but they are usually not the best. The one in Changi is quite poor, as airport lounges go. It's still better than sitting on the benches with the rest of the peasants but limited in terms of size, and amenities. Finally, during busy times, lounges have also been known to refuse entry to Priority Pass holders.

But if you do a fair bit of travelling without being able to get status with your airline, then I suppose this card would be attractive, even if it means getting less miles/points (unless you can meet that 75k spending. )
That's what I was told. I was quite skeptical, and I asked her this twice. But she confirmed, so I thought its a pretty good deal. Lounge for myself isn't really important, and hitting *Gold isn't that tough anyway if one don't park to KF and instead park to Aegean Airlines.

I guess it would be helpful when I'm doing those dastardly SIN - KUL trips on budget because I'm flying so last minute and SQ's timing unfortunately isn't as good as AK and 3K not to mention it costs me $500 for a day tripper.

Life's really a bitch sometimes

Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #96
Arch-Supremacy Member

In cases like this, do NOT use RBS. What RBS will do is to slap another 0.75% surcharge onto your card. If you're paying your own money with it, you just have to pay more. And if you are paying with Company's money, are are screwed. You will need to pay the 0.75% yourself!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #97

I guess it would be helpful when I'm doing those dastardly SIN - KUL trips on budget because I'm flying so last minute and SQ's timing unfortunately isn't as good as AK and 3K not to mention it costs me $500 for a day tripper.

Fair point.
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #98

....no 5X points for maybank card, wtf.
It's wtf, indeed.
GenuineSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #99
Master Member

SIN - CGK and SIN - BKK even worse, distance is longer yet still expected to day trip it sometimes. @&#%

On topic, anyone know if online spend - lets say buying from amazon or wherever, charged in USD - is counted as foreign spend?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #100
Arch-Supremacy Member

SIN - CGK and SIN - BKK even worse, distance is longer yet still expected to day trip it sometimes. @&#%

On topic, anyone know if online spend - lets say buying from amazon or wherever, charged in USD - is counted as foreign spend?
I know the pain. I've done SIN - BKK day trippers several times but its OK because the timing of SQ is good for SIN - BKK. Early morning in, late evening flight, with option to change if I'm early. So I will fly SQ.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #101

Arrow

Alright, just got the card. It has the words "founding member" on it for some reason.

So here are some of the highlights of the perks:
  • Unlimited one-way limousine transfer to Changi Airport
  • Unlimited JetQuay Terminal access, including departure and arrival services
  • Unlimited fast-track immigration at several Asian airports
  • Unlimited Priority Pass access
  • Mileage accrual formula that's will make you go 'hmmm...'. Here's what you earn per S$1 based on Year 1, Year 2 (spend > $50k), Year 2 (spend > $75k)
    Local --> 1 mile, 1.25 miles, 1.5 miles
    Overseas --> 2 miles, 2.25 miles, 2.5 miles

Other perks include (may not be very accurate):
  • Rewards redemption at 10% discount
  • Buttler service (looks similar to some other cards)
  • Travel insurance up to $2 million (common sense dictates that the ticket must be fully paid with the card; it's not mentioned in the booklet)
  • Golfing privileges (free access to 3 golf clubs in Singapore and others oversions + golf insurance)
  • Golden Village (4 for 3 movie tickets; complimentary refrehments at Gold Class Lounges)
  • 5% rebates at Cold Storage, Giant and Guardian (I think this is a standard HSBC thing; there are some restrictions if I recall correctly)
  • Cathay Pacific special fares (I doubt it's 'that special' though)
  • Hotel upgrades, discounts and other privileges
  • Salt grill & Sky bar (priority queue & wait list, free sparkling wine & valet parking)
  • Quaich Bar (complimentary glass of whiskey)
  • Astor Bar (complimentary glass of wine + 15% off subsequent drinks)
  • Esplanade Concert Hall & Theatre (complimentary glass of champagne for every ticket purchased with the card)
  • Hotel dining discount (15% off at Capella, St Regis & Ritz Carlton's Greenhouse)

It is clear that this card targets people who travel more than a few times a year. The local privileges do not stand out much aside from the complimentary drinks and a few other perks.

Last edited by continuum; 03-11-2011 at 10:17 PM..
continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #102

Existing card member will not be offered $248. Even Premier status doesnt help. Only selected customers they said.....
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #103

Alright, just got the card. It has the words "founding member" on it for some reason.

So here are some of the highlights of the perks:
  • Unlimited one-way limousine transfer to Changi Airport
  • Unlimited JetQuay Terminal access, including departure and arrival services
  • Unlimited fast-track immigration at several Asian airports
  • Unlimited Priority Pass access
  • Mileage accrual formula that's will make you go 'hmmm...'. Here's what you earn per S$1 based on Year 1, Year 2 (spend > $50k), Year 2 (spend > $75k)
Thanks for the update...by any chance you know if fee is payable for the miles conversion? cheers
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #104

Existing card member will not be offered $248. Even Premier status doesnt help. Only selected customers they said.....
ic ic. Perhaps only Elite Traveller card holders get to enjoy that rate, because we paid $90 for the Elite Traveller card, which is kind of redundant now that there's Visa Infinite.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #105

Thanks for the update...by any chance you know if fee is payable for the miles conversion? cheers
As far as I know, there is only the $40 (+ GST) annual fee (just like DBS). Conversion should be free of charge.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.