HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New card: AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Ascend

Like Tree117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Ascend

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card | American Express Singapore

Looks interesting. Promo rates are attractive, but unsure if will continue after that.

Last edited by louist; 13-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Changing title
louist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

how does this compare to the amex kf gold card?
*OMFG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Master Member

Improved benefits compared to KF gold - better miles earning rate, 1 nite free complimentary hotel stay, lounge access etc.

but still not compelling. If you are going for miles, only the first 3mths double miles is worth it.
anfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only attractive with the bonus points...
hwmook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

Agreed, just realised it's for 3 months only and not even a year. Now unsure if it's even worth applying for!

Although if there's a complimentary night at a Millenium hotel, maybe I'll apply just for that! Gotta peruse the T&C properly, though.

Improved benefits compared to KF gold - better miles earning rate, 1 nite free complimentary hotel stay, lounge access etc.

but still not compelling. If you are going for miles, only the first 3mths double miles is worth it.

Last edited by louist; 16-04-2013 at 08:52 AM..
louist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Master Member

Agreed, just realised it's for 3 months only and not even a year. Now unsure if it's even worth applying for!

Although if there's a complimentary night at a Millenium hotel, maybe I'll apply just for that! Gotta peruse the T&C properly, though.
not really worth it.

Base earning rate is 0.83miles/$
2x miles is 1.66miles/$
Accelerator is 0.6miles/$ (for spending above $1k a month)

The additional 300 miles for spending above $1k is only applicable to the every additional $500 spending. I.E. you will not get anything additional if you spend only $499. Spending has to make in blocks of $6. 2X miles only applicable for the first $12,000.

In reality, only if you are spending alot on SIA before it is worth it in a calender month. If you spend $12k in a month on SIA air tickets, you get 26,600 miles, i.e. 2.216miles/$ spent (which u can earn up to 4miles/$ with DBS women world card). This is the highest earn rate.

Most of the time, if you are not spending on SIA tickets, you will earn less then 1.43miles/$ spent (lower then UOB privi miles or possibly ANZ card). If you spent only 2k on non-qualifying expenditure, you earn 2,267 miles, which is only a pathetic 1.13 miles/$ spent.
civicguy likes this.
swordspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Useful to get if you have a big charge coming up, as it gives a marginally higher rate than UOB PRVI Miles, with both the accelerator and the bonus 2x miles. As has been noted, without the 2x bonus, the earning rate isn't that great, compared to what we are already getting with UOB PRVI Miles. I'm curious as to what Amex is thinking. You launch a card that is less attractive than existing cards on the market... At least you can see Citibank trying with their Prestige card.

I will probably still apply for the 5k sign up bonus miles, the free hotel stay and the 4 SATS Premier Lounge vounchers. In T2, that is much better than the claustraphobic Krisflyer Gold Lounge or the run down PP lounge.

BTW, I noticed that the Krisflyer Gold Amex Card has been taken down from their website, replaced by this one, I suppose. Guess Amex finally realised what everyone else knew, that the card sucks...
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

I think its worth it for the first 3 months spending + the free hotel stay. After the first 3 months, I'm putting this card aside for good.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Master Member

Card looks good to me... just applied online...
going to charge my wedding cost next month to it to earn miles
civicguy likes this.
ForumRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

I just called to check whether fees are waived for Platinum Charge Card holders (which they do for all other cards), but apparently not.

However, there seem to be additional benefits if you pay first-year fee (waiting for an email now), including samsonite luggage, etc...

(Although.. I would still prefer if they fixed the Charge Cards, which are useless unless you spend a lot of money at 10x partners..)
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Supremacy Member

Useful to get if you have a big charge coming up, as it gives a marginally higher rate than UOB PRVI Miles, with both the accelerator and the bonus 2x miles. As has been noted, without the 2x bonus, the earning rate isn't that great, compared to what we are already getting with UOB PRVI Miles. I'm curious as to what Amex is thinking. You launch a card that is less attractive than existing cards on the market... At least you can see Citibank trying with their Prestige card.

I will probably still apply for the 5k sign up bonus miles, the free hotel stay and the 4 SATS Premier Lounge vounchers. In T2, that is much better than the claustraphobic Krisflyer Gold Lounge or the run down PP lounge.

BTW, I noticed that the Krisflyer Gold Amex Card has been taken down from their website, replaced by this one, I suppose. Guess Amex finally realised what everyone else knew, that the card sucks...
Please correct me if I am wrong but the bonus 2x miles for the first 3 months is for expenditure on anything right? Meaning you get 2 miles per $1.20 spend which works out to be 1.67 miles/$? If so, even without the accelerator, it is still marginally better than privimiles 1.6miles/$. But for the first 3 months only of course.
Old 16-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Master Member

btw just to highlight...to get the free luggage and the bonus miles, u need to pay 1st yr annual fees first.... this is a norm for amex i guess
Old 16-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Please correct me if I am wrong but the bonus 2x miles for the first 3 months is for expenditure on anything right? Meaning you get 2 miles per $1.20 spend which works out to be 1.67 miles/$? If so, even without the accelerator, it is still marginally better than privimiles 1.6miles/$. But for the first 3 months only of course.
Yes, you are right.

btw just to highlight...to get the free luggage and the bonus miles, u need to pay 1st yr annual fees first.... this is a norm for amex i guess
I checked the T&Cs, there is no mention that to get the bonus miles, you need to pay the 1st year annual fees. It did note that you can pay it to get other gifts but you would need to call up to find out what that is.

It did note that the 5k bonus miles are only applicable to first time applicants, so I'm sort of glad now that I never got the KF Gold Amex card... :p
Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Master Member

Yes, you are right.

I checked the T&Cs, there is no mention that to get the bonus miles, you need to pay the 1st year annual fees. It did note that you can pay it to get other gifts but you would need to call up to find out what that is.

It did note that the 5k bonus miles are only applicable to first time applicants, so I'm sort of glad now that I never got the KF Gold Amex card... :p
is it? How about the step up accelerate miles? If u spend more n more mth by mth, your miles will earn more faster... that's wht the CSO told me.

But i can always call to waive off the annual fee
Old 16-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

got luggage ? nv saw leh..

ok la can make use of the airport lounge lol
Kittiejangster likes this.
sneggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.