HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

no minimum spending credit card?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

no minimum spending credit card?

Looking for recommendations for credit cards without any minimum spending. Most i'll ever use it on would be for top up ez-link card and paying at restaurants.

I also intend to get a DBS multiplier account, but there's no credit card given with it right?

Thanks in advance
LuckyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Dbs altitude, citi premier miles, uob Prvi, icbc world are a few no minimum spend cards. However the rebates they produce are not great - should be in the range of 1.5% cashback or 1.2-1.4 miles per dollar. Most of them exclude smrt spends by the way.

You can also consider citi smrt card - 2% cash back for Smrt auto reload over 30sgd and 5% on dining. It had a minimum spend requirement of 300sgd though. If you are confident that you will hit this (it is a very low minimum comparing to other cards), this is the one for you.
Lucky_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

I also intend to get a DBS multiplier account, but there's no credit card given with it right?
DBS Multiplier is a bank account and does not come bundled with a credit card. You can however look at getting one of the DBS/POSB credit cards (can't recommend a specific one) and get your total transactions - which must include salary credit and one other type of transaction - above S$2K to avail of bonus interest on the bank account balance.
vegavega25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dbs altitude, citi premier miles, uob Prvi, icbc world are a few no minimum spend cards. However the rebates they produce are not great - should be in the range of 1.5% cashback or 1.2-1.4 miles per dollar. Most of them exclude smrt spends by the way.

You can also consider citi smrt card - 2% cash back for Smrt auto reload over 30sgd and 5% on dining. It had a minimum spend requirement of 300sgd though. If you are confident that you will hit this (it is a very low minimum comparing to other cards), this is the one for you.
citi smrt card - 1.7% cash back for Smrt auto reload $40/$50 and 4.7% on fastfood/coffee (not for other dining). Get additional 0.3% if spend min $300 in the month. (still good even if dun meet $300)
Trazora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Not gonna clock much spending on it, not even for SP bills (got chope by others already)

Thanks for clarification on DBS multiplier account. Have intention to get it for the higher interest at least
LuckyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Scb unlimited cashback card and HSBC advanced card

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
paul02 likes this.
Henabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Scb unlimited cashback card and HSBC advanced card

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
maybank barcelona better
Old 28-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Master Member

I am currently using Citi smrt for both ezlink and fairprice groceries. It is good card.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Master Member

Looking for recommendations for credit cards without any minimum spending. Most i'll ever use it on would be for top up ez-link card and paying at restaurants.
For credit cards that truly have no minimum spending requirement, CIMB's are the only choices available to the general public in Singapore. All CIMB credit cards issued in Singapore are annual fee free for life. No pleading for annual fee waivers after you've only spent $68 in the past year, or whatever -- just no nonsense, fee free.

The next best card on that principle is Maybank's Platinum Visa, which requires only one charge every calendar quarter -- even a one penny charge -- to avoid its quarterly fee. So that's almost no minimum spending requirement.

Now, you're also looking to see if you can get some sort of points or rebates on EZ-Link top-ups and restaurant spending, specifically. And...not really with those particular credit cards, but I'm answering the question you asked. You can stuff a CIMB Platinum Mastercard in your wallet, keep it there, and never use it, and that's fine. It'll still start to build a credit history for you. (Well, maybe you'll want to use it occasionally for that. It's actually a very good card for overseas merchant spending.)

CIMB's Platinum Mastercard will give you a modest 0.2% rebate on your restaurant spending (and most other spending), which is not nothing -- and if you get lucky in your spending you might get a bigger rebate. Maybank's Platinum Visa will do better than that if you hit $300/month of spending.

Anyway, even though those credit cards aren't terrific for your particular purposes, that might be exactly the strategy you follow, then just use the best available debit card for your EZ-Link top-ups and restaurant spending. Most probably that very best debit card is Citibank's Tap and Save debit/ATM card. The Tap and Save debit card comes with a 2% rebate on EZ-Link top-ups (automatic, $30 per refill) and a 1% rebate on Mastercard spending, such as at restaurants. There's no minimum and no practical maximum. (I think total debit card spending is limited to $10,000/month.) You should not use that card outside Singapore (except perhaps for ATM cash withdrawals since it's one of the better Singapore issued cards for that), and that card does not work for any card-not-present spending, such as online purchases. And you must maintain a total balance of $15,000 across all your Citibank accounts -- their MaxiGain Savings Account is quite good as a place to hold most of that -- in order to avoid a monthly fall below fee.

If you can hit those marks, then I think that's what I'd do. Combine CIMB's free-to-keep Platinum Mastercard (and CIMB Visa Infinite if you qualify) with Citi's Tap and Save debit card, perhaps with a Maybank Platinum Visa mixed in, and you've got all bases covered.

Last edited by BBCWatcher; 28-06-2018 at 12:23 PM..
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

For credit cards that truly have no minimum spending requirement, CIMB's are the only choices available to the general public in Singapore. All CIMB credit cards issued in Singapore are annual fee free for life. No pleading for annual fee waivers after you've only spent $68 in the past year, or whatever -- just no nonsense, fee free.

The next best card on that principle is Maybank's Platinum Visa, which requires only one charge every calendar quarter -- even a one penny charge -- to avoid its quarterly fee. So that's almost no minimum spending requirement.

Now, you're also looking to see if you can get some sort of points or rebates on EZ-Link top-ups and restaurant spending, specifically. And...not really with those particular credit cards, but I'm answering the question you asked. You can stuff a CIMB Platinum Mastercard in your wallet, keep it there, and never use it, and that's fine. It'll still start to build a credit history for you. (Well, maybe you'll want to use it occasionally for that. It's actually a very good card for overseas merchant spending.)

CIMB's Platinum Mastercard will give you a modest 0.2% rebate on your restaurant spending (and most other spending), which is not nothing -- and if you get lucky in your spending you might get a bigger rebate. Maybank's Platinum Visa will do better than that if you hit $300/month of spending.

Anyway, even though those credit cards aren't terrific for your particular purposes, that might be exactly the strategy you follow, then just use the best available debit card for your EZ-Link top-ups and restaurant spending. Most probably that very best debit card is Citibank's Tap and Save debit/ATM card. The Tap and Save debit card comes with a 2% rebate on EZ-Link top-ups (automatic, $30 per refill) and a 1% rebate on Mastercard spending, such as at restaurants. There's no minimum and no practical maximum. (I think total debit card spending is limited to $10,000/month.) You should not use that card outside Singapore (except perhaps for ATM cash withdrawals since it's one of the better Singapore issued cards for that), and that card does not work for any card-not-present spending, such as online purchases. And you must maintain a total balance of $15,000 across all your Citibank accounts -- their MaxiGain Savings Account is quite good as a place to hold most of that -- in order to avoid a monthly fall below fee.

If you can hit those marks, then I think that's what I'd do. Combine CIMB's free-to-keep Platinum Mastercard (and CIMB Visa Infinite if you qualify) with Citi's Tap and Save debit card, perhaps with a Maybank Platinum Visa mixed in, and you've got all bases covered.
uh. why bother about annual fee? If they dun waive then just cancel the card.
Henabi likes this.
Old 28-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Master Member

uh. why bother about annual fee? If they dun waive then just cancel the card.
Yes, that's a possible approach, but then that card has (had) a minimum spending requirement, doesn't (didn't) it? The original poster asked what credit cards don't have a minimum spending requirement:

Looking for recommendations for credit cards without any minimum spending.
I'm merely answering the question asked. Isn't it important to answer the question asked? Nobody else did, so I did.
Old 28-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, that's a possible approach, but then that card has (had) a minimum spending requirement, doesn't (didn't) it? The original poster asked what credit cards don't have a minimum spending requirement:

I'm merely answering the question asked. Isn't it important to answer the question asked? Nobody else did, so I did.
we already listed the no minimum spending cards that the op asked for.
Old 28-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not gonna clock much spending on it, not even for SP bills (got chope by others already)

Thanks for clarification on DBS multiplier account. Have intention to get it for the higher interest at least
just take note that the the DBS multiplier iirc, is a current account, not the basic savings account.
Henabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Master Member

we already listed the no minimum spending cards that the op asked for.
No, all the other cards mentioned have minimum spending requirements expressed through their published annual fees.

You mentioned Maybank's FC Barcelona credit card. That credit card requires minimum annual spending of $10,000 to get an automatic $120 annual fee waiver. Manual fee waivers below that spending level are not predictable, but it should be safe to assume they won't be granted with trivial or zero spending.

It's important to answer the question asked, and it's a perfectly reasonable question. THEN provide other suggestions if you wish.
Old 28-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

No, all the other cards mentioned have minimum spending requirements expressed through their published annual fees.

You mentioned Maybank's FC Barcelona credit card. That credit card requires minimum annual spending of $10,000 to get an automatic $120 annual fee waiver. Manual fee waivers below that spending level are not predictable, but it should be safe to assume they won't be granted with trivial or zero spending.

It's important to answer the question asked, and it's a perfectly reasonable question. THEN provide other suggestions if you wish.
There has not been any issue to waive annual fees. Even if annual fees not waived then cancel and switch to another card, no fees paid at all.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.